• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got rid of Firefox...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
WHAT A RELIEF!!!!
I'd switched from IE7 some time ago thinking it was a good thing.
Not for my computer.
My hard drive has been whacko for months now, the tower fan had been running almost constantly.
:shock:
Tonight the computer is behaving itself for the first time in months!
:doh:
I narrowed it down to Firefox being the problem as it was the only change I'd made to the system recently.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Well its an application that many folks use and prefer it over IE7. Plus it shouldnt affect your computer to where it gets hot and then your fan speed increases. Thats just odd.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's working really well right now Sushi, since I went back to IE.
My computer doesn't sound like it's mixing margaritas.. ;)

Trakternut

I downloaded Firefox a long time ago and have really liked it. I have had no problems that I can attribute to this browser at all. :thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Firefox has had some issues over the years, including runaway processes and memory leaks. If you never upgraded your version, you were probably stuck on one of those with problems. If you download and install the lasted version 3, you will be fine.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Firefox has had some issues over the years, including runaway processes and memory leaks. If you never upgraded your version, you were probably stuck on one of those with problems. If you download and install the lasted version 3, you will be fine.

Yup. It's all I ever use and I never have problems. Mine updated a few weeks ago. I agree that it's strange that you are having issues.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Even with it's memory leaks FireFox kicked butt over IE. IE was a constant nightmare for me. I rebooted countless times because of it, usually because I had umpteenth windows open. I can open all the windows / tabs with firefox and run smoothly.
Whatever works for ya PG, but I have a suspicion this is a temporary fix and the issues will be back.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I use Firefox too, have for years. I've never had any issues with it. IE is slow for me.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the new FireFox 3 is noticeably faster than anything else. Anyone else noticed this?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think the new FireFox 3 is noticeably faster than anything else. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes it is.

I just looked, I'm using 2.0.0.16
Might be time to upgrade

When I upgraded mine all of my problems I was having with 2.0*** came with it. I then when back and uninstalled Everything including 2.0*** and then installed 3.0. Have not had a problem since.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice guys.
I was thrilled with Firefox when I initially got it a while back.
I think we even had a thread concerning it.
Perhaps I do need to get "3".. in fact I do believe Dave encouraged me to do so back then and I didn't.:pat:
For tonight, I'll hang out with IE since things are still relatively smooth and quiet.
I shall try Firefox 3 tomorrow and let you know what I think.
Just seems crazy to change again when this is working so well on a 5 y/o computer that is running so LOW on memory.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
BUMP!

As I stated, I do like it Dave and thanks again for that advice.
It's even better now that I've installed Avast, and got rid of AVG.
The combination somehow makes this machine run smooth as silk.
:mrgreen: ;)

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
What ads?

Oh I see them!

|$$$| and |Make A Donation|

up there with the private forums and photo gallery buttons.

I guess they have been there all along but I never noticed them. :D

jwstewar

I installed Firefox yesterday after reading this thread again. I've used it since then. Some things are nicer, but I've had several problems with it not displaying things correctly and even posting on here. Ended up having to switch back to IE to do what I needed to do. If I have to do everything twice, I might as well just stay with IE. Getting ready to go uninstall it now.

BTW, on this machine (a 3.16 dual core, w/ 4 gig of RAM, and Vista 64-bit) it isn't really quicker than either IE 32-bit or IE 64-bit.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Some things are nicer, but I've had several problems with it not displaying things correctly and even posting on here.
I have come across some web sites that do not display properly, and this is almost always the fault of the site itself (they use undocument or non-standard features of IE).

I have never had any problems with FF and Firefox.