• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A deal, or not a deal???

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, here's the story; a BIL borrowed a cheapo 10" Makita miter saw from me this last winter. Apparently it got stolen out of his van. Since he needed another saw to finish his job, he went and bought a much nicer sliding compound miter saw, that he needed in the first place. Here is the deal; he has offered to give me this Hitachi 12" compound miter in exchange for my missing 10" Makita saw. He says that this Hitachi is like brand new and is still on it's original blade, but he will be providing a new Hitachi blade with it that he says cost him $72.

At first, it ticks me off that he didn't tell me about it until I needed it. However, unless I'm mistaken, a 3 month old Hitachi C12LSH with a new blade is worth more than my plain jane Makita saw. Thoughts?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I agree that he should have told you about the loss. However, my rule with borrowing equipment (and I only lend and borrow things to/from a very select few) is that it must be returned in "as good or better" condition.

In this case he is returning it in better condition because he can't return your original saw.

As for the Hitachi brand, I went to buy a Makita compound miter saw a couple years ago, came home with a Hitachi. Works great. Mine is not the fancy slider, but it does all I ask, and is easy to adjust, holds its settings, etc.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,
Many years ago, while I was young and dumb ( I've since gotten older), I loaned a miter saw to my brother. He loaned it to a "friend" and somehow it was stolen. I found out later it was pawned for drug money. Anyway, I had loaned him an 8 1/4" miter saw. He felt bad, or at least his friends Dad felt bad and bought me a new B&D 10" saw. I think I made out on that deal since the old one was given to me in the first place.
I would take the Hitachi. You're getting better than you had at first. At least this one is a compound saw.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo, I agree with Bob about not telling you. But, take the saw and run! That Hitachi is a VERY nice machine. At one time the Hitachi was the top rated saw.:tiphat::beer:

daedong

I agree with the others take the saw and run. It's not worth even a comment to you BIL, only causes friction.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dargo.......... take the Hitachi and send it to me postpaid. I will in return send you my Makita miter saw postpaid in return. That way, you will have what you want, and so will I...... Junk....:thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Dargo.......... take the Hitachi and send it to me postpaid. I will in return send you my Makita miter saw postpaid in return. That way, you will have what you want, and so will I...... Junk....:thumb:

Pfffttt...tell me your PayPal address and I'll re-imburse you for postage, and then I'll send you my old DeWalt. :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I feel so much better. What a nice caring group you guys are. :thumb: Now, what in the hell is that damn laser thing-a-ma-jig on it?!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Dargo said:
I feel so much better. What a nice caring group you guys are. :thumb: Now, what in the hell is that damn laser thing-a-ma-jig on it?!
That's the new anti-bro inlaw device.........it severs the fingers off those who don't enter the correct password. Which in your case would be.............???

JimR

Charter Member
WOW, That is a no brainer of a deal. Jump all over that and give him a kiss to boot. Or better yet, buy him a case of beer. WooHoo to you.