Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > The Mistake Forum

The Mistake Forum Opps!! Mistakes, Mishaps & Broke stuff

Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

loboloco will become famous soon enough
Default Gave myself a concussion.

I was bending some metal the old fashioned way, hammer and vise, and placed the metal in the vise so that the strike pressure was straight up, and didn't tighten the vise as tightly as I should. Used a six lb 'smith' hammer to hit the end and predictably, the steel came out of the vise and tapped me on the side of the head just above and back of the right eye socket.
Bled a little, but other than that was okay yesterday. stayed up until nearly midnight and had no problems other than sore at impact point. Woke up this A.M. later than usual with a head ache and jumpy stomach, and my vision is slightly off. Oh well, I knew better, but took a shortcut and it cost me.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 16,444 Times in 5,695 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gave myself a concussion.

We've all done it, but if that headache persists you better go see a doctor. Don't mess around with head trauma. Not sure how old you are, but you just got some fatherly advice.

Hillary for Prison. Trump 2020.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 11,740 Times in 3,590 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

It takes just a second of stupidty to hurt oneself. Take heart in knowing, some folks spend years trying.

Glad you are OK.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,072 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Lobo,

How many fingers do I have up?

Add me to the group that's beaten themselves up over the years. Call me lucky or smart but most of the damage isn't in the cranial lobe. At least that's what I keep telling all those voices in my head.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Thx guys, old enough to know better, TR, but I did it anyway. Yeah, if it continues past tomorrow will get it checked. Not the first time Ihave managed to wind up with a concussion.
Franc, the thing that pisses me off is I knew better. I used to smith as a hobby and knew good and d*mn well that piece wasn't properly secure. Just had a case of the stupids. My only excuse was I had been talking to democrats for about three hours immediately prior.
Bc, can't see that far, but think its the middle one.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 16,444 Times in 5,695 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
My only excuse was I had been talking to democrats for about three hours immediately prior.
That's enough to give any one a migraine.

Hillary for Prison. Trump 2020.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

That sounds as painful as when I was putting chains on the backhoe and went to go to the other side and walked into the 2 ft. bucket on the back of it. Had to sit still for a while before I could stagger to the house. Snow stayed where it was till the next day.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,154 Posts
Catavenger will become famous soon enoughCatavenger will become famous soon enough

Play it safe get it checked out concussions can be real bad. I know.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Wait for it.

Cowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
I was bending some metal the old fashioned way, hammer and vise, and placed the metal in the vise so that the strike pressure was straight up, and didn't tighten the vise as tightly as I should. Used a six lb 'smith' hammer to hit the end and predictably, the steel came out of the vise and tapped me on the side of the head just above and back of the right eye socket.
Bled a little, but other than that was okay yesterday. stayed up until nearly midnight and had no problems other than sore at impact point. Woke up this A.M. later than usual with a head ache and jumpy stomach, and my vision is slightly off. Oh well, I knew better, but took a shortcut and it cost me.
Damn sorry to here Lobo, hope it wasn't to serious and your getting back to normal.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Thx CB. Yeah, my head is clear this AM and only a very slight 'distortion' in my vision. No more dizziness and my stomach is trying to rebel either. Got lucky really, another inch or two further back and it would have been truly serious as that would have been in the temple area.