• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Slower Traffic Keep Right

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
If I know someone behind me is as vehement about this as you are, I usually get into the speed lane (if I'm not already there) and slow down. As to how much, depends on the speed limit. If it's 65 I slow down to 50. If it's 55, I slow down to 51.

If you move closer, I wave in the mirror, and put my right blinker on (but stay in the left lane).

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

On Chi-Town toll roads and free ways - you'd get a rightly deserved ticket for CAUZING A TRAFFIC HAZZARD. If traffic is moving at 10 or 15 or even 20 miles per hour (as is the norm on 294, 94, 355, 80, etc), and you decide to play "enforcer". YOU are going to cause an accident. Maybe even kill dead a few people. You serve nobody but your little ego playing your game. I know state cops that have issued tickets for reckless driving for your type of traffic violation.

Last edited:

Ricochet

waybomb said:
On Chi-Town toll raods and free ways - you'd get a rightly deserved ticket for CAUZING A TRAFFIC HAZZARD. If traffic is moving at 10 or 15 or even 20 miles per hour (as is the norm on 294, 94, 355, 80, etc), and you decide to play "enforcer". YOU are going to cause an accident. Maybe even kill dead a few people. You serve nobody but your little ego playing your game. I have know state cops that have issued tickets for reckless driving for your type of traffic violation.

Wow, Plain Vanilla rocks...love the nice noise video clip! :thumb:

BTW, sure we have speed limits but it does not give people the right to go slower than everybody else in the fast lane to prove a point. The slower traffic keep right signs are there for a reason...plain and simple! :17875:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ricochet said:
Wow, Plain Vanilla rocks...love the nice noise video clip! :thumb:

It sounds better when you plug your pc into your home stereo! I still don't understand WHY my wife yells at me about this all winter when I can't do it for real. What is it with women anyway?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's interesting that the people that like to hog the fast lane don't think that they are being uncourteous or in some states unlawful.

In general the slower traffic keep right thing really just comes down to courtesy. There is very little of that these days. Personally, I would like to leave more room in front of my truck when exiting the highway onto a busy exit but if I don't hug the bumper in front of me about 20 people will cut in front of me.

I feel sorry for truckers when these losers cut in front of them.

Really though, is it that hard to just use the left lane for passing? That's what it was originally intended for?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Swoop and squat will get you arrested for a criminal act (in any state) if the fool you are trying to slow down hits you. Not all rear-end collisions are the fault of the person in the rear, like is commonly thought.

Maybe you're trying to do the right thing, but let it go. Laugh when you drive past them being pulled over for speeding, not when you or your family members are being helicopter-ed out with a broken neck (or worse)from a high speed collision.

Dumb is dumb and that's real dumb. :pat:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen mention of "swoop and squat" on that Allstate commercial, but I still don't know what it is. Any explanation of us sloooow people?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I've seen mention of "swoop and squat" on that Allstate commercial, but I still don't know what it is. Any explanation of us sloooow people?

What "DAP" does -
"If I know someone behind me is as vehement about this as you are, I usually get into the speed lane (if I'm not already there) and slow down. As to how much, depends on the speed limit. If it's 65 I slow down to 50. If it's 55, I slow down to 51.

If you move closer, I wave in the mirror, and put my right blinker on (but stay in the left lane)."

A VERY dangerous driver.

Ricochet

Dargo said:

When someone swoops in front of you (maybe while you are distracted) and squats by jamming on the brakes giving you no time to avoid them. Thus, causing a fender bender or worse and they act all hurt and stuff for insurance claims. I think that's pretty much it.

humor_me

PBinWA said:
Well stated! Not only is it the law in most states, it is just common courtesy and makes the whole traffic system work better.
PB

You know, way back when we had Driver's Education, these guys were like a cross between a State Trooper and a drill sergant.
What these men said were LAW in that class.
Slower traffic keep right was drilled into us daily, so was such things as when you pull out on the road, do so ONLY when you can do so without interfering with any other driver. No one should have to slow down or steer around you as you come up to speed. In other words, your presence on the road should be transparent to other drivers.

Very wise men were they. I think they may have been off-duty or retired troopers.:a1: No one knows these laws more than those guys who judge us and our driving habits for 20-30 years.:eek:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Personally, I would like to leave more room in front of my truck when exiting the highway onto a busy exit but if I don't hug the bumper in front of me about 20 people will cut in front of me.

So what if they cut in front of you, you are getting off the highway also right? I will let those that show courteousy and drive up, use turn signals, and dont "hog" their way over, or try to, I will let them in. NO, you dont have the right to cut in front of me, that is dangerous and illegal in some states. Point is, get over with plenty of time, and do it safely.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
humor_me said:
You know, way back when we had Driver's Education, these guys were like a cross between a State Trooper and a drill sergant.
What these men said were LAW in that class.
Slower traffic keep right was drilled into us daily, so was such things as when you pull out on the road, do so ONLY when you can do so without interfering with any other driver. No one should have to slow down or steer around you as you come up to speed. In other words, your presence on the road should be transparent to other drivers.

Very wise men were they. I think they may have been off-duty or retired troopers.:a1: No one knows these laws more than those guys who judge us and our driving habits for 20-30 years.:eek:

And there were a few billion less cars on the road. and a few less hurried up, cant be late, leave to late, hurry up to wait drivers on the road. those days are gone.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ricochet said:
When someone swoops in front of you (maybe while you are distracted) and squats by jamming on the brakes giving you no time to avoid them. Thus, causing a fender bender or worse and they act all hurt and stuff for insurance claims. I think that's pretty much it.

this is NOT what I was talking about, this is insurance stuff. I was mentioning if someone comes around a legal speed driver in the fast lane and cuts them off, and they have to use their brakes, and get hit in the rear end, then it is the guy at the REAR of the accidents fault...........period.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Sure hope that all you road hogs don't ever go to Europe and drive the highways over there. Your life expectancy will be about 30 seconds and then if you are still alive, you will have a cop on your ass. No matter what the speed limit, you don't stay in the left lane except to pass. If someone flashes the lights at you and you don't get over, they most likely will push you out of the way.

JimR

Charter Member
Junkman said:
Sure hope that all you road hogs don't ever go to Europe and drive the highways over there. Your life expectancy will be about 30 seconds and then if you are still alive, you will have a cop on your ass. No matter what the speed limit, you don't stay in the left lane except to pass. If someone flashes the lights at you and you don't get over, they most likely will push you out of the way.

Now if we could only do that here it would get the idiots off the roads.:yum: :yum: :yum:

Gatorboy

ddrane2115 said:
Yeah, it means slower than me, and I am in the fast lane going 10 to 15 more than posted, well if you want to get around, GO AROUND. If you flash me, I will wave, but wont get over. And if getting over is not such a problem for me, why is it for you.

See, I knew there were people ignorant of the rule. If someone is going 20 over the posted and you are going 15 over the posted, YOU ARE SLOWER TRAFFIC. The concept is simple, move over when someone is coming up on you and traffic will flow much smoother -- regardless of what speeds you want plug into the equation.

I have driven on the Autobahn in Germany a few times and I must say, everyone knows how the rule works. What an enjoyable experience it was.

Gatorboy

DAP said:
If I know someone behind me is as vehement about this as you are, I usually get into the speed lane (if I'm not already there) and slow down. As to how much, depends on the speed limit. If it's 65 I slow down to 50. If it's 55, I slow down to 51.

If you move closer, I wave in the mirror, and put my right blinker on (but stay in the left lane).

So, what you are saying is you like to be a rude ass on the highway when someone else expects you to follow the rules of the road and common courtesy.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I'm vehement about this? I am just trying to determine how so many people can't comprehend the simple concept of "Slower Traffic Keep Right".

I also wonder why so many people can't figure out how to work their turn signals. I guess they assume everyone can "read their minds".

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:

Yes, Junk, you're right, except it's the right lane there that is the fast lane. Just ask me how I know that.:eek:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Unreal!! I can't understand how people that are breaking the law, have the right to get to get burned at others that aren't breaking a law. Could this just be another case of the delusion that the world revolves around "ME", and you don't matter ?

Gator, yep, sometimes I won't use a signal, at least my right one. Seems a lot of "I'm Important/Impatient" drivers take that as, it's okay to pull out, he has his signal on. I was taught that my signals were a warning to drivers behind and beside me as to what my intentions are. Not the soccermom/dad at the intersection I'm turning right, as a go light for them to pull into traffic.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, and if impatient aggressive driving isn't ignorance, I'm not sure what is.

Danny, your welcome to drive with me anytime!:thumb::tiphat::beer::beer:

daedong

An interesting thread, some of you might like to try driving 500 miles or so on roads like this. Queensland is notorious for roads like this and when a road train is heading at you pull over if you want to stay alive. If you are stuck behind a roadtrain the only way past is CB communication with the roadtrain driver.

pic30440589-9620-49ff-84c5-9174f4afee1c.jpg

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, I could live with that! Sounds like fun to me, that is, if I was driving the roadtrain. Those things are very impressive!!!:thumb::coolshade

Oh yeah, that's the way things are Down Under, and that's fine. :D

Gatorboy

johnday said:
Unreal!! I can't understand how people that are breaking the law, have the right to get to get burned at others that aren't breaking a law.

The same "rule" applies if the speed limit is 55 and someone is driving 54 mph in the left lane and someone driving 55 (the posted limit) comes up from behind. Do you think those signs on the highway that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" are there for looks?

If you just sit back and think about it, if everyone would apply the rule while driving, the roadways would flow extremely well. For some reason everyone who chooses to ignore the rule always wants to refer to the extreme speeder instead of the common situation of someone driving a couple mph faster than someone else, which starts the backlog of cars in the left lane who would like to pass but can't because some doof would rather run the same speed as the guy in the right lane for miles instead of speeding up or down to get over into the right lane.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
See, I knew there were people ignorant of the rule. If someone is going 20 over the posted and you are going 15 over the posted, YOU ARE SLOWER TRAFFIC. The concept is simple, move over when someone is coming up on you and traffic will flow much smoother -- regardless of what speeds you want plug into the equation.

I have driven on the Autobahn in Germany a few times and I must say, everyone knows how the rule works. What an enjoyable experience it was.

I knew there were people who no matter what think they own the road, or are the only ones there. Sorry if I am 15 over, I am in the fast lane for a reason, I am faster than the average speed, not going anywhere

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm all for slower traffic stay right, I've no problem with that. My point is the drivers that are speeding and know they are. They are breaking the law. I think we all agree that the slower traffic belongs to the right. But we're splitting hairs on what the slower traffic is. If you're speeding, say 75 in a 70, you are breaking the law. Now if I'm driving 70, and I go around someone thats going 68, let's say, and you at 75 come slamming up my ass, there's a problem, and it aint me. I'm not saying you actually do this, it's just an example.

You're absolutely right!!!! If everyone "would" obey the rules, [speed limits, no tailgating, etc], it would be bliss. But it seems some want to pick and choose which laws to observe.

I've gotten caught out in the left lane before by a couple jerkwaters that wouldn't let me over, I ran from 65-75, back and forth, until I got a helping hand from a semi. The fools were so busy with what they were doing, they didn't notice me on the radio. Long story short, they learned their lesson.:tiphat::beer:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
The same "rule" applies if the speed limit is 55 and someone is driving 54 mph in the left lane and someone driving 55 (the posted limit) comes up from behind. Do you think those signs on the highway that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" are there for looks?

If you just sit back and think about it, if everyone would apply the rule while driving, the roadways would flow extremely well. For some reason everyone who chooses to ignore the rule always wants to refer to the extreme speeder instead of the common situation of someone driving a couple mph faster than someone else, which starts the backlog of cars in the left lane who would like to pass but can't because some doof would rather run the same speed as the guy in the right lane for miles instead of speeding up or down to get over into the right lane.

I would love to be a cop with some of the "fast lane drivers" that have displayed their desires here. In most of KY, 15 over is the limit, 16 and you have just paid for a piece of the road, 20 and guess what.........hot and a cot for the nite. Unfortunately, we dont have enough cops out there.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Unreal!! I can't understand how people that are breaking the law, have the right to get to get burned at others that aren't breaking a law. Could this just be another case of the delusion that the world revolves around "ME", and you don't matter ?

John, Danny, etc. What you seem to miss is that YOU are breaking the law too.

Sure, I admit that I am a speeder. I speed on the highways and in rural byways. Get into the slow lane and get out of my way. The law says you are in violation and YOU are subject to a ticket. Your violation is "failure to yield right of way" and while I admit to breaking the law by speeding, you need to also admit to breaking the law by not moving over!

BTW, just because I may speed, you should not consider me an "aggressive" driver. I do not tailgate. I do not shake my fist in anger.

I will occasionally (although it is very rare) flash my lights to get your f...ing attention when you are too busy to see people around you because you are chatting on the phone with your girlfriends, or you are turned backwards scolding your unruley children, or you are reading a newspaper or novel, or you are eating your lunch, or you are putting on your make-up.

Get real fellas, you are breaking the law. And I know a couple cops who have pulled over people for obstructing traffic and failure to yield. Heck, one works in my office. He loves to thump people who believe (wrongfully) that they are doing a public service by preventing others from speeding. What he often sees is a "vigilante" attitude in those people and he tells that to the judge when they fight (and lose) their case in court.

:soapbox:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, sorry to say but I am not going to get a ticket for driving 15 over in the fast lane. IF I did, I would fight it in court............and my truck has gps that tracks my speed also.

The whole jist of this thread has been get the f**k out of my way............Hell figgin NO! If you are in that big of a hurry, YOU change lanes and get back over. If you want to ride my bumper, fine...........I aint goin nowhere. In other words, I can be as big an ass as anyone!

NOW, if I notice that you want to go faster, and I can SAFELY get over and there is room for me to do that, I will gladly let you be my radar gun and get the ticket for YOUR violation. IF, you as a business owner who has people on the road delivering where to get a call from a motorist about one of YOUR trucks driving like you say you do, what would you do? As I stated once, there is a number on my truck, and in a day at most my supervisor has a report on his desk with my name on it.............guess what? If it is that I would not move over for a speeder, no big deal, he laughs with me, and tells them tough. IF it is that I caused someone to brake because I cut them off moving out of your way...............then my ass is in the can.

I protect my priviledge to drive their vehicle. I obey the laws, I am not a jerk, although I have to deal with many of them daily on the roads.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Bob! I'm not entirely sure who is missing the point. What I'm saying is that if I'm in the left lane, there's a reason for it, such as going around slower traffic that is where they should be. In that case, I'm the faster traffic, and doing what I should do. Using signals, maintaining my speed , and all the other stuff. But if someone comes cranking up behind me speeding, I can't see how they warrant getting POed at me when I'm going the legal limit. And yes, as soon as I can, I will get back in the right lane, as soon as I'm clear to do so. Why should I windup being the idiot?:D:confused:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Danny, you are simply wrong.

Yes, I want you to get out of my way, but I won't ride your bumper. I will hang back at a reasonable distance and just be pissed at you for being a road hog, a jerk, or simply clueless.

Please re-read the posts. I am NOT the aggressive driver who rides up your tail and acts like a jerk.

I do drive fast, if you are 15mph over the limit and I am 20mph over the limit it is your legal requirement to move over.

Your post is excatly why I don't ride up the butts of drivers in front of me, because you clearly state that you are willing to be an asshole, while I clearly state that I am not willing to be one. I just want you to be aware of the laws. And if your GPS will track your speed, then you will get a ticket for speeding in court and you will lose if you show that you were 15mph over the limit. So you might end up with 2 tickets, one for failure to yield and another for speeding.

Now get out of my way, pay attention to the road, and don't even think about lumping me into the aggressive driver category.