• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Installing a fireplace insert

JimR

Charter Member
I installed a fireplace insert in my fireplace today. I cut a new damper plate out of a 1/4" steel sheet and blew a 6" hole for my stove pipe using my plasma cutter. What an easy task that was. I bought the insert used and of course the manual doesn't tell you everything. The previous owner said that the outside of the stove was wrapped in insulation in his firepalce. The stovepipe and above the stove was comepletely filled in with pink insulation. My question is this. Is this the right thing to do? Does pink insulation burn?
TIA, Jim

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim, I didn't install it, but I had one installed in my family room, I honestly can't tell you much other than to say that mine is a zero clearance model and you can touch the back of mine without burning your hand. Its hot to be sure, but not scalding/burning hot.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My question is this. Is this the right thing to do? Does pink insulation burn?
TIA, Jim

Yes and No. In the State of Minnesota we had a lot of houses catch on fire from the heat of a Class B Chimney transfer threw pink insulation to the rafter. Of which then the rafter caught on fire. So I would not use the pink insulation. Now in Minnesota where the Class B goes through the insulation we have a put a sleeve around the chimney to prevent this..

Your insert may already be insulated like Bob said making it a zero clearance unit??

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can get fire retardent foam insulation (i.e. Like Great Stuff) I would look into using that anywhere near the chimney.

I'm not an installer. I just know the stuff exists.

sleeper

JimR,

Go to www.hearth.com, click on community and ask the question.

I do know that a there is a special insulation made for direct contact with high heat surfaces (single wall stovepipe).....it has a foil face and a dense white insulating material. It's expensive and can be purchased at any Fireplace/Hearth store.

JimR

Charter Member
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Mine is a zero clearance unit also. It is fire brick lined all the way around including the top of the stove except for the front door. I will check the local stove shop tomorrow and see what they say.