• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh claimed on his show Monday that the potentially lethal coronavirus afflicting several countries is nothing more than a “common cold” blown out of proportion by the media to take down President Donald Trump― even as he also asserted it was a “bioweapon” created by China in a laboratory.

“It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump,” Limbaugh said at the start of his lengthy, misinformation-filled rant.

“Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. ... I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.”

Coronaviruses comprise a large family of many viruses, ranging in severity from the common cold to more severe illnesses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), an epidemic that infected more than 8,000 people in 2003. A novel coronavirus, such as the current COVID-19 outbreak, is a new strain of the virus that has previously not been identified in humans, the World Health Organization clearly explains on its site.

Limbaugh, though, chose to go off on his own tangent.

“The drive-by media hype of this thing as a pandemic, as the Andromeda strain, as, ‘Oh, my God. If you get it, you’re dead...’ I think the survival rate is 98%,” he said. “Ninety-eight percent of people who get the coronavirus survive. It’s a respiratory system virus.”

The mortality rate is not yet known, according to WHO.The organization’s latest situation report confirms 79,331 infections globally and 2,618 deaths, both widely reported figures.
That comes from both Ben Shapiro's site and Aol.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are private text massages between my cousin in German and myself. These are not some messages between some unknown people far far away. My cousin is a PHD/Chemical Engineering, working for a multinational company in Germany.

These all arrived in the past 12 hours, this is life in Germany right now as a white collar worker. He and I communicate about 5 days out of 7 during a typical week. These 3 messages were part of a longer stream that included some speculation, etc. I picked them, without editing them, because they have no speculation just description.

It’s getting serious by the day here! My trade show that I decided on Tuesday to not attend next week in Paris was officially postponed until the end of May. That’s well over 25,000 who won’t attend the four day event!

Then as I left yesterday there was some preliminary discussions on home offices and what are our needs to stay home for a couple of Months and only use Skype for meetings! This would be difficult in my position as I need certain secure data bases and I also need to see customers but we will do those via Skype meetings

Ok I come into the office this morning and it was announced that all international travel has been cancelled until further notice. Then anyone who has traveled to Japan and just returned must work from their home for the next 14 days. Lastly, a work from home plan for all non essential employees is now underway. This is getting serious!​

I also have family and friends in England. I have similar frequent contact with them, roughly 5 out of 7 days each week we text, send personal photos, etc.

My brother in law's foreign flights are now cancelled through at least the end of March. My nephew's school has a child enrolled who is now in quarantine. A family member has been to Japan, the whole family is essentially under house arrest in a suburb of London for the next 2 weeks. N95 masks are sold out in England.

My sister reported this morning that her friend just returned home to the London area from Milan, Italy. Milan is a known hotspot in Italy. The woman told my sister that she is self quarantining herself and her family as there were ZERO precautions by airport security outbound or inbound and ZERO precautions on the airplane. So nobody is going anything at government level in the UK yet, despite the open border policy the EU has even in the hotspot areas where schools are closed, church services are cancelled, the carnival and other festivals have been cancelled and towns are under self isolation rules.

Those are all personal stories from family members. I would prefer to hear from scientists ... oh wait, my cousin is a scientist! He was a chemistry professor at a university in Frankfurt before he switched to private research.

And then we have Rush Limbaugh:
Right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh claimed on his show Monday that the potentially lethal coronavirus afflicting several countries is nothing more than a “common cold” blown out of proportion by the media to take down President Donald Trump― even as he also asserted it was a “bioweapon” created by China in a laboratory.
Hate to bring this up but wasn't he wrong about his own health issues? And all this statement is is an opinion with a conspiracy theory mixed into it. It would be nice if he based his opinion on facts.

And South Korea reported 505 cases yesterday. S.K. actually now reported more new cases than China. :hammer: China has effectively stopped reporting new cases in any numbers despite reporting a steady 3000 new cases per day for over a month, while treating tens of thousands of cases. It was confirmed, again ZeroHedge was correct, China was only able to test roughly 3000/day. So the 3000/day that China reported were official cases, while many more were simply undiagnosed because they didn't have the capacity to test.

In the meantime, the Sacramento Bee is reporting the first case of randomly spread Corona in the US. A person with no known contact with anyone who has been to China, or even knows anyone who knows anyone who has been to Asia, has popped up as the first confirmed case of unknown transmission.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240674471.html
Officials with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the nation’s first coronavirus case of unknown origin Wednesday in Northern California in the latest sign of the virus’ rapid spread.

“It is a confirmed case. There is one in Northern California,” CDC spokesman Scott Pauley told The Sacramento Bee just before 4 p.m. Wednesday.

In the Northern California case, “the individual is a resident of Solano County and is receiving medical care in Sacramento County. The individual had no known exposure to the virus through travel or close contact with a known infected individual,” California Department of Public Health officials said in a news release Wednesday evening. State public health officials in Sacramento, citing the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the case is the first person-to-person transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240674471.html#storylink=cpy

And over in Japan, where the cases have widely be reported to be pretty much limited to a cruise ship and a few other isolated cases, the entire nation has ordered all of the schools to close.

LINK => https://apnews.com/c92ca9ae1c59079557e98275ff814c06
Japan to close schools nationwide to control spread of virus

TOKYO (AP) — Japan will close schools nationwide to help control the spread of the new virus, the government announced Thursday.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe asked all elementary, middle and high schools to remain shut until spring holidays begin in late March.

The measure affects 12.8 million students at 34,847 schools nationwide, the education ministry said.

“The coming week or two is an extremely important time,” Abe said. “This is to prioritize the health and safety of the children and take precautions to avoid the risk of possible large-scale infections for many children and teachers who gather and spend hours together every day.”

A woman in Japan who RECOVERED from the virus is now testing positive again as she has become reinfected. FULL STORY at the link below.

LINK => https://news.yahoo.com/japan-woman-tests-positive-virus-recovery-062631746.html
Tokyo (AFP) - A woman in Japan who contracted the new coronavirus and was released from hospital after recovering has tested positive again, officials said Thursday.

The case is the first time a patient apparently cleared of the virus has subsequently tested positive for it, a local official in Osaka said.

The woman in her 40s was first confirmed as infected with the coronavirus on January 29.

She was working as a guide on a tour bus with tourists from Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, in January. The driver of the bus was also diagnosed with the virus.

After being discharged from hospital she tested negative for the virus on February 6, although she still had a cough at the time.

She had no symptoms a week later, but returned to the doctor on February 21 complaining of a sore throat and chest pains.

On Wednesday, she tested positive for the coronavirus for a second time, officials said.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
These are private text massages between my cousin in German and myself. These are not some messages between some unknown people far far away. My cousin is a PHD/Chemical Engineering, working for a multinational company in Germany.

These all arrived in the past 12 hours, this is life in Germany right now as a white collar worker. He and I communicate about 5 days out of 7 during a typical week. These 3 messages were part of a longer stream that included some speculation, etc. I picked them, without editing them, because they have no speculation just description.

It’s getting serious by the day here! My trade show that I decided on Tuesday to not attend next week in Paris was officially postponed until the end of May. That’s well over 25,000 who won’t attend the four day event!

Then as I left yesterday there was some preliminary discussions on home offices and what are our needs to stay home for a couple of Months and only use Skype for meetings! This would be difficult in my position as I need certain secure data bases and I also need to see customers but we will do those via Skype meetings

Ok I come into the office this morning and it was announced that all international travel has been cancelled until further notice. Then anyone who has traveled to Japan and just returned must work from their home for the next 14 days. Lastly, a work from home plan for all non essential employees is now underway. This is getting serious!​

I also have family and friends in England. I have similar frequent contact with them, roughly 5 out of 7 days each week we text, send personal photos, etc.

My brother in law's foreign flights are now cancelled through at least the end of March. My nephew's school has a child enrolled who is now in quarantine. A family member has been to Japan, the whole family is essentially under house arrest in a suburb of London for the next 2 weeks. N95 masks are sold out in England.

My sister reported this morning that her friend just returned home to the London area from Milan, Italy. Milan is a known hotspot in Italy. The woman told my sister that she is self quarantining herself and her family as there were ZERO precautions by airport security outbound or inbound and ZERO precautions on the airplane. So nobody is going anything at government level in the UK yet, despite the open border policy the EU has even in the hotspot areas where schools are closed, church services are cancelled, the carnival and other festivals have been cancelled and towns are under self isolation rules.

Those are all personal stories from family members. I would prefer to hear from scientists ... oh wait, my cousin is a scientist! He was a chemistry professor at a university in Frankfurt before he switched to private research.

And then we have Rush Limbaugh:

Hate to bring this up but wasn't he wrong about his own health issues? And all this statement is is an opinion with a conspiracy theory mixed into it. It would be nice if he based his opinion on facts.

And South Korea reported 505 cases yesterday. S.K. actually now reported more new cases than China. :hammer: China has effectively stopped reporting new cases in any numbers despite reporting a steady 3000 new cases per day for over a month, while treating tens of thousands of cases. It was confirmed, again ZeroHedge was correct, China was only able to test roughly 3000/day. So the 3000/day that China reported were official cases, while many more were simply undiagnosed because they didn't have the capacity to test.

In the meantime, the Sacramento Bee is reporting the first case of randomly spread Corona in the US. A person with no known contact with anyone who has been to China, or even knows anyone who knows anyone who has been to Asia, has popped up as the first confirmed case of unknown transmission.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240674471.html

And over in Japan, where the cases have widely be reported to be pretty much limited to a cruise ship and a few other isolated cases, the entire nation has ordered all of the schools to close.

LINK => https://apnews.com/c92ca9ae1c59079557e98275ff814c06
Japan to close schools nationwide to control spread of virus

TOKYO (AP) — Japan will close schools nationwide to help control the spread of the new virus, the government announced Thursday.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe asked all elementary, middle and high schools to remain shut until spring holidays begin in late March.

The measure affects 12.8 million students at 34,847 schools nationwide, the education ministry said.

“The coming week or two is an extremely important time,” Abe said. “This is to prioritize the health and safety of the children and take precautions to avoid the risk of possible large-scale infections for many children and teachers who gather and spend hours together every day.”

A woman in Japan who RECOVERED from the virus is now testing positive again as she has become reinfected. FULL STORY at the link below.

LINK => https://news.yahoo.com/japan-woman-tests-positive-virus-recovery-062631746.html

Yes I read about the Sacramento case last night. Thats pretty close to home- 50 miles

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
our first school is closing. seattle,wa.
Bothell High School closed Thursday as a precaution for COVID-19 concerns
One staff member recently came back from international travel. A family member became sick, and the school closed out of an abundance of caution.

Author: KING 5 Staff
Published: 10:33 PM PST February 26, 2020
Updated: 5:33 AM PST February 27, 2020

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
In the United States, there is new concern about a potential case of the virus spreading to a person who has no known travel history to a country with an ongoing outbreak or to someone known to be infected.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that case late Wednesday involving a person in the state of California. CDC officials had said it is a matter of when, not if, the coronavirus would spread inside the country.

President Donald Trump held a news conference late Wednesday expressing confidence in his government’s readiness to respond.

The focus of the outbreak has shifted from being dominated by the cases in China, which still accounts for the vast majority of reported cases and deaths, to those outside the country. This week brought the first day in which the number of new cases elsewhere outnumbered those in China.

Stay vigilant

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said governments need to remain vigilant, even if they see a reduction in cases. He pointed to successes in 14 countries that have not reported any new cases in more than a week, and nine that have gone more than two weeks without a new case.

“The primary objective of all countries with cases must be to contain the virus,” Tedros said.

https://www.voanews.com/science-hea...health-officials-focus-containing-coronavirus

Watch....
https://www.voanews.com/media/2556261/embed

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the United States, there is new concern about a potential case of the virus spreading to a person who has no known travel history to a country with an ongoing outbreak or to someone known to be infected.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that case late Wednesday involving a person in the state of California. CDC officials had said it is a matter of when, not if, the coronavirus would spread inside the country.

Yup, posted that California story, via the Sacramento Bee story, earlier. But it is not a potential case, it is a confirmed case. VOA is running behind other major media sources with their reporting.

As for Trump’s press release yesterday, it was mostly a calming speech but had little substance contained in his words. Pence is now in charge, hopefully he will provide an organized, non-chaotic hand on the wheel helping to steer us thru this.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
20200227_100634.jpg

20200227_100701.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Meanwhile, the Dems continue to take charge in all of this by bringing new impeachment charges against President Trump for sniffling during yesterday's press conference.

Stay tuned for more information concerning this from Schiff's and Nadler's office.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The left are losing it over the President appointing Pence as head of the virus task force.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/0...p-pence-to-head-coronavirus-task-force-891552

Assholes. The stupid douches would be much happier with a wide open southern border letting caravan after caravan march right through to infect every single one of us. What a bunch of ignorant bastards. Boggles the mind how people can be so stupid.

I am just not so sorry to say I hope all the liberals get infected first.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Assholes. The stupid douches would be much happier with a wide open southern border letting caravan after caravan march right through to infect every single one of us. What a bunch of ignorant bastards. Boggles the mind how people can be so stupid.

I am just not so sorry to say I hope all the liberals get infected first.

First the Dims call Trump racist for closing the air travel from China then say he has no plan for it. Wait until the southern border closes because of it they will go insane then blame Trump for every case that comes up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The left are losing it over the President appointing Pence as head of the virus task force.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/0...p-pence-to-head-coronavirus-task-force-891552

And then Pence brings in a former Obama appointee who was head of research at a military hospital and also headed the AIDS/HIV initiative for the US. That must really confuse the lefties. The VP, who they say is a mouth breathing, non-science believing, dumb Hoosier brings in a real expert, with ties to the Obama administration. MIND BLOWN for liberals.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going to go a little off the mark here, so stay with me lol
Ahem!

Well, perhaps Pat Robertson will receive "the word" that this is all a result of the mass sin going on in the world, then he'll pray and it'll all go away. Just. Like. That. :clubem:
Maybe that half-wit Joel Osteen (who wouldn't allow hurricane flood victims enter his high and mighty church for refuge) will also jump on the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

Or maybe.. just maybe! vice President Pence can allay any further politicizing from the left -so as a nation we can take this for what it is: the next big lousy pandemic where we all come together knowing that yes, months from now this too shall pass and not somehow become Trump's black mark on his chance of getting reelected. :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:hammer:

Attachments

• 473F744A-7C89-4B12-BBCD-5CE58B7442BB.jpeg
    473F744A-7C89-4B12-BBCD-5CE58B7442BB.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 136

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As I posted in the "Preparedness" thread, my sister lives outside of London and the British NHS confirmed a case in her county today. She told me late this afternoon that, within a matter of a few hours, the grocery stores in her area have effectively been emptied of most staples.

And it looks like Corona is now loose in America.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...ope-hong-kong-dog-tests-positive-live-updates

Oregon Officials Confirm Third Coronavirus Case "Of Unknown Origin"; Risk Of "Community Outbreak" Is High

by Tyler Durden
Fri, 02/28/2020 - 21:58
TwitterFacebookRedditEmailPrint

Summary:

• Health authorities in Texas and Oregon report 12 new coronavirus cases in US
  • US coronavirus case total hits 63, 2nd case 'of unknown origin' confirmed
  • US issues travel advisory for Italy
  • Italy says first case discovered in Lazio
  • Google says employee who visited Zurich office has coronavirus
  • France confirms 57 cases
  • Italy reports 3 deaths in Lombardy; nat'l toll now 21; total cases 821
  • Google employee tests positive for coronavirus after visiting Zurich office
  • British man becomes 6th 'Diamond Princess' passenger to die
  • Two Japanese dogs tested positive for coronavirus
  • Mulvaney says school closures, transit disruptions may happen in US
  • Dr. Tedros said Friday that there's no evidence of 'community outbreak'
  • Mexico confirms 1st virus case
  • Fauci warns virus could take 'two years' to develop
  • Kudlow says "no higher priority" than the "health of the American people
  • Toronto confirms another case
  • WHO says 20 vaccines in development
  • St. Louis Fed's Bullard pours cold water on market hopes
  • Netherlands confirms 2 more
  • United cuts flights to Japan
  • Advisor to CDC says shortage of tests in US creating a "bottleneck"
  • Nigeria confirms first case in sub-saharan africa
  • SK reports more than 1,000 new cases in under 48 hours
  • Italy cases surpass 700
  • WHO says virus will 'soon be in all countries'

Update (2130ET): During the presser - which is still ongoing - Oregon officials confirmed that the case is of "unknown origin", the third such case in the US. The individual is a Washington County resident, but has spent time at the Forest Hills elementary school in Oswego. The school will inform students and family about the risks.

The case will remain "presumptive" until they get the test result back from Atlanta, though CDC protocols call for treating presumptive cases as legitimate cases. For the record, the Oregon state health lab was able to conduct an initial test, which came back positive.

Amazingly, officials confirmed that the patient is still hospitalized, and has been isolated, but hasn't been subjected to "quarantine" status. They're reportedly being treated at a hospital in Hillsborough Oregon run by Kaiser Permanente.

Health officials said they're scrambling to trace the patient's movements over the past days and weeks and ferret out anyone who might have come into contact with her during that time.

"The most important thing to do - as mundane as it sounds - cover your face when you sneeze, wash your hands, and if you have any flu-like symptoms, stay home."

As far as the patient's condition, officials wouldn't go into specifics beyond saying that she remains "hospitalized". Since the patient didn't travel abroad, the assumption is that the infection was acquired "in the community."

The officials said they hope Oregonians would "go about their daily lives" and not let the news affect them. We suspect that might be difficult, considering that the patient hasn't even been quarantined, and is likely only the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to infections in the state.

Before we go, we wanted to point out an interesting detail from the press conference: When asked by a reporter about a rumor from earlier in the week about a coronavirus patient at a Kaiser Permanente facility in the state, officials said that they believed that rumor "didn't refer to this case" - when it's obvious to anybody with a brain that the rumor was accurate.

Officials insist that they're conveying the information to the public "just hours" after finding out. But the presence of this rumor seems to contradict that. And if officials did know about the case earlier in the week (their phrasing seemed to imply that the materials for confirmation were sent to the CDC in Atlanta days), why did they wait to tell the public?

Update (2045ET): Any reporters who were hoping for a quiet night relatively free of coronavirus news, well, those hopes have unfortunately been dashed.

Because in a major bombshell that seriously undercuts President Trump's 'everything is under control' message from his big press conference Wednesday night, state health authorities in Oregon and Texas reported a combined 12 new cases of the virus.

This is in addition to two new cases that were confirmed earlier on Friday, and brings the total number of cases confirmed in the US to 74.

11 new cases have been confirmed by federal officials, according to local media reports.

The new cases include nine from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, one from the Wuhan group of quarantined passengers, and one that was transferred from the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego.

City officials in San Antonio insisted that the risk of infection remains very low, since the patients have all been under mandatory quarantine. Another 145 people are still quarantined at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. Ninety Americans evacuated from Wuhan were released after finishing their quarantine without contracting the virus, said the CDC's Nancy Knight during a Thursday news conference in Austin led by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.

Meanwhile, state officials in Oregon announced the state's first "presumptive" case of the virus ("presumptive" since the CDC's strict protocols often delay - or prevent - testing in at-risk patients, as we discussed earlier, as well as in an update from last night).

But there might be a ray of sunshine from Israel??? Full story at the link below:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/28/israeli-scientists-claim-to-be-weeks-away-from-coronavirus-vaccine/

Israeli scientists claim to be weeks away from coronavirus vaccine
By Yaron Steinbuch :39

Amid fears of a looming pandemic, scientists in the US and across the globe are scrambling to develop vaccines – including in Israel, where one group of researchers says it could be ready in just three weeks and available for use within 90 days.

The scientists at the Galilee Research Institute, known as MIGAL, are adapting its vaccine against the avian coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus, or IBV, to work for the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19, the Jerusalem Post reported.

“Congratulations to MIGAL on this exciting breakthrough. I am confident that there will be further rapid progress, enabling us to provide a needed response to the grave global COVID-19 threat,” said Ofir Akunis, Israel’s minister of science and technology.

Democrats are hoping the Corona response in the USA is a failure so they can blame Trump.

Does that mean that Democrats are hoping things get bad and Americans die?

Pretty sure that is what they are saying :hammer:

I'm not going to quote the story, the large type I posted says what the story says. But the basic gist is that during the Democratic debate, and afterward, the Democrats have basically thrown out a bunch of lies, exaggerations and partial falsehoods to make Trump look bad. Its a partisan story, from a partisan source. STORY IS HERE, basically says Democrats are f'ing liars =>
https://www.dailywire.com/news/demo...es-could-make-fighting-disease-more-difficult

For those that don't like or trust the right wing Daily Wire, here is the AP Fact check website that says the Daily Wire got the story right! https://apnews.com/d36d6c4de29f4d04beda3db00cb46104

AP FACT CHECK: Democrats distort coronavirus readiness

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic presidential contenders are describing the federal infectious-disease bureaucracy as rudderless and ill-prepared for the coronavirus threat because of budget cuts and ham-handed leadership by President Donald Trump. That’s a distorted picture. .....
FULL STORY at the link above! It shows the partial truths, partial mistruths and outright lies. AP is generally a middle left, trying to be non-partisan news source.​

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent all evening at out town hospital an all the available containers that had face masks for use in ER were emptied out. I watch one worker go to several paces looking for one.
my wife fell hard and broke her wrist.
oh,our town is 11000people and one hospital.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope her wrist heals without complications. I broke mine when I was in grade school. It felt fine for decades but its coming back to haunt me.

In other news... CNBC is reporting that the World Health Organization is now officially alarmed.

FULL STORY at CNBC ==> https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/who...coronavirus-to-very-high-at-global-level.html
WHO raises coronavirus threat assessment to its highest level
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

World Health Organization officials said Friday they are increasing the risk assessment of the coronavirus, which has spread to at least 49 countries in a matter of weeks, to “very high” at a global level.

“We are on the highest level of alert or highest level of risk assessment in terms of spread and in terms of impact,” said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program. The group isn’t trying to alarm or scare people, he said. “This is a reality check for every government on the planet: Wake up. Get ready. This virus may be on its way and you need to be ready. You have a duty to your citizens, you have a duty to the world to be ready.”

The world can still avoid “the worst of it,” but the increased risk assessment means the WHO’s “level of concern is at its highest,” he said at a press conference at WHO headquarters in Geneva.

World leaders still have a chance to contain the virus within their borders, Ryan said. “To wait, to be complacent to be caught unawares at this point, it’s really not much of an excuse.”

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The first Corona virus death reported in the US, it is spreading around Northern Ca. near where I live. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New case in Chicagoland. Somewhere in Cook County. Several different news sources are providing very little info. We know the person was in contact with people who have not been contacted/tracked down. We don’t know much else.

WGN9 News story => https://wgntv.com/news/illinois-health-officials-announce-new-case-of-coronavirus/

Illinois health officials announce new case of coronavirus

Feb 29, 2020 / 07:32 PM CST
Posted: / Updated: Feb 29, 2020 / 07:41 PM CST

The Illinois Department of Health have announced that one Illinois resident has tested positive for coronavirus.

The positive test results will have to be confirmed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lab. The patient is hospitalized in isolation and CDC protocols have been implemented.

Officials are working to identify and monitor individuals who were in contact with the patient in an effort to reduce the risk of additional transmission. The state will request that the CDC deploys a team to support these efforts.

Gov. Pritzker has requested that hospitals across the state implement additional testing to improve surveillance for coronavirus. Illinois was the first state to provide COVID-19 testing and Pritzker announced two more IDPH labs in central and southern Illinois that will be able to test specimens next week.

Illinois has had two previously confirmed cases of coronavirus and both patients made a full recovery.

At this time, it’s not known where the patient is located.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The White House will be meeting with 8 major drug companies tomorrow.

Alameda County declared a health emergency after an EMT tested positive

Everything else is the same only a day worse

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The summary from ZeroHedge today:

2nd US Death Confirmed In Washington State As Outbreak Accelerates Across America: Virus Updates

• 2nd US death reported in Washington State
  • OECD warns global growth could fall by half
  • Indonesia reports first cases
  • "Progress is being made" toward a vaccine
  • Cuomo says NY expects more cases
  • India confirms 2 more cases
  • 'Official' Iran death toll hits 66
  • EU confirms 38 deaths across 18 members
  • First cases confirmed in Fla.
  • 2 Amazon employees test positive in Milan
  • Virus now in 7 US states: Washington, California, Illinois, Rhode Island, New York, Florida and Oregon
  • San Antonio virus patient re-hospitalized after testing positive
  • China warns it could face 'locust invasion'

A few did bits that are amusing.

NY Governor Cuomo, who is very critical Trump/Pence, confirmed that the New York CITY confirmed case is someone who just returned from Iran and is SELF ISOLATING at home where she can spread the virus to 7-million neighbors. Anyone else recall the boasts from Cuomo about the state-of-the-art medical facilities he has? If so, why is she sitting in her NYC apartment?

THE GLOBAL TIMES is poking fun at the CDC.

It is clear that the CDC is concerned about all the N95 masks that have been sold to the general public, creating a supply chain problem at hospitals that can NOT get enough of the N95 masks. The CDC is sending messages telling people to stop buying the N95 masks, saying they only help health professionals who need them but don't help citizens?!? Uhhh, yup, if you have special degrees from medical universities these masks are good for you... but if you don't have special training then the mask does no good?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not going to quote this story but I find it interesting and encourage you to all go read it. Basically it talks about google searches and how TV News seems to create some level of panic. How TV News stories came late. And also how TV News stories tend to focus on POLITICS and ECONOMICS in somewhat disproportionate amounts when it might be better to focus on HEALTH issues.

MEDIA COVERAGE and Coronavirus Panic: What the Numbers Show

LINK ==> https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...virus_panic_what_the_numbers_show_142539.html

Interesting stuff for people who enjoy statistics.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.34.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.34.01 AM.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.41.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.41.29 AM.png
    433 KB · Views: 209

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Toons For The Times

Branco Cartoon – Nothing But Fear Itself

Attachments

• C23FF7CE-08B0-4B60-A76F-5ED1CDD0697D.jpeg
    C23FF7CE-08B0-4B60-A76F-5ED1CDD0697D.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 226

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Again, because I follow more of the financial news than the mainstream news, I found an interesting side note, UVC lamp demand has exploded in China.

Apparently the Chinese authorities have bought a huge amount of UVC lamps. All Chinese producers of these light are now legally forced to sell 100% of their UVC lamp production to the government. They are also buying UVC lamps from a huge European supplier.

Why might they do this? UVC lamps are a solution to disinfect the air, surfaces and water when correctly deployed apparently.

The authorities in China apparently may want to use these for regular lighting in order to attack the Coronavirus issue? If that is, indeed the case, the bad news .... this type of lighting is harmful for every living organism when used outside of controlled environments.

If not used correctly in a controlled environment, it causes severe burns and blindness. Normally these lamps are used in empty rooms for air cleaning critical apparatus. They are not intended for use on humans.

So if you hear that the virus causes burns and blindness, then you are not hearing the truth. You hare hearing that people have been improperly exposed to UVC lighting by the Chinese government (or potentially some other government that is fighting in desperation to control the Coronavirus).

Here is a simple wikipedia link on the use of these bulbs for disinfecting labs, etc => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_germicidal_irradiation

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I would guess that the UVC lamps are to decontaminate surfaces.
No one has said much about how long the virus can last on surfaces but since the virus seems to be able to spread without being breathed on by an infected person, that it lasts longer than 'they' want to tell us on surfaces like money and grocery carts.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
And....they will need to assure the world that all the products they ship are decontaminated in some way and sending them thru a light box or something would actually do that if the light got to all the surfaces.

They could purify the air in the bubble wrap ....

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
October, November, December, January, and even now, people have been sick for weeks on end. Not the flu. Just plain ol' sick.
Maybe the thing didn't start in China; maybe we are simply more resilient?
Just a thought.