• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ain't this a kick in the....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I finished cutting the hay this morning, and when I went to disconnect the mower PTO shaft, this is what I discovered.....

The bearing seal on the PTO output was gone, and almost half the bearings were shredded and sitting at the bottom of the rear housing.

Luckily, the guy I bought the tractor from last year has a bearing and a shop press. I have it all taken apart and cleaned up to take over there tonight and press on the new bearing.

Attachments

• 061007_12341.jpg
    061007_12341.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 061007_12342.jpg
    061007_12342.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 061007_12343.jpg
    061007_12343.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 061007_13221.jpg
    061007_13221.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 061007_13222.jpg
    061007_13222.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 061007_13232.jpg
    061007_13232.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 33

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
That one spline look pretty rusty. Do you maybe have a seal that is bad?

I suspect the bearing seal has been bad for quite some time.

What has me confused is there are no grease fittings for the bearing. I can only guess the entire tailshaft housing should be packed with grease, then mounted to the tractor.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suspect the bearing seal has been bad for quite some time.
I suspect the same, but hey, I have mastered suspecting the obvious :tiphat:

Just curious, do you have a parts manual for your Oliver? I'm curious if there is supposed to be a fitting of some type back there?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I suspect the same, but hey, I have mastered suspecting the obvious :tiphat:

Just curious, do you have a parts manual for your Oliver? I'm curious if there is supposed to be a fitting of some type back there?

I do not have a parts manual, but the tailshaft housing does not have any undrilled bosses, so I don't think there was any kind of oversight in the manufacturing, nor a grease fitting having been removed or lost over the years.

Trakternut

That bearing, since it's got a seal, should be lubricated from the inside via the gear case oil. Are the levels up to snuff? Packing grease into the new bearing won't hurt anything, but I'm bettin' that it's not getting internally lubricated.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
That bearing, since it's got a seal, should be lubricated from the inside via the gear case oil. Are the levels up to snuff? Packing grease into the new bearing won't hurt anything, but I'm bettin' that it's not getting internally lubricated.

I don't think so. The gear oil level is fine. This tractor has a dual 540RPM and 1000RPM PTO. The tailshaft assembly is designed to be easily swapped between the two positions. In one of the pictures, you can see the female splined shaft of the 540 RPM. The 1000 RPM is located behind the round cover plate with four bolts directly above. These two female shafts have the main gear case seals, and I see no evidence of leakage at those seals. There is also no oil passage from the gear case to tail shaft housing. Finally, the bearing that blew out today also had a seal on the inside of the housing, not just the outside.

Trakternut

Alrighty then!! You answered me. I'm assuming that it's a common brand of tractor. A quick phone call to a dealership should answer your questions. It looks to be a JD, but I've been fooled before.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Alrighty then!! You answered me. I'm assuming that it's a common brand of tractor. A quick phone call to a dealership should answer your questions. It looks to be a JD, but I've been fooled before.

LOL. All the dealerships are long gone. It's an Oliver 1850.

Trakternut

Oliver became part of White, which was inhaled into Agco. Try an Agco dealership, that has been in business before the mergers.