• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quick welding question

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
6013 is considered a pretty effective "hot glue" rod right? Welds through paint and rust?

Also, my grinder is DOA right now. If I have one painted piece of steel and another unpainted, can I ground the unpainted piece only and get a good weld?

This is just for a jury-rigged harrow I am building, so looks don't count.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It's about as forgiving as any, but no rods perform very well with a lot of impurities. The longer you can keep your puddle liquid like, the better the chance you'll get the crap to float to the top. The 6013 is a decent overall electrode. Many people get far too concerned with strength ratings of a particular electrode. A 60XX rod is rated at 60,000 pounds, a 70XX is rated at 70,000 pounds etc. Most all mild steel will fail before 60,000. It does you no good to have a weld that will hold to 80,000 pounds when your parent material will fail at 30,000.

daedong

DaveNay said:
6013 is considered a pretty effective "hot glue" rod right? Welds through paint and rust?

Also, my grinder is DOA right now. If I have one painted piece of steel and another unpainted, can I ground the unpainted piece only and get a good weld?

This is just for a jury-rigged harrow I am building, so looks don't count.
No problem at all.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
It's about as forgiving as any, but no rods perform very well with a lot of impurities. The longer you can keep your puddle liquid like, the better the chance you'll get the crap to float to the top. The 6013 is a decent overall electrode. Many people get far too concerned with strength ratings of a particular electrode. A 60XX rod is rated at 60,000 pounds, a 70XX is rated at 70,000 pounds etc. Most all mild steel will fail before 60,000. It does you no good to have a weld that will hold to 80,000 pounds when your parent material will fail at 30,000.

some good advice,,,,,,,,,,,,burn the rod a long time and burn of the stuff,,,,,,,,,,,makes sense,,,,,,,maybe,,,,,,,,,,,thingmy

:whistle:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
some good advice,,,,,,,,,,,,burn the rod a long time and burn of the stuff,,,,,,,,,,,makes sense,,,,,,,maybe,,,,,,,,,,,thingmy

:whistle:

Ah, yer killin me,,,,,:yum: :yum:

neber weldud mahself eny,,,,buts i steyed at a hollerday in spress 1 time,,,,

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK...finally got around to this project this evening.

6011 1/8" rod. Seemed cold. OK penetration, sloppy bead and splatter
6013 3/16" rod. Nice penetration, but very very sloppy bead and splatter.
7014 3/16" rod. Looks great, slag chips off nicely and leaves a nice bead. Poor penetration on the painted material.
7018 3/16" rod. Don't know. It was almost two years old, and the flux broke off when I touched it.

Before anyone says anything about shoulda done this, shoulda done that; of course the 7014 won't penetrate painted surfaces, blah blah blah. This is my first attempt to actually weld two pieces that I plan on using, and not just messing around. I am trying to learn what results I get in what situations.

Final result is the 6013 is a mess, but probably has the stongest welds.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
OK...finally got around to this project this evening.

Final result is the 6013 is a mess, but probably has the stongest welds.

Ya'll want purty - get a mig and be done with it...or practice, practice, practice.

:weneedpic