• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quasi Antique car nippin at my wallet ...

DAP

Junk, this one's for you (BTW, last we talked you were trying to buy and old supmin or other, but wouldn't divulge what it was till the deal was fixed ... I digress) ....

The FIRST and VERY FIRST car as a lad of about 14 I EVER WANTED was:

MGB GT - this is the fastback version of the MGB convertible. Someone about 30 mins from my house is sellin one for 2500 USD. 2800 takes IT and 5 boxes o parts ...

It's BRG ( british racing green) ... and listen, MGBs although considered sports cars, never tore anything up or finished any endurance races I know of .. but it was THE FIRST CAR that rang my bell ...

Absolutely no place to put it, the CEO will scream and throw sharp metal objects, it will undoubtedly throw a rod on the way home ... the drivers seat pan will give way, the radio won't work (if there is one) ... and I'll get not ONE, but TWO flats on the way home, all serial numbers will be mysteriously filed away but who cares cause I'm the only bozo who'd ever want one of these things ... as such ...:drink:

The way I'm seein it, this is an absolute must, no?

Attachments

• MGinterior 007sml.JPG
    MGinterior 007sml.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 191
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 196

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you don't buy it, will you ever forgive yourself?

Send Mrs_DAP out of town for the weekend to visit relatives or your old neighbors and then let the car follow you home. I'm not saying I've ever done that, but it strikes me that most things seems to show up around my house when the lovely Mrs_B is out of town :whistle:

It is harder and harder to get her to leave, especially since the Snow Trac arrived :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey DAP!! Welcome to FF. :)
Good looking MG. I always liked those to. Price sure sounds right. Listen to Bob, he has a pretty good system for aquiring new stuff, and he's done rather well with it. Go for it man!!!! :D

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
DAP...1st...learn to duck....2nd...Share with the Mrs. that 1: this is an investment but 2: (and more importantly) you knew how wonderful SHE would look driving this around town. Yes I know you cringe at the thought of her actually sitting in the "Captains Chair" .....but son it is a small price to pay!!! Besides, if there is enough work to be done before she can operate it......the thought of driving may disappear before the work is complete.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I just purchased the car and then told the wife about it. She didn't believe me until she saw the email from the car shipper. If you want it, go for it. Life is too short to deny your desires if you can afford them. Just don't get caught with a desire for another woman. Hell..... you can blow $2500 on a week in Florida and not have anything to show for it.
The car that I wouldn't mention is my 1978 Superior Cadillac Ambulance. A great ride that is about as big as they get and still have chrome bumpers. :smileywac This is the picture that I got from the previous owner, a EMS squad in Alaska.

Attachments

• EMS3A.jpg
    EMS3A.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 168

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
DAP said:
The FIRST and VERY FIRST car as a lad of about 14 I EVER WANTED was:

MGB GT - this is the fastback version of the MGB convertible. Someone about 30 mins from my house is sellin one for 2500 USD. 2800 takes IT and 5 boxes o parts ...

The way I'm seein it, this is an absolute must, no?

Just do it. $2,800 is not a lot of money.

Be sure to get the parts.

If you actually intend to drive it that gets more complicated - get an insurance quote first, and maybe a second loan on your house for the engine rebuilds.

You realize, I hope, that the British spent all week preping those for the weekly Sunday drive. You will also, but that's not a bad hobby.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Junk,
Do you ever drive around with the emergency lights going on that beast?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Last summer I got waved through the intersection where the exit ramp for the MA Pike and another highway cross. I had the siren blaring, the lights flashing, and a big mother ass rescue truck behind me blowing his air horn. When we finally got to our destination the driver of the 2005 Freightliner rescue truck couldn't believe that the old Caddy could do 60 MPH going over the bridge crossing the Connecticut River. There was a gap in the parade that I was in and they were pushing me to close up the gap. It wasn't my fault that the gap occurred, it was the cop that stopped me to look over the rig as I went through town. For some unknown reason, they wouldn't understand if I were to try it at any other time. :D

DAP

I came, I saw, I left ...

It was a little further gone than I could stomach ... the floor pan was just about done, it wasn't running (electrical) and I panicked when I saw all those 'LUCAS' stickers. I owned a land rover once, so i know a thing or three about the latter...Thought I'd see more "British Leyland" insignias.

I coulda been a potential sucker, but ya gotta meet me half way ... at least see to it making the trip to my digs 40 mins away ...

Wasn't looking for a complete re-do ... and thats what this was sayin to me ... plus, it wasn't the 8 cylinder conversion ...

My sanity just may have prevailed this time ... sorry if anyone is dissapointed ...

:)

:puke1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My guess is you are more disappointed than any of us.

I would recommend you try your restoration hand at a Snow Trac!

DAP

B_Skurka said:
My guess is you are more disappointed than any of us.

I would recommend you try your restoration hand at a Snow Trac!

Yes, it was a bad taste. However, I'm 2800 USD richer. Now ... Snow Trac ... that would be a gas ... If somehow I could convince the town fire department to utilize it .. perhaps the entire thing could be a write off ... Skurka, how much are your consulting fees?

:applause:

Himself

You'r way better off with the money in your pocket.
The British Leyland thing means a lot less to me than the Morris Garage thing.
Triumph engines with 30K mile pistons. Piss poor knee action shocks. Even the poppets in the SU's will need soldered, etc.
In coastal New England the Leylands, hell all of them, end up as perforated rust buckets. That's why you dont see them on the road. Well that and Joseph Lucas that is. They had a 'cold start' kit for the Austins we used to have and it don't get nothing like cold around here really. 30*F and you had to clear the frozen blowby out of the intake or the SOB choked to death.
That b-gt had a battery where?
I think God smiled on you.
Keep the cash. Look for a TVR, at least they dont rust.

All the Best,
Martin

DAP

Martin ... that is sound advice and I shall take it.

Happy holidays to you neighbor ...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
Yes, it was a bad taste. However, I'm 2800 USD richer. Now ... Snow Trac ... that would be a gas ... If somehow I could convince the town fire department to utilize it .. perhaps the entire thing could be a write off ... Skurka, how much are your consulting fees?

:applause:

I work free for the betterment of the Snow Trac community :whistle:

JimR

Charter Member
Hey DAP, Since you like sports cars and older ones. Try one of these. They can be bought cheap. Parts are no more expensive that the MG. There are tons of used parts around for them. The cars are much better built and you can with care get 300-400k out of them. They handle nice and they are a blast to drive. I paid $350.00 for the 1989 325i blue one and $200 for the 1987 325is red one. They both run excellent. One needs a tranny which I have. The other needs body work. I hope to fix both of these up for my new hobby of collecting BMW's. I also own a 1988 535is. The blue BMW has sat for 15 months because of the tranny. The guy didn't want to dump $$$$ to have a tranny put in it. The red one has sat for 2 years while the kid was in college. He didn't want to mess with it when he got home from school. Mom and dad bought him a newer vehicle. I started both cars and was able to drive both of them up on my trailer to get them home.

Attachments

• 1989325i1.jpg
    1989325i1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 77
  • 1989325i.jpg
    1989325i.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1987325is1.jpg
    1987325is1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 77