• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ski Dozer 252

Thinice

Hi Guys, I have been trolling thru past threads on anything 252. Wow alot of info. I went to the sight for Manuals and down loaded the Skidozer 252 and it seems to be missing pages. What did I do wrong or am doing wrong?
Also, I have a few questions some of you may be able to answer.
Have any of you heard of a Mopar 727 Tranny used in a Turbo Diesel 252? Seller says thats whats in it but all info I find is that they had Ford C-6's.
Steering Brake shoes, can these be relined?
Will be traveling to take a look at the Ol' Girl later this wk. :clap:
So if any of you have tips on what to look for on these unit it woiuld be most appreciated.

Thx,

ThinIce:smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinice,

Yes I know some but boggie here (Minnisota outdoors) knows much more. Our clubs 252 is perkins diesel powered, (non turbo) but I think your right on the C-6 bring stock with a 300 Ford 6 cylinder...Not aware of the turbo diesel and the 727 trans...

The brake shoes are full relinable. But the ring and pinion are what you really need to worry about. You have to remove the diff. top cover to see these.. $1,500 for those. And much work too...

The flexator shafts on the front two wheels, check for toe out. This is what they do when worn and tired. The Torsion shaft is splined and the swing arms are to so to be indexable. The slines get worn out and they slip. Check for welding on or around them. The back yard fix is to weld them up solid...Not good at all. The fronts go first as tension is on them. Check them all however...I have seen a block welded to the frame inside the front flexator arm, to keep it from toeing out. Not good either.

They are a pretty good machine if in good shape. I hope others here have more to add.

Good luck, Kirk

undy

Hi Thinice,

The manual download is missing pages. I don't know why or how to get the missing pages. Perhaps someone can chime in.

My 252 has a Ford engine and tranny. Can't help you with 252D info.

I was told the brake shoes can be relined, but I couldn't offer info on where. If you haven't, you might call Minn. Outdoors (Boggie here) for better advice on them.

I'm down by Madison, and working my way through a 252 I just picked up this past winter. I'm pretty new to this whole thing, so I'm probably not qualified to give you a pre-purchase check list. It may also depend a lot on whether it runs/moves or not as far as how much you CAN check out. There are the obvious: tire condition, wheel wiggle and alignment, track, frame and body, hydraulics, etc. The checkouts for the engine and tranny are pretty similar to auto items, from what I can see.

If you take lots of pictures, and post them, other wiser folks may spot things of interest.

SIMONALLEN

I have the operator's/maintenance manual as pdf already and have just started the parts manual for you sent me your email address.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if it is ford powered it should be a c-6 unless there some kind of adaptor for it as for the diesel using a 727 that is believable as i have seen perkins diesels attached to chrysler transmissions in tugs

Thinice

Well, I just got back from checking out the 252D. We bought it! The perkins Turbo diesel purred like a kitten. Drove and turned pretty good, seeing that we were on hard pack dirt. Once out in the softer gravel drive it manuvered quite well. It has 2yr old grousers, guides and sprokets. Although I told them the grousers were on backwards ( short side to the back, or drive side of sprokets when going Fwd.) They told me they turned them around as it had way better traction going up the hills they have there this way. And boy they sure had some pretty good inclines on their trail system. We plan on turning them around as we are pretty flat here. Should get longer wear too. Blade (6way) worked good and foldup drag w/custom cutter bars worked well to. (Fold Drag for sale if anyone interested)
Over all a pretty good older machine. Good group of guys too, thru in everything they had for it. manuals, new solid tires, all the old grousers, ice picks, filters, flexiators and shafts and a custom S.S. tool box that mounts on the bed.
I want to thank all of you who helped educate us on what to look for and so on. Your help and info proved very valueable!
I will post some pic's soon!

Thinice:w00t2:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinice,

Make sure there isn't ATF in the rear end. They sold hundreds of ring and pinion sets when owners were told to use it. It did not work well at all...Use John Deere torque guard (J 20C) and make sure the pump that squirts oil onto to the ring and pinion are working. The pump is driven off the drive shaft by belt on our machine. It quit working and now there is heat damage to the pinion gear. We only hope it will last a while longer...

Regards, Kirk

Thinice

Negative on ATF. in all the records I recieved with unit, I did not see any indication of ATF being used. Found many reciepts for the JD 20C though, so thats good. I will surely check the pump flow once its Hm.
Awhile back someone here wrote about a place in Ohio that relines Steering bands w/Kevlar. The name is Tribco. I emailed them and they could not find any history on 252 bands to give me a quote. Do any of you know approx how long,wide and thick the lining is when new? That is the info they were looking for. That or if I had a name of the person/Company that had it done to a 252 at their place, as it would be easier for them to find the needed info that way.

Thinice

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Negative on ATF. in all the records I recieved with unit, I did not see any indication of ATF being used. Found many reciepts for the JD 20C though, so thats good. I will surely check the pump flow once its Hm.
Awhile back someone here wrote about a place in Ohio that relines Steering bands w/Kevlar. The name is Tribco. I emailed them and they could not find any history on 252 bands to give me a quote. Do any of you know approx how long,wide and thick the lining is when new? That is the info they were looking for. That or if I had a name of the person/Company that had it done to a 252 at their place, as it would be easier for them to find the needed info that way.

Thinice

our bands are 28% kevlar we tried more and and all it did was start to wear the steel drum new the bands are 3" wide and 1/4 " thick it takes about three feet per side

Bambamdan

I was wondering if manual still available someone was a smart ass and try to redesign the hydrolics now nothing is working and pump is fuck and i have 30 hose that go fuckbuck nowhere does anyone as the piping diagram