• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1991 7.3 want a turbo to add

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Just looking to add on a turbo to my 7.3 anyone out there been through this ? What am I up against ? a little help would be great :whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gail Banks Turbo's would be would be my first stop...My second would be a newer turbo'ed 7.3 from the salvage yard, from and a wrecked, but newer truck.

Typically a normally asperated diesel, has a higher compression ratio than the same engine with a turbocharger. Add to this USLD that we now have to burn, and perhpas the newer salvaged engine makes more sence....Or maybe just trade for another newer used diesel 7.3 powered truck.

As well as a lower compression ratio, other items may be beefed up in the bottom of the motor in the turbo version, that will not be with yours if you add the turbo...Cooling systems are larger for turbo'ed engines as well....Tansmissions are beefier too...Yours will not be.

Could end up costing more in the long run if you burn it down trying.... Just say'in...

Regards, Kirk

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Well that puts an end to that idea I didnt know what would be involved to do it . I think I would just shell out for a new truck . The 7.3 I have now gets er done but just slow up the hill . I will leave it . Its a sound truck as it is thanks . irongoat:wink:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
some ways the turbo makes sence cooling will be improved with forced induction but tour boost will be limited to about 10 psi or less so the turbo won't be much more than an atmasphere compensator.on the down side it's going to make servicing parts of the engine a bitch