• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm a Kristi, not a coma patient!

luvthemvws

The M-B-P is looking good! I love the video of it underway!
I wouldn't sweat the valve adjustment just yet. With a fresh valve job there is a certain amount of "wearing-in" due to the slight difference between valve and seat angles. Although if it doesn't stabilize soon and continues to tighten up it could be a sign of bigger issues.
Rock on.

KT3survivor

The M-B-P is looking good! I love the video of it underway!
I wouldn't sweat the valve adjustment just yet. With a fresh valve job there is a certain amount of "wearing-in" due to the slight difference between valve and seat angles. Although if it doesn't stabilize soon and continues to tighten up it could be a sign of bigger issues.
Rock on.

good point. another thing to point out on the valve adjustment was I had to switch pushrods after the fuel tank issue. obviously i did an adjustment then but lifters and pushrods wearing in together, plus that was the first time the engine carried a load so its still breaking in. I am happy to report my fuel tank/system smells like fresh gas. no more varnish

i was going to do some wiring this morning but its been snowing all day so I stayed inside and worked on the exhaust flaps.

:snow2_smi

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a brand new 6 volt bosch starter if you have been running 12 volts through it don't even think about rebuilding it

KT3survivor

I have a brand new 6 volt bosch starter if you have been running 12 volts through it don't even think about rebuilding it

do they kill themselves? mine is a 6v, still cranks but its so sloppy it climbs off the flywheel teeth even with the new starter bushing.

Sno-Surfer

do they kill themselves? mine is a 6v, still cranks but its so sloppy it climbs off the flywheel teeth even with the new starter bushing.

You need to make sure your starter and flywheel gears match up. There is a 6 volt and a 12 volt flywheel and 6 and 12 volt starter gears. They have a different number of teeth. Mine was mismatched but worked for three years before revealing the issue. Count your flywheel teeth and that will tell you what starter gear you need to have on the starter.

KT3survivor

I remember my flywheel being 6v when I bought a clutch for it. . . but I have not confirmed what starter I have now that you mention it. I just know its old so I assumed 6v. has a sticker on it that says manufactured by Robert Bosch lol.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if you have the 180 mm clutch you will have a 6 volt starter you can make a 12 volt model work for a short time by trying to swap around bendixes but it will fail just buy a 6 volt starter and run it. once you run 12 volts through it they start slinging soldier a new starter will how ever last quite a while its been 3 to 4 years since I put in my last starter and its still going strong

vintagebike

Or Amazon has a 12 volt VW starter for the 6 volt flywheel from HiTorque and AA performance. I used one of these on my Firmula Vee race car with good success. Plus the head is adjustable for Snow Trac clearance. I will use this on my 58 ST4 to Porsche 1600s conversion.

Sno-Surfer

Or Amazon has a 12 volt VW starter for the 6 volt flywheel from HiTorque and AA performance. I used one of these on my Firmula Vee race car with good success. Plus the head is adjustable for Snow Trac clearance. I will use this on my 58 ST4 to Porsche 1600s conversion.

That's right and what I used for my st4. You can order it with e 6 volt or 12 volt gear on a 12 volt starter. The adjustable mounting plate is a big improvement for these snow tracs and makes installation much easier and no need for the piece of angle iron and cutting off one ear to mount a regular starter.

KT3survivor

thats pretty cool someone finally makes a 12v starter for the smaller flywheel. when i need one i'll probably go that route.

i did get out and do some work in the freezing cold today. doesnt help my machine is in the shade all day but after getting all my lights working i pulled my starter. it is a 6v and i think my main problem is the flywheel teeth in those happy to stop spots. not the starter. i can tell its engaging all the way into the new bushing so its just occasionally grinding on the worn spots.

yesterday i modified then lubed up the exhaust flaps with high temp antisieze. kt3 owners feel free to chime in here but i believe the one on the right is the original?? based on old pics.

I moved the pinch bolt to the front because it was causing issues with the flap sticking open. works better than the newer one now. might try to find another one like it along with an original red glass tail light lense #LS305

KT3survivor

one more question for any lurking kt3 owners out there, how long is your wiper arm? mine was stolen years ago. its a bosch motor so maybe one from a beetle would be short enough?

KT3survivor

yesterday i pulled the wiper mechanism & motor, had to take it apart completely but I got it turning again. my friend gave me a wiper arm for a super beetle that I'll modify. drill out the end and shorten the arm about 3/4" or so. i will know once i have a blade and mock everything up how long.

KT3survivor

no shortening required. just run a 10" blade and a vw super beetle arm will fit perfect. my arm was broken off at some point so I had to pull the shaft and run a m6x.75 die over what was left of the splines. then i pinched the wiper arm between a couple jzc lock washers. its holding. i will need to clear any ice before running the wiper but thats just a good idea anyway.

once I replaced the switch and all the wiring it runs great! kinda like every other electrical component on this machine lol :yum:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Joking aside I'm, glad some one's finally driving their kristies. I have noticed yours doesn't seem to attract life size cardboard cut outs of the bay watch babes or manikins like some of the other krusties do

KT3survivor

the deeper i get into mine, the more i see why some have reliability issues. but like anything else, its mostly due to age, trail fixes and abuse along the way. over all its a solid mechanical platform that can be built up as reliable as any other snow machine with the right TLC. I will admit that all the jokes are a good motivator to get in the garage in order to get out of the garage. :mrgreen:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
never worked with Big Al I think he enjoyed all the banter. I suppose we could pick on Marco a bit he's working pretty hard to finish where Allen left off

PJL

I'm sure he'll be right back on it after the Seahawks win the Super Bowl.

KT3survivor

today I made a battery hold down

fixed more wiring, replaced the switch for the rear flasher

then used some leftover plywood to make a divider wall for storage under the rear facing seat.

previously unused space now holds and hides the tool box, track jack, spare guides & cleats, and a pair of snowshoes.

also added wire loom and cleaned up some ugly wiring.

KT3survivor

deffinitely a concern there. probably slip a section of heater hose over it. never had much luck with rubber coatings

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Driving towards the Colorado National Monument. I saw a red kt3 being pulled by a Ford and I raced to catch them thinking it was you KT3Survivor. It was not you so there are at least two of you around. I did manage to talk with the owners who were headed up to Glade Park to a cabin. They told me they had another one they were working on as well. FYI

KT3survivor

Driving towards the Colorado National Monument. I saw a red kt3 being pulled by a Ford and I raced to catch them thinking it was you KT3Survivor. It was not you so there are at least two of you around. I did manage to talk with the owners who were headed up to Glade Park to a cabin. They told me they had another one they were working on as well. FYI

thats awesome! a friend on the grm forum said he saw another one in a shop near redlands car wash. . . when i heard the location i thought he must be looking at a very prestine tucker 443 :wink: but now im thinking he saw what you saw. i must find these other western slope kristi's. years ago i heard legend of a KT3 half cab somewhere off of south 29rd. . . still looking for it

Last edited:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes there is at least two others..these guys were surprised that I even knew what it was!

KT3survivor

got the dome light working this morning. keeping with the build theme, new wires and a new switch got it going. :rolf2: suprised the bulb was still good

its been snowing here for almost 24 hrs. :snow2_smi im sure the mountains are getting dumped on. id like to get up on kebler pass and do a proper shakedown now that ive taken care of most issues. maybe next weekend if the parking brake cable for our tow rig shows up.

KT3survivor

all the recent posts about KT-3's with broken final drive chains, I decided it was time to change the oil in mine. too bad there wasn't anything to swap out. with my machine at full tilt i can access both fill/drain plugs on the high side with ease. pulled both plugs on the passenger and got nothing out till i added about 1/3 of a pint. then put in the drain plug and added the rest of one full pint of 90w. the drivers side had a slow small dribble before i added but still very low.
im betting they break from heat induced by lack of oil. think about how hot a chainsaw gets without bar oil. :furious: as old as they are i bet most seldome used machines are as low or lower than mine. check your final drives before going out again! as little as they hold it wouldnt take long to leak out of the old seals and gaskets.

KT3survivor

after filling the clamshell housings i decided to make a cold air intake. I've had this idea in my head for a few weeks, like the factory piece but with an air filter. made it out of some drop material and the air cleaner i already had. tomorrow I'll blast and paint it, then clamp the hose down.

RAM AIR!!! :punk: