• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Flagpoles

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want one, need to make a bigger statement than the house mounted one. School me folks ..........let me know what you have!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was hoping for some replies as well as I've been thinking of a new/bigger one myself.

What I do know.

I haven't heard really good reviews on most of the 2-piece versions.

My Dad has a nice 30' single piece aluminum. It slides into a 4 or 6" piece of PVC that's in the ground. One person can lift it out but it is top heavy so be careful when you take it out.

I have a 40 or 50' pole at my commercial property. It's bolted to a large concrete slab. It's a PITA if something like the rope or pulley breaks since you need a high-lift to get to the top.

I'll probably go with something like the 30' mentioned above.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had a big one. Honestly, did I just say that???? Never mind, you know what I mean.

I lost my wall mounted one in a storm earlier this year and haven't replaced it. I'll get round to doing that this month sometime. I've never had any urge for a larger flagpole. I honestly don't know where I'd put it. I will say that I used to enjoy one of my neighbor's flag when I drove home after dark and it was all lit up.

The other person near me who used to fly a flag unfortunately passed away but he raised and lowered his every day.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm considering a 25 or 30 foot one piece. Either would be just under 1K delivered prior to install. Installation hardware is included except for the concrete and sand. Wind speeds are a consideration. Here's the 25' Flagpole that is currently my first pick so far. Most flagpoles are tapered with heavy duty residentials ranging in 3-5" Butt size and wall .128 - .188 wall thickness (Aluminum)

Recently visited a buddy that is in the construction business. His Flagpole is a recycled street light which is 33" and 5" aluminum none tapered. Heavy duty thing for sure. I'm currently trying to find a source for an old street light!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I ordered a 20' telescoping flagpole last Thursday, with solar light kit for the top. After looking at the front of my house, the 25' model would have been too tall, and would look out of proportion on my city lot. My house-mounted flagpole just wasn't making it, as the flag was constantly getting wrapped around the cheap pole. This pole is 10ga, satin finish, and rated for 89 mph wind.

I originally wanted a one-piece pole, but everyone wanted $150 shipping, and there wasn't a stocking dealer within a reasonable drive of Cleveland. The telescoping model also gives me the ability to attach ham radio antennas and play radio from my front porch.

http://www.tele-pole.com/flagpoles/superior-2-flagpole/

Kane

I have a 30' telescoping pole out front, and as far as I'm concerned, "telescoping" is the only way to go. You would be surprised how quickly the winds can wear out even the best nylon flags, and the collapsing poles make it a snap to get to the top rigging. A breeze to install and they also make it easy to turn the flagpole into the most spectacular lit Christmas tree in December.

Get one.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 30' telescoping pole out front, and as far as I'm concerned, "telescoping" is the only way to go. You would be surprised how quickly the winds can wear out even the best nylon flags, and the collapsing poles make it a snap to get to the top rigging. A breeze to install and they also make it easy to turn the flagpole into the most spectacular lit Christmas tree in December.

Get one.
Me and Mrs JEV were discussing the flagpole Christmas tree last night on our evening walk. I'll be figuring out how many additional light strings I'll need very soon after it's installed .

thepooguy

talk to your local privatized highway contractors. they usually have used light poles....BIG ONES. I actually got24ft 8x8 wolmanized poles for 5 bucks each to build my pole barn with....they have cuts a couple inches in at about the 5ft mark so they break on auto impact but who cares. while there I did see light poles as well. conical tubing is VERY expensive but you may find a deal there as the state sometimes dates them for replacement

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a steel 25 ft one here that has been here since the 50's. It was a commercial sold one with a nice globe probably cast iron at the top of the pole. I have had to put new rope in it a time or two, and it was easy as I used the old rope to pull the new one through the upper pulley.

Regards, Kirk