• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Police: Officer fired for demanding free coffee

mak2

I find that statement absurd. I worked in law enforcement for a number of years. Officers deserve a break in their workday like everyone else and if they are off the street for that break, no one gets the protection. Pulling into your place gets you a presence of protection? So be it, but it was not a bribe. Your management did for the increased presence of security.

I'm still in public service, not law enforcement but a regulatory position and I damn sure know the difference between lunch, coffee and cash/sex. I will take a cup of coffee if offered, one friend to another.

"deserve a break" "your managemant did for the increased presesncee of secureity. you are actually sounding like the person the OP posted about, and proving my point about the extra security. There is really no gray area. police officers take coffee for free while on duty, they are accepting a bribe. It is not an arguable point. You are welcome to all my coffee and beer and whatever else. But if I am giving it to you so I get extra police protection it is a bribe.

mak2

You gotta remember where I first heard this. It was an LA county sheriff. I really cant see the confusion. Lets say your partner went to a gas station and the clerk gave him a pack of smokes, so you and him hung out an extra 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day, is that bribery?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You gotta remember where I first heard this. It was an LA county sheriff. I really cant see the confusion. Lets say your partner went to a gas station and the clerk gave him a pack of smokes, so you and him hung out an extra 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day, is that bribery?

No it is theft, and that would/should get the officer fired for taking a bribe.

As I said earlier, when I was a cop, I always paid for what I got, if you don't, you compromise yourself. How can you do the job you swore to do if you lie or cheat someone in the normal course of a "Normal" day.

If a place treats the police with respect, you will attract them regardless. I would like to go to certain places because I was treated better than others. There were places that I didn't go to except on calls because they were pretty much scum to start with.

If a gas station gave free coffee to everyone, I tended to go there, but not for a "free coffee" if it was only for the police.

ncroamer65

The rsason for the "Free" stuff, if it's to get more protection from the
police, I would consider that a bribe. :hide::hide:
If it's to say thank you for doing their job, no bribe. :punk::punk:
This may be over simplified.

urednecku

Site Supporter
The rsason for the "Free" stuff, if it's to get more protection from the
police, I would consider that a bribe. :hide::hide:
If it's to say thank you for doing their job, no bribe. :punk::punk:
This may be over simplified.

Probably, at least for most here.:hide:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I still like to see the cop out of he car and on the street even if it is for a cup of coffee. When they get out of the car and go into a business for a cup of coffee or just walk from the car to the free cup their presence is a deterrent to crime in any close by business. Everyone benefits. Many areas are again going back to more on the street presence of police on foot and bicycle patrol working business areas and neighbors that they know and the people know them. I like this concept even in the smaller towns. This week our Jeep was run into while parked in town. A cop on foot patrol downtown seen it happen and was able to stop the person who backed into our Jeep and notify Jan when she returned to the car after shopping. If it takes a free cup to get them out of the car then give them a free cup. I am sure most cops are not just looking for a free ride or they would go find another less stressful job and with better pay.

Amen!!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I still like to see the cop out of he car and on the street even if it is for a cup of coffee. When they get out of the car and go into a business for a cup of coffee or just walk from the car to the free cup their presence is a deterrent to crime in any close by business.

Those police intereceptors have $1000s of dollars of equipment. Maybe they should have a coffee dispenser too. Anyhow, if they are meant to be on the job then thats where they should be. Just like anyone else. If you have to bribe them somehow (ie free coffee) to get closer to detering criminals then there is something wrong there. its a bribe. Its usually difficult (unless you know someone) to get hired as a cop. There are generally long waiting lists (unless youre a minority/woman and the cop shop needs to fill a quota) and these folks that are on the job want the job. They fought for that job. Most of them waiting many years so when someone says...

If it takes a free cup to get them out of the car then give them a free cup.

That is the worst excuse I have heard of. Its called a bribe and that hired person who is punched in.... on the clock.... isnt doing what they should. In fact they are doing something directly opposite of what they should be doing. Its illegal.
Trust me, police generally get enough perks as it is.

American Woman

Site Supporter
"deserve a break" "your managemant did for the increased presesncee of secureity. you are actually sounding like the person the OP posted about, and proving my point about the extra security. There is really no gray area. police officers take coffee for free while on duty, they are accepting a bribe. It is not an arguable point. You are welcome to all my coffee and beer and whatever else. But if I am giving it to you so I get extra police protection it is a bribe.
What about giving it to them as a thank you and respect for being a public servant? Bribery never crossed my mind.
True the cop that is the topic of this thread is an a$$hole...no argument from me. But ALL cops aren't this way.
Deadly Sushi said:
Those police intereceptors have $1000s of dollars of equipment. Maybe they should have a coffee dispenser too. Anyhow, if they are meant to be on the job then thats where they should be. Just like anyone else. If you have to bribe them somehow (ie free coffee) to get closer to detering criminals then there is something wrong there. its a bribe. Its usually difficult (unless you know someone) to get hired as a cop. There are generally long waiting lists (unless youre a minority/woman and the cop shop needs to fill a quota) and these folks that are on the job want the job. They fought for that job. Most of them waiting many years so when someone says...
Sushi this is crazy...are you saying that any other types of jobs deserves a coffee break except a cop? It wasn't too long ago that a state trooper was killed and left on the side of the road to die alone. He left his wife and two teen girls. His funeral was HUGE with people showing respect. For just that few minutes of the day while he laid there dieing probably with his wife and girls on his mind.... I wish he had been out of his car drinking that "thankyou" for your service coffee.
What about the time you spend on your computer at work posting to FF? I think they are both a much needed break.
Cops don't get jobs because "they know somebody" :yum: they go thru an academy to learn laws and self defense, because it really is a dangerous job at times.
I have a "pet peeve" about a Barbie doll that gets out of the car swinging her ponytail and half my size coming to protect me from the bad guy. :glare:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Sushi, how long do you sit at your desk, with-out getting out of your chair? With the telephone to your ear, writing the deals, contacts etc., without getting out of your chair? Do you ever get up to get a drink of water, coffee, etc., except for the 15 minutes 1 time every 2 hours, and 30minutes every 8 hours for a meal? Do you ever make a personal 'phone call?
Do you ever use the computer for your personal use, such as get on a forum, look at the classified ads, etc., instead of doing exicatly what you are being paid to do?
I guess if you accept a cup of coffee from your employer, you are accepting a BRIBE, also. (The cops work for the taxpayers, the store pays a lots of taxes. Doesn't that mean he works for the store?)
From your own words, you spend a lot of time on forums that I believe you are being paid to find customers for your company.THAT IS ILLEGAL!!

Sushi, do you personally know any law enforcement officers, (besides the ones doing their job, and writing you a ticket for doing something illegal)?

It does not sound like you have any idea what the "job" of a Law Enforcement Officer consists of.

Don't even get me started about the "perks" you seem to think they have. Like the 'perk' of not getting to finish a meal, because some dumbass decides to run a stop sign, t-bone a car and kill a child. The 'perk' the officer gets of investigating a death, maybe of a child the same age of his own. The 'perk' of having to tell the family their mother/wife was killed by a drunk driver. Or is it the 'perk' of investigating bad odor around a house, having to force entry, and find a couple of bodies in advanced stages of decay? Just which 'perks' were you refering to???

mak2

I am really suprised so many of us struggle with right and wrong like this. A little wrong is still wrong. I never thought of bribery either, but when explained to me, by a cop, it is perfectly clear. Just a thank you, send a card.

Trakternut

Sushi, how long do you sit at your desk, with-out getting out of your chair? With the telephone to your ear, writing the deals, contacts etc., without getting out of your chair? Do you ever get up to get a drink of water, coffee, etc., except for the 15 minutes 1 time every 2 hours, and 30minutes every 8 hours for a meal? Do you ever make a personal 'phone call?
Do you ever use the computer for your personal use, such as get on a forum, look at the classified ads, etc., instead of doing exicatly what you are being paid to do?
I guess if you accept a cup of coffee from your employer, you are accepting a BRIBE, also. (The cops work for the taxpayers, the store pays a lots of taxes. Doesn't that mean he works for the store?)
From your own words, you spend a lot of time on forums that I believe you are being paid to find customers for your company.THAT IS ILLEGAL!!

Sushi, do you personally know any law enforcement officers, (besides the ones doing their job, and writing you a ticket for doing something illegal)?

It does not sound like you have any idea what the "job" of a Law Enforcement Officer consists of.

Don't even get me started about the "perks" you seem to think they have. Like the 'perk' of not getting to finish a meal, because some dumbass decides to run a stop sign, t-bone a car and kill a child. The 'perk' the officer gets of investigating a death, maybe of a child the same age of his own. The 'perk' of having to tell the family their mother/wife was killed by a drunk driver. Or is it the 'perk' of investigating bad odor around a house, having to force entry, and find a couple of bodies in advanced stages of decay? Just which 'perks' were you refering to???

:clap::clap::clap: There ya go! I owe you points, Redneck, and you'll get 'em when I'm done spreadin' em around. :clap::clap::clap:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
That is the worst excuse I have heard of. Its called a bribe and that hired person who is punched in.... on the clock.... isnt doing what they should. In fact they are doing something directly opposite of what they should be doing. Its illegal.

What is it they should be doing? Getting out of the car for a cup of coffee facilitates them making public contact. Which keeps them in tune with what is happening in the neighborhood. Which helps them to have the background knowledge they need to conduct an effective investigation.

The mere presence of a police car on a street will convince a criminal to try another street. Or neighborhood.

Police do more to fight crime in more ways that your narrow little mind can conceive. And yes they are on the clock when they do it. The ultimate goal of them punching the clock is your safety. What is the ultimate goal of you punching the clock? ( to enrich yourself). Who are you to criticize what you don't understand?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Those police interceptors have of dollars of equipment. Maybe they should have a coffee dispenser too. Anyhow, if they are meant to be on the job then thats where they should be. Just like anyone else. If you have to bribe them somehow (IE free coffee) to get closer to deterring criminals then there is something wrong there. its a bribe. Its usually difficult (unless you know someone) to get hired as a cop. There are generally long waiting lists (unless you're a minority/woman and the cop shop needs to fill a quota) and these folks that are on the job want the job. They fought for that job. Most of them waiting many years so when someone says...

To become a police officer in "most" cases, you have to go though almost a year's worth of background screening and testing before you get hired. Once you meet that, you still have to attend an Academy that is at the least about 400 hours of classroom training.

None of that training by the way, includes dealing with wrecks where real people are trapped and dying where you can't do anything but talk to them waiting for the firetrucks with the jaws of life to rip the car apart. Shootings, rapes, robberies and the rest of a long lists of firsts. Normally the police are the first on scene and have to deal with some pretty gut wrenching scenes that you can't imagine with the best special effects from Hollyweird...

There are a few bad apples just like any other profession, and most people relate to the bad ones because they get the headlines, but there is no other profession where a guy will take a bullet for someone he doesn't know other than a Soldier in a war zone. Try getting a Lawyer to just get you a cup of coffee and you would think he was mortally wounded.

That is the worst excuse I have heard of. Its called a bribe and that hired person who is punched in.... on the clock.... isn't doing what they should. In fact they are doing something directly opposite of what they should be doing. Its illegal.

"Most" police won't take something that they didn't pay for, there are the few that do and that gives the rest a black eye.

The only time I got a "Perk" that I was really proud of was when I was eating lunch at a counter at Howard Johnson's on I90 while on duty for my lunch break as a Deputy Sheriff in Ohio. Three biker types came in and sat across from me on the other side of the horseshoe shaped counter. They kept saying "Pig" jokes as if they were trying to be quiet, but all the families in there could hear and were getting nervous.

I didn't say anything as I ate and got up to walk out after being done, to pay the bill I had to stand next to all three of them, while doing so, I tapped the one with the biggest mouth on the back and when he turned around I said "Hey, thanks for that tip, we got a really good bust out of that!"...

He had a really blank face and started screaming "I didn't tell you anything!", I nodded and said "oh yeah, sure, mums the word" and walked out with his two buddies giving him the really evil eye with him claiming he never had seen me before... I figured those types had just had someone they knew busted for something and it made him look like the stoolie. Figured that he got a pretty good beating by the end of the day.... Smiled all day about that one... still chuckle now and then too!

The "Perk" was that I was a cop and was wearing the uniform to pull that off!

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter

Or getting thrown up on while doing C.P.R. Or the perk of being told by the creep that you are arresting that when he bails out, he is going to find your family and do vile things to them.

Or how about pulling over a speeder. And finding out that it is the wife of a prominent local citizen. Who is embarrassed to be pulled over, even though she was clearly speeding. (do you know who I am?...) so on the way home she stops at the police station and tells the sergeant how the "rude officer belittled her, and should have waited to pull her over out of the public view. You have to write a memo explaining yourself. And of course you have to be spoken to. Which is documented. To assure the good citizen that this "problem" has been corrected. For doing what you are paid to do. Nice perk.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
To become a police officer in "most" cases, you have to go though almost a year's worth of background screening and testing before you get hired. Once you meet that, you still have to attend an Academy that is at the least about 400 hours of classroom training.

None of that training by the way, includes dealing with wrecks where real people are trapped and dying where you can't do anything but talk to them waiting for the firetrucks with the jaws of life to rip the car apart. Shootings, rapes, robberies and the rest of a long lists of firsts. Normally the police are the first on scene and have to deal with some pretty gut wrenching scenes that you can't imagine with the best special effects from Hollyweird...

There are a few bad apples just like any other profession, and most people relate to the bad ones because they get the headlines, but there is no other profession where a guy will take a bullet for someone he doesn't know other than a Soldier in a war zone. Try getting a Lawyer to just get you a cup of coffee and you would think he was mortally wounded.

"Most" police won't take something that they didn't pay for, there are the few that do and that gives the rest a black eye.

The only time I got a "Perk" that I was really proud of was when I was eating lunch at a counter at Howard Johnson's on I90 while on duty for my lunch break as a Deputy Sheriff in Ohio. Three biker types came in and sat across from me on the other side of the horseshoe shaped counter. They kept saying "Pig" jokes as if they were trying to be quiet, but all the families in there could hear and were getting nervous.

I didn't say anything as I ate and got up to walk out after being done, to pay the bill I had to stand next to all three of them, while doing so, I tapped the one with the biggest mouth on the back and when he turned around I said "Hey, thanks for that tip, we got a really good bust out of that!"...

He had a really blank face and started screaming "I didn't tell you anything!", I nodded and said "oh yeah, sure, mums the word" and walked out with his two buddies giving him the really evil eye with him claiming he never had seen me before... I figured those types had just had someone they knew busted for something and it made him look like the stoolie. Figured that he got a pretty good beating by the end of the day.... Smiled all day about that one... still chuckle now and then too!

The "Perk" was that I was a cop and was wearing the uniform to pull that off!

You da man!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Sushi this is crazy...are you saying that any other types of jobs deserves a coffee break except a cop?

Nooooooo. What I wrote doesnt even come close to saying that. What I wrote said the asshole better be doing his job like the rest of the people that get paid to work.

LOL!!! As I said before I hung out with them for 4 solid years. I know cops better than you sir. I still have 2 friends that are cops and they agree with me. They are tired of fellow cops taking advantage of this type of thing. In fact in the village where I live, if a officer takes even a coffee for free its an immediate suspension!!!

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum. I love ya man. I really do. But that argument has no reality or logic to it. I spend less than 20 minutes a day AT MOST on a forum while at work and that is during one of my 2, 20 minute breaks.

First.... those are not PERKS. Youre argument isnt valid. Second.... Dude quit watching TV cop shows. You know very little about REAL police life.

The mere presence of a police car on a street will convince a criminal to try another street. Or neighborhood.

Police do more to fight crime in more ways that your narrow little mind can conceive.

No shit Sherlock. Its called doing their job. (which has nothing to do with taking a coffee bribe)

Last edited:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Nooooooo. What I wrote doesnt even come close to saying that. What I wrote said the asshole better be doing his job like the rest of the people that get paid to work.

LOL!!! As I said before I hung out with them for 4 solid years. I know cops better than you sir. I still have 2 friends that are cops and they agree with me.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum. I love ya man. I really do. But that argument has no reality or logic to it.

First.... those are not PERKS. Youre argument isnt valid. Second.... Dude quit watching TV cop shows. You know very little about REAL police life.

Oh shit Squishy....:hide: You realize the can's you have opened I hope....

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh shit Squishy....:hide: You realize the can's you have opened I hope....

Im just telling the truth from what Ive personally experienced and the people I know relating to this subject. I dont get my information on cops from movies and TV shows. Not only was I engaged to a cop for a few years and hung around with other cops I also sold 2-way radios to all of public safety. I know police! Im just cutting through the bullshit. If other folks want to keep believing something else.... fine.

And really what Im saying is... and for some unknown reason some folks dont agree with me on is..... people are paid to be a police officer.... So DO the job! DONT MAKE OTHER COPS LOOK BAD by taking a FUCKING BRIBE!!!!
WHHHHHHHY do you people dissagree with that!?!?!?!?!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and WILL be used against you..
Sushi.. ;)

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and WILL be used against you..
Sushi.. ;)

:yum::yum::yum: I kinda figured it would. Hey.... we need a good heated disscusion on a topic! Its been awhile! *locking door* *turning out lights* *brushing teeth* *Gargling with mouth wash* *grabbing cats* hidding under blanket*

American Woman

Site Supporter
Ya know actually....this is almost a mute point, because of some people bitching over the years that cops are taking bribes (right down to a cup of coffee :rolleyes:) These days a cop has so little respect for what he does until MOST all will not take a free cup of coffee, because of somebody bitching that he's taking a bribe. If I'm going to compromise my self respect it won't be over a cup of coffee. :rolleyes:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Im just telling the truth from what Ive personally experienced and the people I know relating to this subject. I dont get my information on cops from movies and TV shows. Not only was I engaged to a cop for a few years and hung around with other cops I also sold 2-way radios to all of public safety. I know police! Im just cutting through the bullshit. If other folks want to keep believing something else.... fine.

And really what Im saying is... and for some unknown reason some folks dont agree with me on is..... people are paid to be a police officer.... So DO the job! DONT MAKE OTHER COPS LOOK BAD by taking a FUCKING BRIBE!!!!
WHHHHHHHY do you people disagree with that!?!?!?!?!
Nobody has disagreed. MY point is that I think it would take more than a cup of coffee to bribe a cop to do illegal things. There IS a difference in a cup of coffee bribe to have your patrol car out front for few minutes and the bribe that compromises public safety (murder, drugs).....I'm hearing the point that you know plenty of cops and they are all like this. At this point I just want you to understand all cops aren't bad. Re read some of these posts in this thread and see how many of these guys are ex or retired cops. Your getting it straight from the horses mouth here.
I can tell you I know cops too. My husband, nephews, brother in laws, best friends. They hold jobs from public saftey, to patrol, to correctional officers, deputies, law incorcement instructors, right up to a Major in the sheriff's department. And don't get me started on the family that are firefighters and EMTs. ALL these men would not take that coffee from a stranger because of not knowing their alterial motives. Someone will call it a bribe. Now all of them will take a free cup of coffee from a fellow officer, they trade days to pay for lunch. But trusting a civillian is a different story.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I have NEVER said, or felt, an officer is above the law. The ones that think they are, are the TRASH of their department. Law enforcement are held to the highest code of ethics.
A lot of organizations prohibit the accepting of any 'gratuity' OVER A SET DOLLAR AMOUNT. The department the officer works for will usually allow a cup of coffee.
That cup of coffee is NOT A BRIBE.
Wikipedia:
Quote:
Bribery is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in discharge of a public or legal duty. The bribe is the gift bestowed to influence the recipient's conduct.

I have stopped and carried my personal cup in a convenience store for some coffee. Fill it up, go to the register with wallet in hand. The cashier says "will that be all?" Yes. "then have a nice day." and she or he turns & walks away. This has happened several times. NO, I am not a street cop, I was not associated with any LE agency, I was 'Joe Citizen' in jeans & shirt.
If a citizen can accept a free cup of coffee, why can't a Peace Officer? __________________