• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Police: Officer fired for demanding free coffee

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Fla. cop allegedly threatened workers with slower responses if they refused

APTRANS.gif
updated 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - An internal affairs report says a Daytona Beach police officer demanded free coffee and tea from a Starbucks and threatened employees with slower emergency response times if they refused.
Lt. Major Garvin, a 15-year veteran, was fired July 8. According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal, Chief Mike Chitwood says Garvin recently failed a polygraph test that he insisted on taking.
The coffeehouse's employees claim that since June 2007, Garvin had visited the store as many as six times a night while on duty. Besides demanding free drinks, workers complained that Garvin also cut in front of paying customers. A telephone listing for Garvin could not be found.

At least we know it was not redneck!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
He should have been fired AND either served time or made to pay a large fine. To me extortion is criminal.

Trakternut

The firing was appropriate. Using his identity as a police officer, the threats of slower response, all were wayyyy out of line. He should be made to issue a public apology to Starbucks.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am employed in the public sector. We usually have ethics training courses once a year. If an food establishment refuses my money for coffee, they don't see that that as a big deal. If a contractor wants by me a coffee or lunch, no big deal. But if I ask for it and don't offer to pay.........that's grounds for charges.

Cityboy

Banned
Oddly enough...it actually IS a crime. :slap:

DEMANDING free food & service is. In some areas, the coffee shops and restaurants serve cops gratis as a custom. It is not something the cops expect, and the cops ALWAYS attempt to pay, but the proprietor refuses payment for the goods or services. That's how it works, but even so, technically, in most jurisdictions, the cops are not supposed to accept the gifts. Kind of a "don't ask - don't tell" thing".

This asshole broke all the rules and deserves what he gets.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
DEMANDING free food & service is. In some areas, the coffee shops and restaurants serve cops gratis as a custom. It is not something the cops expect, and the cops ALWAYS attempt to pay, but the proprietor refuses payment for the goods or services. That's how it works, but even so, technically, in most jurisdictions, the cops are not supposed to accept the gifts. Kind of a "don't ask - don't tell" thing".

you can always find them at our local watering hole, around the coffee, and donuts................and I am not being sarcastic, they are there. I know for a fact they do not pay, and are not asked to pay. It is done out of appreciation for the job they do.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

I actually think McDonalds has a corporate policy that uniformed police are not charged for coffee.

mak2

I actually think McDonalds has a corporate policy that uniformed police are not charged for coffee.

I used to work for Steak n Shake and others. I gave away free drinks and rang them up under "police drink". When I was pursueing a job at LA County, one of the seargeants told me an officer accepting free coffee could be written up and fired if he accepted it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I used to work for Steak n Shake and others. I gave away free drinks and rang them up under "police drink". When I was pursueing a job at LA County, one of the seargeants told me an officer accepting free coffee could be written up and fired if he accepted it.

me thinks this is a bit too far, if the man or woman is in uniform, on duty, they should be able to accept a cup of coffee, or a discount meal. Steak and shake is a great place to eat, and I would think that free coffee is not going to hurt anyone.

now if the officer came in off duty with his family in tow, he is at that point for all intents a civilian, and should pay menu pricing. I would think s and s would respect this too.

mak2

me thinks this is a bit too far, if the man or woman is in uniform, on duty, they should be able to accept a cup of coffee, or a discount meal. Steak and shake is a great place to eat, and I would think that free coffee is not going to hurt anyone.

now if the officer came in off duty with his family in tow, he is at that point for all intents a civilian, and should pay menu pricing. I would think s and s would respect this too.

The reason we gave away free coffee was so the police spent more time in my resturant. That is, in fact, bribing the police to protect your establishment more than the shop down the street that does not have coffee. It in effect buys extra protection.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The reason we gave away free coffee was so the police spent more time in my resturant. That is, in fact, bribing the police to protect your establishment more than the shop down the street that does not have coffee. It in effect buys extra protection.

ah shoot, now see you done went and ruined my good thoughts about this policy..........I thought you guys was being nice.

in effect, you are taking him away from his assigned duties of patrol...........wait, that aint so good.............shoot now I am confused.

can we start over please, someone push reset

mak2

ah shoot, now see you done went and ruined my good thoughts about this policy..........I thought you guys was being nice.

in effect, you are taking him away from his assigned duties of patrol...........wait, that aint so good.............shoot now I am confused.

can we start over please, someone push reset

Exactly. It does seem nice, but it aint. Back then I did not think about ethics very much, I would not do it now.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

That is the exact reason when I was a police officer that I didn't accept "Free" coffee and stuff. It compromises your being able to do a proper job.

In the event that some guy gets broke into after giving free coffee to the police (for years in some cases), he feels that they "Owe" them better protection, which isn't any less or more than everyone else got/gets.

When they offered "Free", I would still put the change w/tip on the counter and tell them thanks each time.

k-dog

I'm not sure if it is corporate policy or not but way back in my college days I worked as a manager for McDonald's (it was a franchise owner, not corporate) and we didn't really have a policy but I would usually give them a free meal. Some came in looking for a free meal and they paid. The ones who offered to pay got the free meal. Usually the ones looking for the free meal were the same ones that tried to flirt with the girls.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I worked for a convince store in my younger days and I gave them free coffee. They needed to stay awake too....and I honestly appreciated what they were doing. They sure aren't getting rich while patrolling the streets.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I still like to see the cop out of he car and on the street even if it is for a cup of coffee. When they get out of the car and go into a business for a cup of coffee or just walk from the car to the free cup their presence is a deterrent to crime in any close by business. Everyone benefits. Many areas are again going back to more on the street presence of police on foot and bicycle patrol working business areas and neighbors that they know and the people know them. I like this concept even in the smaller towns. This week our Jeep was run into while parked in town. A cop on foot patrol downtown seen it happen and was able to stop the person who backed into our Jeep and notify Jan when she returned to the car after shopping. If it takes a free cup to get them out of the car then give them a free cup. I am sure most cops are not just looking for a free ride or they would go find another less stressful job and with better pay.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Cops are people. There are all kinds. Most, like most people, like to be appreciated. The 'free cup' says 'thank you' in a small way. And per cup, coffee is a cheep beverage. But you always have the ones that think they 'deserve' it, & those few mess it up for the many.
If you spend any ammount of time in an establishment, you learn how things happen there, and can 'feel' when something is not right. And trust is built, on both sides. I'm not saying spend too much time there, but in & out a couple times a shift will get all familiar with each other.

But DEMANDING coffee? Get the hell outa my store, & go explain to your chief and city council, etc., because I will be calling them.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I still like to see the cop out of he car and on the street even if it is for a cup of coffee. If it takes a free cup to get them out of the car then give them a free cup.

:pat:It is the "Free" Donuts (jelly filled) that gets them out of the cruisers, not the free coffee...:brows:

ncroamer65

Worked for a Pizza shop in the mid 80's. The manager had a policy
of giving free pizza to policemen who came into the shop.
The rest of the story. If the police saw employee making a delivery
and were strecking drining rules, they would look the other way.
Rolling stops @ stop signs, ect.
I still got 2 tickets, payed them, I never said anything about free pizza.
:hide::hide::hide:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I dont see why cops should get anything free. They are doing a job like everyone else.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I dont see why cops should get anything free. They are doing a job like everyone else.
Only, every one else does not voluntarily put their life on the line to protect citizens they have never met. Yes, it's a job, but there is much more to it than just a job.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Police work is one of the safest jobs in America. My ex-fiance was a cop. For 4 years all I did was hang around with them. If anyone deserves a free coffee its those guys working on a fishing boat. Extremely dangerous job just so I can chomp on sushi.