• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Police: Officer fired for demanding free coffee

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup. I live in the State with Obama.

It's payback for services rendered for our community.

So what do the firemen and paramedics get? What about public works? All they get for serving our community is a paycheck.

"Serving Our Community"..... what DOES that mean? Waiters serve tables. Cops in our community "serve" and get a base of around $45K plus the best benefits.... plus a pension. Not too shabby. I rather buy the guy shlepping pallets.... working shitty hours and trying to survive for minimum wage a cup of joe. He NEEDS it.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Sushi,

For what it is worth, most police officers don't "Hang" with the general pubic as a rule. They all go to the same bar, restaurant and the like on their off duty time. The job is such that most people can't relate to someone that is in law enforcement and how they are always "On". You may have dated one, but you never got to walk the walk you might say. You may have gotten to know a bunch of cops, but they will not let you into their world. It is at times a pretty lonely world, you come home at night after having some kid die in your arms from a drunk driver, bank teller had her face blown off in a robbery, young girl raped and murdered... You can't relate to even your wife or "Civilian" friends on what you do, which is why divorce is so high for police officers and they "Hang" together... they can relate to each other. The suicide rate for retired cops is very high because of that too.

I came home one night after a drunk killed a family of four, gave CPR to a five year old boy that was the best candidate to survive, he didn't and when I got home I went out into the woods and threw up. The drunk didn't have scratch on him...

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup. I live in the State with Obama.

So what do the firemen and paramedics get? What about public works? All they get for serving our community is a paycheck.

"Serving Our Community"..... what DOES that mean? Waiters serve tables. Cops in our community "serve" and get a base of around $45K plus the best benefits.... plus a pension. Not too shabby. I rather buy the guy shlepping pallets.... working shitty hours and trying to survive for minimum wage a cup of joe. He NEEDS it.
Fireman and paramedics get plenty in this town too Sushi.
I rub shoulders with them, and a lot of them are the husbands of the nurses I work with.
Free drinks at The Rustic ( a pub here in town) on their off hours, of course, and meals on the house.
It all depends on your city and what's going on.
I think smaller towns tend to take care of their own, if you know what I mean. ;)

American Woman

Site Supporter
This may help you a bit to understand the differance...

If you put a public notice up that stated that the "Police Officers or Soldiers in Uniform get free coffee and donuts", it would not be a bribe, because it is public and not under the table as a "Wink, wink" would be. That way the officer is not expecting anything other than coffee and donuts, and you are not asking for anything, just a statement. Any benefit that you would get from that is totally ethical from that point and unsolicited.

It may however, be against the Police Department "policy", but I really doubt it would be an issue if it is out in the open and not in the shadows. The only complaints would be from other venders that don't have a clue.
Good point foggy :wink:

You mean when they have signs stating free coffee for senior citizens, they are not trying to bribe them???
:yum: I've been known to say when they remind us about a senior discount I say" quit 'cha bragg 'in! Around here we're all equal." :yum:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Fireman and paramedics get plenty in this town too Sushi.
I rub shoulders with them, and a lot of them are the husbands of the nurses I work with.
Free drinks at The Rustic ( a pub here in town) on their off hours, of course, and meals on the house.
It all depends on your city and what's going on.
I think smaller towns tend to take care of their own, if you know what I mean. ;)

Now those are Perks!!! :shock: Crikey!!!!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
For what it is worth, most police officers don't "Hang" with the general pubic as a rule. They all go to the same bar, restaurant and the like on their off duty time. The job is such that most people can't relate to someone that is in law enforcement and how they are always "On". You may have dated one, but you never got to walk the walk you might say. You may have gotten to know a bunch of cops, but they will not let you into their world.

Dude thats why all we hung out with were COPS!!! Its like Goodfellas!! :biggrin:

HUGE divorce and alcoholism rate too.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Sushi,
I came home one night after a drunk killed a family of four, gave CPR to a five year old boy that was the best candidate to survive, he didn't and when I got home I went out into the woods and threw up. The drunk didn't have scratch on him...
Foggy that is some heavy shit....this doesn't happen all the time but when it does it never goes away. There are still some things that Redneck won't "go there" As his wife I just keep'im and love 'im

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Shusi, you need to learn what a real police officer does, how he lives, the stress of knowing he might get shot just because of the uniform he is wearing, and stop watching so much Andy Griffith. Barny is just a comedian, not a real Police officer, even if he is your idol.
:yum::yum::yum::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
you are killing me, yes it is a bribe. I think my coffee was $0.68. sixty eight cents or 68 dollars is ethically the same thing. A bribe. If you charge every one the same thing and more cops hang out becasue you have donuts and coffee that is a morale problem for the police department, but not a bribe. if you give it to them for extra protection......hell I am tired of saying it.
So what do you want me to do? grab you by the shirt, and stuff the .68 in your pocket, and yell in your face to not try and bribe me like that again??? Or maybe, realizing your motives, just not come back there even though there is free coffee, because I know your intentions.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter

The same around here. They get comp coffee. and sometimes meals if there is a real big incident. Its appreciation for doing things that people in other jobs couldn't or wouldn't do. And most of EMS around here are volunteer. They get out of bed at 3 in the morning to pick up some drunk who fell off a barstool and broke his ankle. And take him to the hospital. Or whatever. And then get back home, and try to get a little sleep before they have to be to work. They all give something.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Or getting thrown up on while doing C.P.R. Or the perk of being told by the creep that you are arresting that when he bails out, he is going to find your family and do vile things to them.

Or how about pulling over a speeder. And finding out that it is the wife of a prominent local citizen. Who is embarrassed to be pulled over, even though she was clearly speeding. (do you know who I am?...) so on the way home she stops at the police station and tells the sergeant how the "rude officer belittled her, and should have waited to pull her over out of the public view. You have to write a memo explaining yourself. And of course you have to be spoken to. Which is documented. To assure the good citizen that this "problem" has been corrected. For doing what you are paid to do. Nice perk.

Excuse my rambling here guys. My point is that sometimes the public you serve cut you the deepest through their ignorance towards police.

And Sushi, as fogtender said, cops wont let you in all the way unless you are a cop. Until you experience the day to day of the job, you can't really relate.

By the way, hanging out with cops doesn't mean you know them. I shows that you have an interest in hanging out with them. Maybe so they recognize you when pulled over as "O.K." and let you go? Werent we talking about suttle actions by the public being used to influence officer conduct earlier on? I think we were.....:whistling::rolleyes:

Glink

Site Supporter
Cup of coffee for a guy or gal that puts their tail on the line daily.
Tip for a waiter or waitress doing an extra good job.

Is there a difference? Are they both wrong? Are they both right?

ncroamer65

Heven help us when we can't disstingish(sp) a thank you and doing something to influnce the conduct & action when preforming one's duty.
:furious::hide:

urednecku

Site Supporter
The same around here. They get comp coffee. and sometimes meals if there is a real big incident. Its appreciation for doing things that people in other jobs couldn't or wouldn't do. And most of EMS around here are volunteer. They get out of bed at 3 in the morning to pick up some drunk who fell off a barstool and broke his ankle. And take him to the hospital. Or whatever. And then get back home, and try to get a little sleep before they have to be to work. They all give something.

I spent 15 years as a Volunteer Fire/rescue. I have spent several nights fighting "big" fires. At times, McDonalds employees went in a couple hours early to make breakfast sandwiches & sent boxes of them to us. Local grocery stores sent their inventory of Gatoraid to us.
As a volunteer, at those times, I was paid $6.00 for those 7 or 8 hours of fighting the "RED DRAGGON".
Yes, the Firefighter/EMS usually get those "perks" too.

sonicangel

:punk::hammer::punk:Just another example of the law trying to get away with something thru the use of intimidation because he has a badge. Don't get me wrong. There are great people out there saving lives, but there are always bad apples. You can get alot more out of life with honey than one can with vinegar. Thats why"I don't need no stinkin' badges!"LOL

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I spent 15 years as a Volunteer Fire/rescue. I have spent several nights fighting "big" fires. At times, McDonalds employees went in a couple hours early to make breakfast sandwiches & sent boxes of them to us. Local grocery stores sent their inventory of Gatoraid to us.
As a volunteer, at those times, I was paid $6.00 for those 7 or 8 hours of fighting the "RED DRAGGON".

DUDE!!! If ANYONE deserves a free anything its a VOLUNTEER fire fighter!!!!! :punk: Now THAT is SERVING the community!!!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Some people get out of the wrong side of the bed every day. :furious::furious:

Who??? Whaaaaa??? Youre not talking about my last post are you? :unsure:
I meant it! Volunteer fire fighters DO deserve free stuff!!!! They get paid for shit and have no benefits!!!! That to ME is selfLESS giving!!

American Woman

Site Supporter
Sushi, Sushi,....my friend...let me tell you a true story that will clear up the difference between a public service worker shlepp and a public servant that puts his life on the line.
Less than a year ago two young boys (19) were out for the day and "one" woke up with the agenda he was going to KILL someone that day. His friend believed him and was too scared to do anything but go along with him for the day. This isn't a story I'm telling you that I read from the news paper. This story came from the mother of the boy who woke up to kill someone that day. I knew her as an intelligent single mother with "no common sense" Her kids were hellions growing up. Her oldest is the one I began telling you about....So these two boys are cruising down the highway on the way to another friends house. They weren't drunk or high BTW.....this boy saw a state trooper sitting on the side of the road in his car doing paperwork. The boy told his friend "watch this" He swerved his car trying to look reckless , and in a short time the trooper pulled out to check out the driver. When the boy was pulled over he left his engine running and his friend saw him put his hand on the gun that had been sitting next to him in the seat all day. The trooper opened his door stepped out, and before he could close the door the boy had his gun out the driver's side window and shot the trooper. The trooper was down and still trying to get up when the boy put another bullet in him. The boy's friend was scared shitless at this point and jumped from the car and ran.
That trooper layed there on the road with his door half opened clutching his radio mike calmly asking for help. He died like that while traffic whizzed by and listening to the person on the radio saying to hold on. He had two teenage daughters and a wife at home waitng for him.....

The difference Sushi is that most public working shlepps (your words) don't go to work every day putting thier lives on the line. Some LEO's still don't think it will happen to them....but that isn't a smart way to look at it when he makes himself a target in his job everyday. I wish I could buy that trooper a cup of coffee now.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Don't you wish we could take it all back? This was heart breaking for me. To think of him alone and still trying to follow procedure by staying with the mike.