• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Opening Doors

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
lilnixon's thread on "lunch with dad" got me to thinking about "When do you intercede in public, whether instigated or not?"

One of my biggest faults is bluntly reminding men/boys (accompanied by ladies/girls) in public that they should be opening the door for their female partner. I've witnessed it sooooooooooo many times, the girl yanking the door open for dipchit and/or the guy walks in and will let the door start closing on his partner (that one really pisses me off).

I've seen every reaction after politely reminding them the errors of their way. 90% of the time the female will give me a smile and say thanks. The men always, no matter how they respond, give me a guilty look and then say "yeah your right", "sorry" or just ignore me. No matter 'I always get my point across".

BTW ...... My sons know "the look" from Dad if they are a little slow in their attentiveness when we go out together. They also have realized the benefits of being polite in everyday life.

What's yours, say here!

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
From a womens point of view----Thank you. It seems like politeness has become a lost art. Anymore I am caught off guard when a man opens the door for me.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
well i guess that would depend on the woman. my advice is if you like the woman then before she sits.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tend to open doors for strangers, usually women but often older folks too. Its sometimes funny to see the surprise on their faces when someone simply shows common courtesy (or is it now uncommon courtesy?)

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I tend to open doors for strangers, usually women but often older folks too. Its sometimes funny to see the surprise on their faces when someone simply shows common courtesy (or is it now uncommon courtesy?)

It is not uncommon in this small town. However, it seems to be less common in the larger cities. It was virtually nonexistent in Phoenix the last time I was there.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
It is not uncommon in this small town. However, it seems to be less common in the larger cities. It was virtually nonexistent in Phoenix the last time I was there.

I will second that. People are often shocked when I hold doors for people. I do it for anyone. Parents with kids or strollers especially. The sad thing is that it shocks them because of my age I think. I am only 30 and most people in my generation don't give a chit about anyone but themselves. Last fall I had some time to kill after work and saw an old lady push mowing her overgrown yard. It was pretty muggy out and she was in NO condition to be doing it. I drove around the block and proceeded to take the mower away. I did not know the woman, but had seen her around town. I finished up the job while she supervised from the porch then put the mower back in the shed. My great grandmother would have rolled over in her grave had I not done that. Just the way I was raised. My little sis on the other hand would have never looked twice. I spent way more time and was much more influenced by ggma that she ever was though. It just seems sad though that I seem to be the odd one for doing the right thing. I guess that says a lot about society today.

Side note to that... When I got back from Houston a few weeks ago I was saddened to hear that the old lady had passed away. Was not too shocking really but it was sad because she did not really have any friends and had been gone for several days before someone found her.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I think it is a courteous act to hold the door weather you are a man or woman. There are some guys out there that will walk in and keep going while the door shuts on me, and I think "jerk". I wouldn't let the door shut on anyone behind me. When a man opens the door for me I always make eye contact to say thankyou. (it's a southern thing)