• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pet lover precautions: Heartworm, Ticks, etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a warmer than normal winter over much of the USA is leading to an explosion in the population of nasty little bugs.

If your pets roam outside please make sure they are protected from FLEAS, TICKS and MOSQUITOES to the best of your ability. Give your pets Heartworm treatments, slap on a "Flea & Tick" collar, etc.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/02/01/warm-winter-could-cause-critter-problems/

Warm Winter Could Cause Critter Problems
February 1, 2012 5:45 PM

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The recent weather has been so warm that groundhogs like Phil may wake up earlier this winter. The same goes for deer, skunks and raccoons.

Those are some of the findings from a study at Cornell University.

Everyone, even our pets, wants to know what happened to winter?

“We have lived in multiple states; so, each state has some different factors to consider, especially the time of the year you can get ticks,” said Jaclyn Macedonia, of the North Hills. “Fleas, especially with a new puppy; we haven’t had a new puppy for seven years, so we are learning things all over again.”

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Bob. Had to reference my local news, didn't you.

I did catch the dog scratching a couple weeks ago. Sprayed her down with Flea spray and she stopped.

So far, we've had about 10-15 days of white stuff on the ground. The remainder of the days we've been looking at grass. Unheard of in the areas N. of Pittsburgh towards Lake Erie.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . So far, we've had about 10-15 days of white stuff on the ground. The remainder of the days we've been looking at grass. Unheard of in the areas N. of Pittsburgh towards Lake Erie.
DITTO here. The Snow Trac has been sitting comfortably inside its heated garage all winter. We've had 2 really good snow days with heavy snowfall that both would have been excellent snowcat adventure days . . . and both fell on days when I was DRIVING to fencing tournaments :sad: I'd guess we have had snow cover for about the same number of days you've had. There is still some in my woods where it drifted. But the fields are muddy! Heck we had 8" of snow one Friday, then on Sunday the temps hit 40 and we had a lightning/thunderstorm and it melted all 8" of snow.

But because of that I'm really expecting a bad summer for ticks and mosquitoes. Keeping the brush cut back will keep the ticks off the dogs, but the mosquitoes will thrive all season if it doesn't dry out.