• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

removing rear wheels

utahwilson

Folks, Is there any ingenious way to remove the rear wheels on a Track-master without unbolting the track?

Thanks

-Kevin

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you wait long enough and don't grease them they they will come off on there own:whistling:believe it or not we have had machines come in ( not a snow trac)
With the axles that were wore half way through. In one case on a dual wheeled Bombardier Muskeg one axle was gone completely gone. Wore all the way through

Seems to me someone has done it on a snow trac if you loosen the front sprocket all the way and loosen the track tensioner all the way you should have enough room.

Park a heavy object behind to get a come along on to pull the track back and a jack inside the track between top and bottom

utahwilson

looks like I was headed that direction. loosend everything up and pulled the wheel off. Then spun the hub for the heck of it and the bearings are shot. Seems like I fix one thing only to find another problem. :sad: I tried to explain this to my wife that its 48 years old and needs maintenance. She asked if I was talking about me or the snowcat. She seems to think this snowcat is just an excuse to buy more tools. :whistling:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I am not mistaken there is a bolt in the tool kit to tension the spring.

I was reading the manual when I put my speed sprockets in and the T masters had a hole in the front to allow this bolt to compress the spring.

I might be on crack but that would help a lot.

I will go look at that manual again.

utahwilson

If I am not mistaken there is a bolt in the tool kit to tension the spring.

I was reading the manual when I put my speed sprockets in and the T masters had a hole in the front to allow this bolt to compress the spring.

I might be on crack but that would help a lot.

I will go look at that manual again.

Not seeing that option for a bolt on mine. I just unbolted the tracks. Has anyone replaced the rear axle bearings and know what the part # would be?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not had to replace a set of bearings yet. I will drop Lyndon an e-mail and see if he knows the Timken number

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have lyndons books
in the track master st4b manual
skf30207 inner 3205 outer bearing
seal skf 20207

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon's getting old he didn't remember the numbers he did however remember Wilson's rig sitting in about a foot of water at the first st-4 meet and how he helped pull it to dry ground also the previous owner had ran the motor with out a fan belt till the motor was smoking pretty bad that must have been how the motor that now resides in it found it's way in to it.

Dr. Zaugg

I have a bunch of those bearing numbers. They are also used on PB170's.
New bearings but the boxes are not the best. 1/2 what ever the bearing guys want.
Paul

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as it is off, take a look at the bushings on the carrier. The original were laminated phenolic. I replaced my with a set from ASB that were the correct size in brass. Made a world of difference.

My old post has some more info and part numbers if you need them.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=62524

I've found so far that if I think I'm fixing one thing I wind up having to fix 3 just to fix the original issue.

Tom

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon's getting old he didn't remember the numbers he did however remember Wilson's rig sitting in about a foot of water at the first st-4 meet and how he helped pull it to dry ground also the previous owner had ran the motor with out a fan belt till the motor was smoking pretty bad that must have been how the motor that now resides in it found it's way in to it.

attachment.php

utahwilson

there must be at least 6 coats of paint on this track-master. Would be nice to hear all the stories. Napa had the bearings, thanks for the #'s. I got two tires from Alpine Tire in Idaho. Great service once I got in contact with the salesman. I have taken the tires to two different tire shops and they keep popping the tubes. I got 6 ply 4.5 x 16 and they are telling me the tires are too stiff for them to get the tube without puncturing the tube. Question: Any drawbacks to just foam filling the rear tires at this point. I have already foam filled the other ones. Bearings are all replaced, everything is a go at this point, just need tires. Thanks again for all the great advice.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
a couple drawbacks are is extra weight and they have to be cut to remove.
are you happy with the size? are the others alpine?
jim

utahwilson

not sure where Peterson got the other tires. They said they couldn't find the rear tires. Tires look a little bigger and definitley weigh more. I am not concerned about the added weight. At this point just want to get this project done and take my wife and kids for a ride before all the snow melts.

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 166
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 165

Sno-Surfer

Those look pretty good.
I have the big wheel version and both tires are foam filled, fronts and rears and they seem indestructible. I don' t know any better but wonder how much the extra weight really matters?
Hope you get it going soon!

utahwilson

Those look pretty good.
I have the big wheel version and both tires are foam filled, fronts and rears and they seem indestructible. I don' t know any better but wonder how much the extra weight really matters?
Hope you get it going soon!

good to hear. Now just need to locate someone who foam fills tires in the SLC area. These rims look like they have been used and abused over the years. Is there a straight across conversion for a new rim or would I have to replace the hub as well?

Thanks

-K

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On my older st4 the flange on the hub that has the bolt pattern is just pressed on. Maybe so you can change bolt patterns??

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you have the 6 bolt wheels and hubs with flanged nuts .I wouldn't change a thing if you want them to look better sand blast them and paint them.

utahwilson

Almost done with the interior. Just need to finish the cable management. I put in the quick disconnect for the battery. All devices are working at this point with the exception of the tachometer. Cleaned up the flange on the steering wheel. I pick up some aluminum plate and patch the holes in the dash this week.

Attachments

• photoa.JPG
    photoa.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 89
  • photob.JPG
    photob.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 86
  • photoc.JPG
    photoc.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 86
  • photod.JPG
    photod.JPG