• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

350 Case ripper

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 1974 Case 350 with a compound blade bucket and a Davis 130 backhoe. I'm wondering if there is an available ripper that would fit on the unit usint the Back hoe mounts and hydrualics.

And also wondering what price I should be looking to pay for such a device. Used preferably.

I stone cold haven't a clue here but will be looking at several delers inSt Louis and/or Springfield MO area and would like not to get skunked.

Ideas?

grizzer

I'v seen a JD 350 unit (10k lb) that fit on the dozer bh mounts. Rare bird. Might be easier to find a junk ag ripper & rig it to fit the bh.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a D8 ripper tooth we fabbed up a mount for the Cat 416 backhoe. It made a great rock pick for tough trenches.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have rock filled sand loam, kinda like what Mulman has. Fabbing something up might be my only route. I just have so little time anymore.

But with all the stumps and roots from the clearcutting, and the jillions of little trees coming up for the last five years,, I'll never get the pasture carved out of this old ground with the dozer blade alone.

My neighbor is bartering on a D8 with a ripper. I might just give him $2K or so and let him do it.

franc

grizzer

I have a JD 350 9K base, 1K blade (6x) and about 3K BH.

Personally I'd pull the stumps with the BH.

Then depending on slopes I'd simply pull an on-land hitch plow behind an ag tractor to rip roots & smooth craters followed by a cultivator and a leveler.

Seed it, cultipack & watch the grass grow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a JD 350 9K base, 1K blade (6x) and about 3K BH.

Personally I'd pull the stumps with the BH.

Then depending on slopes I'd simply pull an on-land hitch plow behind an ag tractor to rip roots & smooth craters followed by a cultivator and a leveler.

Seed it, cultipack & watch the grass grow.

I prolly' have 500 stumps, 20 inches and up, mostly white oak which are a bear to remove. The BH can do it but I'm 65 and would like this done within my lifetime.

The live roots are mostly from the post wildfire sprouts. The soil is a mixture of gravel, sand and flint rocks from softbll to bushell basket boulders. All in a grumble mix that has not ever been mechanicaly disturbed.

So long as the ground has some moisture, I can break it, push it and to some degree level it. Plow? Cultivator,,,,,,,seems a bit of a stretch right now.

Actualy have had some luck with an old iron harrow behind the 9N Ford. So there is hope.

I need to contour the hillside into swells and terraces. Pushing the brush and boulders into ridges should leave something behind that may resemble dirt.

Lots of decent black sandy loam in the bottoms where I want to create a small pond. I should be able to bring it up in the one yard bucket but that puts a lot of miles on the Dozer.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You would be better off renting or hiring a 200 size excavator with a thumb for that many stumps. Use an off road artic dump truck to haul the soil you need moved. Then finish and compact the pond and terraces with your machine.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You would be better off renting or hiring a 200 size excavator with a thumb for that many stumps. Use an off road artic dump truck to haul the soil you need moved. Then finish and compact the pond and terraces with your machine.

Not exactly how I dreamed of doing it. In my mind I just pushed the dirt around. Wah Lah! Pasture and a trout pond.

I guess when I bought the place, I should have stuck my hand in the ground.:ermm:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
ALL dirt, rocks and stumps can be moved and reshaped. Some just costs a lot more to do.:clap::clap:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
ALL dirt, rocks and stumps can be moved and reshaped. Some just costs a lot more to do.:clap::clap:

The five springs run clear and cold over a rock based creekbed all year

It will be worth it in the end. The waterfall is a modest 8 feet high, 40 feet wide and serene. Some 10 acres of the old growth woods remain. Another 30 acres is well covered in mature trees. It will be worth the effort, assuming I'm up to the challenge.

Thanks for the advice.

grizzer

Mule is right we have finishing dozers.

Windrow the roots & debris into burn piles with a grapple equipped exc.

Trade that 9N for something in the utility utility class with MFWD loader and at least a roll bar for safety on slopes. A harrow (same as leveler) will only scratch the surface.

For the larger rocks turned up with the plow I pick them with a grapple on the tractor loader, smaller ones <1000 lbs I have an old 1200lb rated JD skidloader & rockbucket (and a kid to run it).

A large 25K-40K lb dozer is going to destroy your topsoil going after stumps.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Mule is right we have finishing dozers.

Windrow the roots & debris into burn piles with a grapple equipped exc.

Trade that 9N for something in the utility utility class with MFWD loader and at least a roll bar for safety on slopes. A harrow (same as leveler) will only scratch the surface.

For the larger rocks turned up with the plow I pick them with a grapple on the tractor loader, smaller ones <1000 lbs I have an old 1200lb rated JD skidloader & rockbucket (and a kid to run it).

A large 25K-40K lb dozer is going to destroy your topsoil going after stumps.

yeah, I do worry about that. On the other hand, my neighbor did his pasutre with a D9. Seems fine but he likley cultivated it severely afterwords.

Tractor stays. We are attached. It'll be fine with a brushog and a mower deck.

It has a bucket loader and I used it to build a 3 acre cove onto our subdivision lake. So don't put it down so easily.

That said, when I first tried to just clear the path for a new driveway we had an issue. I put the bucket to the Ozark dirt and the tractor simply said "NOPE, not gonna do it."

I considered adding a Bobcat skid loader but it will just roll down the hills.
Anyways, I am sure a compact tractor, (Kabota has my eye), will fill in the blanks at some point in time. And then the Ford will be put out to pasture,, with the mower attached.

A friend had a backhoe with a static thumb on it for boulders. Most of mine are much less than a thousand lbs so I think the Davis could do it. The track Dozer is not as nimble as a rubber wheeled job. But I only have a small toy budget.

As for the kid, Don't got one of them for the real work.. He's forty and in a wheel chair.

Kane

My neighbor is bartering on a D8 with a ripper. I might just give him $2K or so and let him do it.

Seems the best alternative. Sit up on the hill with a bottle of the good stuff and watch it all go away.

Repeat next Fall with one hellofa bonfire.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
franc,

Here is one at this dealer for a 450 Case of your vintage. I don't know if the frame size is the same as the 350, but it might be. JD I know uses the same frame size for aq couple of different models. I think Case did the same. Unfortunately it's a long way away. But they do ship...

http://www.hunttractor.com/dozer_attachments.htm

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
franc,

You might be surprised at the shipping costs in a good way. The bar and cylinders are really not all that heavy. Truck freight, although not cheap is not outragous either. My bet is the ripper attachment was a low prduction unit, and most that were bought are still with the orignal machine. So to see one for sale as a seperate attachment would be a some what rare thing to find. I guess it depends on what it is worth to you....and how bad you want one. Hell I know all about that one...thanks to this forum, I redisovered Snow Tracs, and ended up buying one from here! The shipping was a side deal I already had worked out with another member of the forum. The stars "alined" for once....It came from the Seattle area.

Christmas2010002.jpg

Good luck,

Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
With your smaller machine and it's light weight you will have a hell of a time trying to tear out stumps that large. I would bet you do more damage and wear and tear to it than the cost of hiring it out. Hard to beat an excavator for mass stump removal unless you bring in a real big dozer. The excavator will allow you to save more soil at the hole also.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
muleman is right about the stumps, an excavator would be the first choice. The ripper on the other hand would be good on the stray roots...

For speeding up land contouring in rocky conditions it will make your bulldozing go much easier and faster. In areas that you want to plant something into, it would work well root up the rocks for removal. It will also add some weight to your machine giving it more traction. But then again a neighbor with a D8 or 9 would work as well, but you'll have quite a job finishing and leveling when done unless the guy is an ace.

In short the ripper points let you concentrate the force of pull of the dozer onto a very small area, just what you need for the jobs I list above.

Regards, Kirk