• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fireplace Grates

BoneheadNW

During this time of year, we burn wood in our fireplace every day for several hours. We have lived in this house for over 6 years and are on our third fireplace grate. Is it normal for a fireplace grate to disintegrate over a year or two?
Here is a photo of the fireplace.
Bone

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 215
D

darroll

Please check with your fireplace people on this.
We don’t use grates in either of our fireplaces. One is a fireplace insert.
I don’t want you to burn your house down if you don’t use one.

Kwiens

We are on our third one in 11 years. The one that came with our fireplace insert lasted about three years. I picked up a heavier one from a "Hearth & Home" store and it lasted six years.

K

BoneheadNW

Please check with your fireplace people on this.
We don’t use grates in either of our fireplaces. One is a fireplace insert.
I don’t want you to burn your house down if you don’t use one.

Don't worry about that. We do need to use a grate. Frankly, I don't trust the local fireplace shop. That is where I bought all 3 grates from. I think that their grates are substandard. That is why I stated this thread.
Bonehead

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm struggling a little with what you are referring to as a "Fireplace Grate".

Do you mean the steel 'rack' inside the firebox that you pile the firewood on? If that is the case, I don't use one. We burn right on the bricks per the fireplace manufacturer. No problems in 3 years of operation. We burnt 3 full cord last year and will probably burn near 5 this year.

(My Fireplace)

Picture taken during construction, union supervisor present.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 215

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If you're set up to weld, buy some #5 rebar and make your own. It will probably last as long as the ones you're buying. IMO the only thing a grate does is make it easier to remove the ashes.
Mike

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I dont think I've ever replaced mine. Cast iron and nice and chunky, no sign of it failing any time soon.

Very funky fireplace BTW Bone :D