• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Gatorboy

For the life of me I can't determine why the concept of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" seems to baffle so many drivers.

Could it be that so many people are just ignorant of the rules of the road? How complicated is it to move over to the right when someone comes up on you in the left (passing/fast) lane?

Maybe people just like to add to the traffic jam problems around the country -- I haven't a clue.

If you are driving 90 mph in the left lane and someone comes up from behind -- guess what? YOU are slower traffic -- GET OVER! I for one don't drive 90, I was just trying to make a point that the speed limit does not mean squat when dealing with the simple rule of "slower traffic keep right"

I'd like to hear some thoughts from those that love to sit in the left-hand lane and use it as a travel lane, and are oblivious to those around them.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
And I thought I was peculiar in this respect. This has been a major pet peeve of mine for years. Of course now that I am no longer in as much of a hurry, it does not bother me as much.:17875:

Ricochet

This is my biggest per peeve when driving...no doubt it! It drive me nuts sometimes...you know this happens when I keep saying Jackass while driving or JA (clean version) when the kids are in the car! :17875:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You hit on my biggest pet peeve also. I have to think they know. At times they seem to purposely not pass the car in the right lane and ride close to side by side apparently to see how much they can back up traffic. I can't fathom an excuse for riding the left lane. It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to defend that kind of driving.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I don't believe it is that simple and I believe that the speed limit SHOULD have some bearing. I typically travel between 5-10 mph over the limit when doing long runs on interstate or major highways. Heck, that seems to be the norm these days. Why should I constantly have to go back and forth between lanes for every goofball that wants to travel at 20+ mph over the limit. Frankly I think I'm doing myself and the other drivers on the road a favor by forcing Mario Andretti types to, albeit temporarily, return to a reasonable speed. And yes, in almost all circumstances, I think 90 mph is a bit fast for John Q. Public to be cruising along at, especially when traffic is moderate or more. If on the other hand you're the lone egg in the basket, then knock yourself out. I just don't think that most of the driving public's vehicle handleing skills warrant that kind of speed. Besides it's just plain rude! If I'm cruisin along at 80 in a 70 zone, in the left hand lane and you're clippin along at 90+ and we're the only two people on the road, You can go around me and we'll all live happily ever after. At least I'm surer about my chances over yours.

ARRIVE ALIVE........:17875:

Gatorboy

Cowboyjg said:
If I'm cruisin along at 80 in a 70 zone, in the left hand lane and you're clippin along at 90+ and we're the only two people on the road, You can go around me and we'll all live happily ever after.

So "slower traffic keep right" means nothing to you? Why should someone have to go around YOU when you are going slower than someone behind you in the left lane? This is why you are adding to the problem of people darting in and out -- if you'd get over, traffic would flow much more smoothly. I guess you'd rather have everyone else line up behind you creating a bottleneck instead of doing the proper thing and moving to the right. I know, moving over is such a difficult task.

It's not YOUR JOB to determine what speed is proper on the highway. The same rule applies even if the guy behind you is going the exact speed limit and you are going slightly slower. It's a simple rule that many people just flat out ignore or are clueless too.

BTW, if you and the other guy were the only one on the road, what the heck are you doing travelling in the left-hand lane anyway -- DOH!

I suppose you are probably also the type when someone comes up on you and gives you the "courtesy flash" to let you know they are coming up on you, that you give them the finger.

Last edited:

humor_me

Gatorboy said:
For the life of me I can't determine why the concept of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" seems to baffle so many drivers.

Could it be that so many people are just ignorant of the rules of the road? How complicated is it to move over to the right when someone comes up on you in the left (passing/fast) lane?

Maybe people just like to add to the traffic jam problems around the country -- I haven't a clue.

If you are driving 90 mph in the left lane and someone comes up from behind -- guess what? YOU are slower traffic -- GET OVER! I for one don't drive 90, I was just trying to make a point that the speed limit does not mean squat when dealing with the simple rule of "slower traffic keep right"

I'd like to hear some thoughts from those that love to sit in the left-hand lane and use it as a travel lane, and are oblivious to those around them.

Gatorboy,
I hear you. And you can forget about honking or flashing the passing lights etc. it only serves to bury their head deeper up their ass.:pat:
My best guess is the idiots (slower tgraffic) are in their own world - on vacation with the cruise control on etc. And they could care less about the maniacs (faster traffic). I kind of think they are the same people who believe that the world is THIERS.
Maybe they think I was here first in this space & time (who knows how an insane person's mind(?) works.):confused:

humor_me

Cowboyjg said:
I think 90 mph is a bit fast for John Q. Public to be cruising along at:17875:

THAT IS NOT YOUR DECISION OR YOUR JOB.

Get the He#& out of the left hand lane, and let traffic flow.

One never knows what reason JQP has for being in a hurry. There are many good reasons. It does not matter what you think the valid reason is for someone to be in a hurry. It is not your call. The law states for slower traffic to keep right. PERIOD.

Ricochet

Gatorboy said:
So "slower traffic keep right" means nothing to you? Why should someone have to go around YOU when you are going slower than someone behind you in the left lane? This is why you are adding to the problem of people darting in and out -- if you'd get over, traffic would flow much more smoothly. I guess you'd rather have everyone else line up behind you creating a bottleneck instead of doing the proper thing and moving to the right. I know, moving over is such a difficult task.

It's not YOUR JOB to determine what speed is proper on the highway. The same rule applies even if the guy behind you is going the exact speed limit and you are going slightly slower. It's a simple rule that many people just flat out ignore or are clueless too.

BTW, if you and the other guy were the only one on the road, what the heck are you doing travelling in the left-hand lane anyway -- DOH!

I suppose you are probably also the type when someone comes up on you and gives you the "courtesy flash" to let you know they are coming up on you, that you give them the finger.

Well said! I don't mind the courtesy flash...it tells me the guy is a fast mover and knows road etiquette and I get out of the way. It’s similar to flashing a big rig that it is clear to change lanes. Making people go around you on the right is not safer in my book and it’s actually against the law on the German Autobahn (for good reason I'm sure)…where people will literally tap your bumper if you don’t get out of the way after a courtesy flash.

http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/autobahn.htm#regs

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I drive 160 miles round-trip for work M-F. I pride myself on being a very efficient driver. I don't drive 90+ mph. There is a difference between driving fast and driving efficiently. I am constantly aware of all drivers around me for as far as I can see. I drive in the right lane all the time. I PASS in the left lane, I never drive in the left lane. If I am approaching a car in the right lane traveling slower than me, I move to the left lane to pass them. I can't count how many times on a daily basis I pass cars in the right lane. I don't move to the right lane to pass them, I'm already there and just keep on going by them. Why are they in the left lane?:pat: I just want to beat my head against the steering wheel when I approach two cars side-by-side going the exact same speed. I get behind one of them, then the other, then try driving behind both of them in the middle. They are clueless.:pat: I just want to scream when I get to the front of a long line of cars backed up and find that the cause is some slow moving vehicle in the left lane making all other vehicles pass them in the right lane:gun2_smi: .
Needless to say, I think Dave is right on with his post!

Lawrence

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
humor_me said:

One never knows what reason JQP has for being in a hurry. There are many good reasons. It does not matter what you think the valid reason is for someone to be in a hurry. It is not your call. The law states for slower traffic to keep right. PERIOD.

Well stated! Not only is it the law in most states, it is just common courtesy and makes the whole traffic system work better.

Left lane hogs are the same as people that don't obey the right hand rule at 4 way intersections, or stop to wave pedestrians across a road when other traffic may not be aware a pedestrian is out in the road.

The rules of the road are fairly well thought out and if everyone would pay attention to them then the system would work that much better.

I think it is pure laziness that people stay in the left lane. It takes minimal effort to change lanes and if you aren't comfortable changing lanes then perhaps you shouldn't be on the road.

PB

Ricochet

humor_me said:

Actually, I don't think there is a rule or law against going slow in the fast lane (???...if so, it is rarely enforced) but just common courtesy/sense or etiquette to move over to the right…unless of course you are driving under the minimum speed limit.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboyjg said:
And yes, in almost all circumstances, I think 90 mph is a bit fast for John Q. Public to be cruising along at, especially when traffic is moderate or more.
Phew... I'm glad my name's not John.

When "moderate or more", I normally see 2 lanes going 2 specific speeds. Around here, left lane is normally running 10-15 over, right lane is 5 over.
You just pick which you prefer and go with the flow.

Now... on the open road (and I'm referring to Interstate Highways here, not being the sole driver on a back road)... I have no problem or issue with cruising along at 90 or so. The driver is 1/2 of the variable, the vehicle is the other 1/2. You won't catch me doing those speeds in a 20 year old pickup or a Chevette but the vehicles I drive, that's almost (but not quite) the vehicles "cruising" speed. Yep. Not efficient, but I'm the one paying the fuel...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This issue drives me nuts virtually every day. I drive a 4 lane rural highway to work. Many people who need to turn left will get into the left lane 5 or 10 miles BEFORE they need to turn and then drive 55mph.

First issue is the speed limit is 60mph on this road.

Second problem is the prevailing speed at 6am is roughly 70mph!

Get the f... out of the way!!!

JimR

Charter Member
This is really an assburner for me too. I used to drive the Turnpike to go back and forth to work at my last job. I also do a bit of turnpike driving to pick up things like tools. The biggest idiots in the "left lane hog go slow" are women. Not only are they totally oblivious to their surroundings. But they are completely blind as to when you are 5 feet off their rear bumper in a pretty tall F250 flashing your high beams during the day. I rode one woman for at least a half mile one day doing 65mph in the left lane. Yup, you guessed it, the speed limit was 65mph. She finally realized that I was litterally up her ass and almost freaked out. Where her brain was is beyond me. Actually, I think she was sitting on it. I also see many older people riding in the left lane doing the speed limit. I think they do this for fear of getting hit by incoming traffic on the on ramps. They also know the left side is protected as there is no traffic over there. It makes me cringe everytime I get behind someone like this. There is one way I see these people move. That is whn a state trooper comes up behind them and flashes the blue lights. They move over so fast and stay put.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I get to drive between 40k and 50k miles per year all over our country. I do not own a radar detector and I have not had a speeding ticket since 1978, and that was my one and only. Having said that, I figure that I've likely driven as many miles in the last 20 years or so as most people will drive in a lifetime. So, if I were to speed very often, I would have a file cabinet full of speeding tickets already, but I don't

Although I generally make it a habit of not speeding, at times I would like to be able to run 5 to 8 miles per hour over the posted speed limit on the open highway. I don't think that is being unreasonable. When I get some righteous asshole whip over in the left lane and pace granny at 50 mph on the interstate where our speed limit is 70, I'm not too happy. That is when the person who has taken it upon themselves to teach me a lesson will get a bit of aggressive driving by me. I wouldn't call it road rage, but maybe just showing them that I didn't learn whatever lesson they were trying to teach me.

I'm surprised that Bob didn't comment about how the people in Chicago seem to handle this situation. Since I've had the wonderful pleasure of driving through Chicago twice in the last month during "rush" (yeah, what is rushing?) hour, I noticed how they handle this situation; they pass on the shoulder, median, or make their own lane! :eek: I didn't see this once, twice or even a few times. I saw this dozens and dozens of times. It appeared that a couple of the 'shoulder drivers' were offering to help pay part of the next frickin' toll (what's up with all of those anyway? - I blasted through one by accident; I suppose I'll find out if I get a ticket in the mail) because the shoulder driver seemed to be throwing spare change at the slow drivers in the left lane. Although I didn't join in with the fun and games, I'd have to say that some of the left lane losers deserved the monetary donations they were getting! :applause:

Besides, if someone takes it upon themselves to teach me a lesson by plugging up the left lane when I'm in a hurry, it could cause an accident. If I ever have to rush one of my kids to the emergency room and am trying to hurry across town in my 4 ton pickup and someone tries to block me, well..., you know what will happen. :tiphat:

Overall, I don't know if it is just that people are that rude or if they are simply that stupid. I hate to say it, but I'd bet that a large percentage of people who frequent another website may be the drivers we are talking about who fall into the 'stupid' category. Some of those people may honestly think the left lane is the go slow and gawk lane. Whadda ya think?

Ricochet

Dargo said:
Overall, I don't know if it is just that people are that rude or if they are simply that stupid. I hate to say it, but I'd bet that a large percentage of people who frequent another website may be the drivers we are talking about who fall into the 'stupid' category. Some of those people may honestly think the left lane is the go slow and gawk lane. Whadda ya think?

:agree:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have seen many people get stopped for driving in the left lane when they are not passing other cars on RT 495 in MA and the MA Pike. Seems that the State Police will let you speed if the whole line of traffic is moving at the same pace, but they will pull you over if you don't get out of the left lane. More than once, I have seen them get behind a car and follow it for a few miles before they turn on the lights and siren. Then it is too late. If you get out of their way, more often than not, they will let the speeding slide, unless you are 20 MPH over the posted speed limit. I, on the other hand, got stopped for doing 35 MPH in a 30 MPH zone!!! I did get a pass on that because of extenuating circumstances...... I knew another cop in town...

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Well. If your in the left lane speeding, and some asshole like me happens to be in front of YOU, impeeding YOUR progress, guess what? YOU might want to slow down to the limit and quit tailgating me, and get off YOUR damn cellphone! Like it or not, I don't think YOU'RE that important! When I'm there it's for a reason, like passing a slower vehicle, or maybe I read the road signs that said, Right Lane closed ahead.
Ask any trucker what one of the biggest problems are, and he'll most likely mention the speed differential between vehicles, and I agree. In Michigan, semis limit is 55, cars and light trucks 70. And then you get the NASCAR wannabes in their mini-cars that just have to be going 75-80.
My point is, if you're illegal, don't get pissed at someone that is driving the limit. Yeah, he should be in the right or center lane, unless passing, or moving over because an emergency vehicle is on the shoulder.
The speed limits are there for a reason, although the one for semis is goofy, it's the law.
I too drive megamiles a year, usually with a loaded truck/trailer combination, and have had the snot scared out of me because of lousy drivers, most of them either speeding, yapping on a cellphone, or passing on the wrong side after they cut you off so you couldn't get back in the right lane. And yes, many times, all of the last.:tiphat::beer::beer::soapbox:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
So "slower traffic keep right" means nothing to you? I know, moving over is such a difficult task.

Yeah, it means slower than me, and I am in the fast lane going 10 to 15 more than posted, well if you want to get around, GO AROUND. If you flash me, I will wave, but wont get over. And if getting over is not such a problem for me, why is it for you.

And IF some sob decides to really fly by me, I hope he has a unit number, he will be called on. Yeah I have one on my truck, and if I am seen doing 15 over guess what, some sob calls on me for speeding to get out of your way..............NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

sorry dude, you have hit a nerve. We can all get along on the road. 2 rules, LEAVE earlier, and don't get hurt getting to where you dont want to be anyway.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
kensfarm said:
There are so many idiots out on the road.. it's hard to just pick on one type.

yeah some do more than 20 over the limit and still want those doing 15 over to get the hell off the road.

Sorry I pay taxes, and I try to be courteous. Some JA just will not let it be that way.

We have a place in our system that you can get in to get off the one highway to get on another. it is in a turn, some asshole pos will go all the way up the second lane to cut in line at the exit...........when the line is 1/4 mile back. Problem is he is STOPPED in the friggin second lane and it straight thru. Now traffic coming around the turn does not see JA sitting waiting his turn to cut in line, now they have to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting him. I think they should put up barriers back about a 1/2 mile to MAKE them get in line to get off the highway. Many accidents here and still they dont fix it.

just my rant on a screwed up interchange.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought a speed limit was there for a reason. Do I like them? No, but they're there. The limits are set "prima facia", whch means under different conditions the limit needs to be different. They are set for ideal conditions. Now if conditions are no longer ideal, 65 may be too fast. I can't think of any condition, unless your wife is giving birth, that anyone has the right to push my ass down the road and flash your lights in my mirror. You'd better hold on because you may be going for a wild ride in a second or two.

Now, that I got that out of my system, I do try to be cognizant of every vehicle around me. If I see another vehicle coming up behind me, and I can safely get out of his/her way, I'll do my best to do so. And yes I've been known to exceed them at times like everyone else, but certainly not riding someones ass doing 90.

DAP

Gatorboy said:

Could it be that so many people are just ignorant of the rules of the road? How complicated is it .....

If I know someone behind me is as vehement about this as you are, I usually get into the speed lane (if I'm not already there) and slow down. As to how much, depends on the speed limit. If it's 65 I slow down to 50. If it's 55, I slow down to 51.

If you move closer, I wave in the mirror, and put my right blinker on (but stay in the left lane).

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
This issue drives me nuts virtually every day. I drive a 4 lane rural highway to work. Many people who need to turn left will get into the left lane 5 or 10 miles BEFORE they need to turn and then drive 55mph.

First issue is the speed limit is 60mph on this road.

Second problem is the prevailing speed at 6am is roughly 70mph!

Get the f... out of the way!!!

Hey Bob, you gonna let them get BACK IN when they need to turn off the highway? this is another of my peeves. Driving in the fast lane at way to fast, then when your exit is on the right, the person cuts everyone off like he owns the road. Hey dude, it is the RIGHT lane now, and we were here while you sped along to get where you are going. Happens all the time here, and I usually dont let them in if they wait till 100' to the exit. Most of the time you have to "slow down" to let the faster driver in anyway.

I travel KY to the tune of about 50, 000 miles a year, it is the same all over.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
JimR said:
This is really an assburner for me too. I used to drive the Turnpike to go back and forth to work at my last job. I also do a bit of turnpike driving to pick up things like tools. The biggest idiots in the "left lane hog go slow" are women. Not only are they totally oblivious to their surroundings. But they are completely blind as to when you are 5 feet off their rear bumper in a pretty tall F250 flashing your high beams during the day. I rode one woman for at least a half mile one day doing 65mph in the left lane. Yup, you guessed it, the speed limit was 65mph. She finally realized that I was litterally up her ass and almost freaked out. Where her brain was is beyond me. Actually, I think she was sitting on it. I also see many older people riding in the left lane doing the speed limit. I think they do this for fear of getting hit by incoming traffic on the on ramps. They also know the left side is protected as there is no traffic over there. It makes me cringe everytime I get behind someone like this. There is one way I see these people move. That is whn a state trooper comes up behind them and flashes the blue lights. They move over so fast and stay put.

And if this person were to have to stop fast, you would have caused a very serious accident, maybe even killed someone. Guess what, you are not the ONLY owner of the road. Depends on the traffic, but what if someone else that had your attitude went around her, then cut in front of her and she hit her brakes................dude you are at fault, period. And NO, complaining to the cop about her doing the speed limit will not get you out of at fault.