• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel prices dropping/coronavirus

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget that Russia and the Saudi's are having an oil production war, that started before the whole drop in demand and the free fall in prices started prior to any lockdowns.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Price war and now the Chinaman Virus is driving down prices here as well. 2.39 a gallon the other day. Should be dropping more now.

I'm looking forward to under 2 bucks. That would be nice.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
One side effect of this whole nationwide self quarantine is that people are driving less. Supply of gas and oil is increasing as demand is decreasing. For the first time in years we are seeing gasoline prices drop significantly. I haven't seen prices low like this in over 15 years.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatu...canadians-hunker-down-over-covid-19-concerns/

UH...;NO!
There is a crude war going on and since we are self-sufficient on fossil energy, it doesn't impact the USA negatively. Instead, the President was able to purchase cheap foreign crude to fill our reserves. An action for which he was, as usual, criticized.

Crude is now at $38.00 a barrel. Worry that such low prices are below producing costs, even for our burgeoning fossil fuel industry. In the long term, the effects could be bad for our domestic producers as well.
The Stock market always reacts negatively to crude price wars. Add to that the pandemic-panic fears of the investor mob mentality and you get,,,,; Bargains.

Meanwhile trucks are busing burning diesel to get consumer goods to market. Demand for both fuel and commodities is not down. The lemmings are running to the cliff edge. Don't be one!!!
My advice is free and worth every penny.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My understanding is the war is not between the Rooskees and the camel jockies.
It's the rooskees attempting to break our highly leveraged shale industry.

Sounds plausible?

Any way, premium last week at BJs was 2.35. I'm guessing it will be lower this week.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My understanding is the war is not between the Rooskees and the camel jockies.
It's the rooskees attempting to break our highly leveraged shale industry.

Sounds plausible?
Russia and OPEC are fighting it out.

A few years ago OPEC did drop their oil prices significantly enough to hurt our shale industry. Enough so that I don't think the shale industry has fully bounced back. I know around here it hasn't and our area was one of the largest target areas for drilling.

I get gas at 90-cents off the pump price which is currently $2.49 so I'd get it at $1.59. I have 20 empty 5-gallon gas cans (which is all I can fit in the bed of my truck). Thought about getting some but I already have enough.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know I'll be filling up the vehicles and gas cas while the price is low as I can almost guarantee it won't stay low for long after all this coronavirus stuff is done.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I'll be filling up the vehicles and gas cas while the price is low as I can almost guarantee it won't stay low for long after all this coronavirus stuff is done.
True. Prices always go up just before Memorial Day and will stay a notch higher than normal all summer.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
True. Prices always go up just before Memorial Day and will stay a notch higher than normal all summer.

I'm betting prices will go up before then.
This is very short term. Production is already being reduced. That takes about 3 weeks. So, once the pipeline clears of current orders it will be full of more expensive crude due to lower supplies.

There is always a lag following lower crude prices. But never a lag in retail increase the moment crude prices go up.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So last week we were at 1.27 per liter. Now, it's averaging around 1.10 in the city. Other areas in the province are now in the 90s per liter.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
20200318_162705.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Most places here are now averaging around $1-1.05 a liter. A tank of gas in the truck previously cost me around $140 to fill from empty. Now, it's around $100. Big savings. Problem is that with everything shut down I really don't have anywhere to go. I should fill up some cans though for the quads/boat this summer.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
One station locally is $1.89 Gallon today. At that price I could fill the Jeep from empty for less than 30 bucks. However, like NR I have no place to go. The Jeep sits in the garage collecting dust. LOL.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Lots of gear heads wondering where the first $.99 is going to be. Will not be up here. Will will most likely not see anything lower than $1.49 or so.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One station locally is $1.89 Gallon today. At that price I could fill the Jeep from empty for less than 30 bucks. However, like NR I have no place to go. The Jeep sits in the garage collecting dust. LOL.

About the same here. And like you, nowhere to go. Mt Airy, aka Mayberry, NC, virtually 100% dependent on tourist trade, has posted foreigners not welcome signs on the interstates.

It will be the panic that kills us. Not the virus.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Finally hit 2.99 at my closest station. I think WA state has over a $1 in taxes per gallon so it will never get that low.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Finally hit 2.99 at my closest station. I think WA state has over a $1 in taxes per gallon so it will never get that low.

A buck a gallon in fuel taxes? Jeez, your roads must be in perfect condition with all that money going to roads. It is a road tax right?

Bamby

Another Consideration....

Our economy is interconnected. One small example is oil refining. Oil cannot be simply refined to one thing; it is "cracked" into different components. Well, closures of businesses means that only diesel remains in high demand for trucks, there's very little demand for gasoline since you just told me I can't go take a vacation or drive to work (thus the wholesale futures price now being sixty cents a gallon) and the other industrial chemicals including naptha, jet fuel, asphalt base, kerosene (jet fuel, basically), waxes, lubricating oil base stocks and more. There are over 6,000 products made from oil and natural gas and only a few of them are considered "life-critical." All the rest of the businesses that use those products have been, in many states, ordered closed.

The problem is that the refinery cannot choose to only make diesel; the other products come out of the system at a more-or-less fixed percentage ratio. It can be shifted somewhat, but not very much. Those products have go somewhere, and if there is no demand for them because you've shut the economy down where do you put them? The answer for a very short period of time is in a tank, of course, but tanks fill up! Now what?

The refinery must shut down, that's what.

Oh, you said you wanted diesel so the truck can move food? Well now, we seem to be all out of that but I got a big tank of bunker fuel over here and one of gasoline over there, nobody wants either, and I can't turn the refinery back on until I can sell that and get it out of here so there's somewhere to put what will come out of that pipe over here when I turn this thing back on. What, you mean that big truck won't run on gasoline? Well that's sad, because it's all I have! Oh, incidentally, since everyone else has all that too guess what -- that diesel is going to be pretty expensive when I have room to turn the refinery back on since all the rest of this stuff is worth zero!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
A buck a gallon in fuel taxes? Jeez, your roads must be in perfect condition with all that money going to roads. It is a road tax right?

Ha Ha Ha - it's supposed to go to roads but I think it just gets diverted to liberal politician pet causes like homelessness and the environment.

Our roads suck like every where else.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The fuel prices dropping right now is like a bald man winning a lifetime supply of free haircuts. Can't do much with it. I did fill up the truck and all my jerry cans the other day.