• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What does Physics have to say about smooth balls.

mak2

What did you think I was talking aobut?

There is a NASA tie in.

It’s probably not all that surprising that this year’s World Cup has had its share of controversial goals, controversial offside calls, controversial foul calls, and controversial foul non-calls.

A bit more surprising is the controversy caused by the tournament’s ball.

Adidas created the Jabulani especially for the South African World Cup. It’s made from thermally bonded panels, instead of the traditional 32 panels of pentagons and hexagons.

That makes it a lot smoother, but has given the players fits.

“You might think if you make a ball very, very smooth, it will fly through the air better than a ball that is rough,” says John Eric Goff, chair of the physics department at Lynchburg College and author of Gold Medal Physics: The Science of Sports.

You might think that, but you’d be wrong.

“As the air goes around a sphere, or one of these sports balls, it forms a little layer near the surface of the sphere called the boundary layer,” says Goff. A rough surface makes that boundary layer break down at lower speeds.

“And what that means is the drag force on the ball, the air resistance, goes down slightly,” he says.

With only eight panels, you might think the Jabulani would be much smoother than a traditional ball, but you’d be wrong. Adidas has added grooves on the Jabulani that make up for the missing seams. Still, there seems to be less drag, less air resistance on a Jabulani when it’s traveling very fast than on a traditional ball.

But more difficult than speed for player’s to get used to is what’s called the knuckling effect. This is when the ball starts behaving erratically because the boundary layer is breaking down at different places around the ball.

“There is an ideal speed for the maximum knuckling effect,” says Rabindra D. Mehta, chief of the Experimental Aero-Physics Branch at the NASA Ames Research Center in California. For a traditional soccer ball it’s around 30 miles per hour.

But for the Jabulani, it’s more like 40 or 45 mph. So it’s flying more erratically at faster speeds.

Incidentally, despite what you might have seen in blogs or newspaper reports, NASA has not investigated the Jabulani. Mehta says he and some colleagues did a demonstration of the aerodynamics of flying objects for local school children, and used the Jabulani as an example.

“There’s a lot of media coverage with all sorts of crazy headlines claiming NASA is doing this and that. We’re not doing anything,” says Mehta. “We just wanted to demonstrate soccer ball aerodynamics to children.”

That may be so, but it’s hardly a headline grabber.

Trakternut

This ain't nuttin' new. Way back in the way back, the early golf balls were smooth. However, they were impossible to play with because they were so erratic. Someone noticed, however, that the longer a ball was used, the better it played. Someone decided that this was attributed to all the little dings and dents on the ball's surface due to being struck with the club. Thus, golf balls were made with the little divots we see in their surfaces today.

Glad I remembered this tidbit of historical nonsense or I'd have shaved both ends, myself. :ermm:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, yea, yea. I've heard the criticism of the ball and it all leaves a little cold. A lot of it comes from goalkeepers who have been the most useless, untalented bunch I have ever seen in my life. You notice that the good or great players haven't criticized it much. The good ones have always been able to make the ball move in the air. That's part of what makes them good. I will grant that the graphics on the ball (they were really weird) might give the perception that it is moving all over the place like a knuckle ball and probably why the harshest critics have been goalkeepers.

Nope, all 22 players on the field are playing with the same ball yet it's only the ones who f**k up who think that it's not flying true and quote all the aeronautical mumbo jumbo as verification. :doh::doh::doh: