• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 443 transfer case gear rub.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
The transfer case lost most of its gear oil over the summer and appeared to be leaking out of the rear pinion seal. When I bought this cat it did appear to have new seals and wear bands on the lower drive yokes completed while still in the frame. I pulled the case out and found that when rotating it by hand there was a very tight spot about 1/3 of the rotation. I split the case and found that the idler gear was rubbing on the case despite not finding any damage to the cups or bearings.

afd107f9df618c192862fc84ec8a4977.jpg

44ffb04e8c2823cb4ce2b1b7b0cba44f.jpg

The easy fix would be to put the case cover in the mill and fly cut about .020” off of the interference area. I’m sure the correct fix would be replace the bearings and cup to see if the rub goes away? I can’t imagine there can be that much wear in the parts that would cause the gear to ride off center let alone only wear on 1/2 of the case cover.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Just "spitballin'" (meaning this might be a plausible explanation) but I'm wondering if the idler gear bores do not line up between the two case halves when they are bolted together. That could cause the idler gear to be out of alignment (and not perpendicular to the case halves) and therefore be rubbing on the one side?

There would be no way (that I can think of) that you could machine both case halves simultaneously and eliminate a possible alignment issue.

Just a thought...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe people before you installed close but not correct races ?

Looks like a lip above them lik they sit too deep or race is short?