• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It's About Flipping Time

loboloco

House panel charges Rangel with ethics misdeeds

AP​
Rep. Charlie Rangel answers questions from the media on Capitol Hill in Washington Thursday. More photos »

AP – Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., answers questions from the media on Capitol Hill in Washington Thursday, …

By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer Larry Margasak, Associated Press Writer – 35 mins ago
WASHINGTON – A House investigative committee on Thursday charged New York Rep. Charles Rangel with multiple ethics violations, dealing a serious blow to the former Ways and Means chairman and complicating Democrats' election-year outlook.
The House ethics committee won't reveal the specific charges until next Thursday in a public meeting. However, sources familiar with the allegations, who were not authorized to discuss them publicly, said the charges against the 40-year Democrat were related to:
_Rangel's use of official stationery to raise money for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at City College of New York.
_His use of four rent-subsidized apartment units in New York City. The city's rent stabilization program is supposed to apply to one's primary residence. One had been used as a campaign office, raising a separate question of whether the rent break was an improper gift.
_Rangel's failure to report income as required on his annual financial disclosure forms. The committee had investigated his failure to report income from the lawmaker's rental unit at the Punta Cana Yacht Club in the Dominican Republic. Rangel also belatedly disclosed hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment assets.
The charges by a four-member panel of the House ethics committee sends the case to a House trial. A separate panel of four Republicans and four Democrats will decide whether the violations can be proved by clear and convincing evidence.
Sanctions can range from a damaging committee report to censure by the House and even expulsion, a punishment reserved for only the most egregious violations.
The timing of the announcement ensures that a public airing of Rangel's ethical woes will stretch into the fall campaign, and Republicans are certain to make it an issue as they try to capture majority control of the House. Speaker Nancy Pelosi had once promised to "drain the swamp" of ethical misdeeds by lawmakers in arguing that Democrats should be in charge.
Rangel, who is tied for fourth in House seniority, told reporters that he believes the allegations have no substance and said, "I look forward to airing this thing."
"If you ask me how I feel about it, I feel extraordinarily good that my supporters over 40 years will be able to evaluate what they have come up with and I don't have any fear at all politically or personally what they come up with," he said.
In a written statement, Rangel said, "I am pleased that, at long last, sunshine will pierce the cloud of serious allegations that have been raised against me in the media."
Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said, "The action today would indicate that the independent, bipartisan ethics committee process is moving forward."
Republicans immediately seized on the case. House GOP leader John Boehner said the charges were "a sad reminder of Speaker Pelosi's most glaring broken promise: to drain the swamp in Washington."
Rangel led the tax-writing Ways and Means panel until he stepped aside last March after the ethics committee criticized him in a separate case — finding that he should have known corporate money was paying for his trips to two Caribbean conferences.
Officials said that in the current case, the committee and Rangel's attorney tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a settlement. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private discussions. A settlement would have required Rangel to agree that he violated ethics rules.
Rangel had hoped to regain his chairmanship, but the allegations make that virtually impossible this year.
He recently announced a bid for a 21st term, days before his 80th birthday. One of his Sept. 14 primary opponents is Adam Clayton Powell IV, son of the congressman whom Rangel defeated in 1970.
While the case will generate unfavorable headlines for Rangel, it may have little effect in his congressional district, New York's famed Harlem, where he has been a political leader for decades and is known by older constituents as a Korean War hero.
"He keeps ethics on Page 1 and Democrats, going into a tough election cycle, aren't eager to carry any liabilities beyond what they have," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist College poll.
"But I think it has less to do — barring any major undoing of his legislative career — with his seat," Miringoff said.
___
Associated Press writers Michael Gormley in Albany, N.Y. and Gerry Bodlander in Washington contributed to this report.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He is the greasiest bastard to try to pin charges on. This is not his first go round on ethics either. He must be running low on chips with his cronies for it to even have reached this point. You or I would be doing time long ago. Not slippery Charlie!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It's nothing more than a racist setup to smear a black lawmaker.:whistling::whistling:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a game of pin the tail on the donkey???

Democrat-Donkey-edited.jpg

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He was on CBS NY station this morning and his arrogance was unbelievable. He still thinks it is all a misunderstanding. Like forgetting to pay your taxes while screwing a Government program for subsidized housing is something joe average does all the time.:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
This is a case of another Teflon government crony.

This piece of sh!t will skate just like all the rest and the incredibly ignorant masses will re-elect him again and again as long as he wants to be there.

Only a total house cleaning of the entire government, elected officials and 'civilian' bureaucrats will cure this disease. That will never happen.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope Paladino gets the republican spot in NY's governor race. We direly need a change in Albany. A smart businessman who knows how to cut government back when times are tough. The rest of these clowns keep pandering to the city mobs who rely on taxes from the rest of us for their handouts.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
This is a case of another Teflon government crony.

This piece of sh!t will skate just like all the rest and the incredibly ignorant masses will re-elect him again and again as long as he wants to be there.

Only a total house cleaning of the entire government, elected officials and 'civilian' bureaucrats will cure this disease. That will never happen.

He won the primary. He will win re-election. I called it...

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
He is the greasiest bastard to try to pin charges on. This is not his first go round on ethics either. He must be running low on chips with his cronies for it to even have reached this point. You or I would be doing time long ago. Not slippery Charlie!

Lets face it. They are all crooks . They are turning the spotlight off them and willing to pretend they are being all Rightous in order to look better in the eyes of the people who voted them in . Just one crook turning on another to try and save their own ass .