• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Repair 101

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you have a used Snow Trac, Trac Master or Snow Master? Thats right, the ones made in Sweden with the modified VW Transaxel for steering and a VW flat 4, horrizontally opposed, air cooled engine.
Elsewhere in this Forum are the answers to just about any question you could have concerning an ST4. Some questions have been addressed 3,4 and 5 times. It's all right here. You'll have to do a bit of searching.

THE 3 MOST COMMON MISTAKES

#ONE: The previous owner took the Air Induction Horn off and threw it away!
BAD! VERY BAD!. If yours is gone, make a new one! Otherwise your engine will over heat, eventually "Suck-A-Valve", sieze up, and leave you stuck in some place that you don't want to walk out of! AND your "Triple-A" card won't work, they don't offer tow service for snow cats broke down on the side of MT. Rainier!

#TWO: The previous owner(now reffered to as "Idiot", and not the one from John Muir's book!) has taken off, and discarded some of the "Deflector Tin" from the engine compartment. This also results in overheating problems. BUSTED!, GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!, DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT 300$,PAY BIG FINE!!(Exception: If you live north of the Arctic circle, and only operate your machine when it is below about MINUS 10, NEVER HUNT IN IT, and operate on entirely FLAT Terraine you MIGHT GET BUY, but I wouldn't ride with you.)

#Three: The prebvious owner removed the Snow Thrower Flaps: BAD, VERY BAD!! Results in busted AXEL Housings!! Definately NOT GOOD!

NOW click that mouse, search around, read all those articles especially the one Mike, and Bob, and I wrote. It's all right there. About 100 years worth of accumulated Snow Trac Experience.
So instead of spending your time trying to fix the busted down track rig, you can spend your time out having fun playing in the snow.

snowbird

Great tips from experience. Such a forum post would be helpful for other brands, too, for example Bombardier. I suppose Boggie will maintain there aren't any common difficulties with used Bombardiers.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would have to definately agree with Boogie. Bombardier builds tough stuff. About the only part I've known to fail on one of their track machines was the differential, and someone else made that! There are probably in excess of 2 million people out there running one of their Rotax engines, almost all the makes of Commercial Aircraft have Bombardier parts on them, Air Bus, Boeing, Lockheed, McDonald Douglas,... vertually all of the worlds high speed trains are made by them, The Subways in NY, Chicago, Boston, Phily, the BART System, Mexico City's High Speed Rail, the Chunnel Train,.. and they build Trucks, APC's, fighter jets and surface to air missles. Since they started out with track-rigs, and were one of the pioneers, they have had ample oppertunity to attain a degree of perfection.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
So you have a used Snow Trac, Trac Master or Snow Master? Thats right, the ones made in Sweden with the modified VW Transaxel for steering and a VW flat 4, horrizontally opposed, air cooled engine.
Elsewhere in this Forum are the answers to just about any question you could have concerning an ST4. Some questions have been addressed 3,4 and 5 times. It's all right here. You'll have to do a bit of searching.

THE 3 MOST COMMON MISTAKES

#ONE: The previous owner took the Air Induction Horn off and threw it away!
BAD! VERY BAD!. If yours is gone, make a new one! Otherwise your engine will over heat, eventually "Suck-A-Valve", sieze up, and leave you stuck in some place that you don't want to walk out of! AND your "Triple-A" card won't work, they don't offer tow service for snow cats broke down on the side of MT. Rainier!

#TWO: The previous owner(now reffered to as "Idiot", and not the one from John Muir's book!) has taken off, and discarded some of the "Deflector Tin" from the engine compartment. This also results in overheating problems. BUSTED!, GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!, DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT 300$,PAY BIG FINE!!(Exception: If you live north of the Arctic circle, and only operate your machine when it is below about MINUS 10, NEVER HUNT IN IT, and operate on entirely FLAT Terraine you MIGHT GET BUY, but I wouldn't ride with you.)

#Three: The prebvious owner removed the Snow Thrower Flaps: BAD, VERY BAD!! Results in busted AXEL Housings!! Definately NOT GOOD!

NOW click that mouse, search around, read all those articles especially the one Mike, and Bob, and I wrote. It's all right there. About 100 years worth of accumulated Snow Trac Experience.
So instead of spending your time trying to fix the busted down track rig, you can spend your time out having fun playing in the snow.
what are you calling the snow thrower flaps are these the flaps over the top of the rear bogie assembly that mine is missing

hendog

Dumb question, how does that cause the shaft to break? Overheat? Too much friction? Mine did not come with them either. Was there a special bracket that held them in place?

Thanks ooh knowledgeable one!!

hendog

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Dumb question, how does that cause the shaft to break? Overheat? Too much friction? Mine did not come with them either. Was there a special bracket that held them in place?

Thanks ooh knowledgeable one!!

hendog
under certain contitions snow can build up in yur tracks and cause an over tightened track condition that will break your front axle housing miste of my running to this point has beeen during cold weather and the snow dosn't pack well so it hasn't caused me a problem but as spring comes around i will need to do something as the snow gets more water content.i can also see how the problem would be worse if you had the 3 band track

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
what are you calling the snow thrower flaps are these the flaps over the top of the rear bogie assembly that mine is missing

Here's a close up picture that may help .
Good luck
Al

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 448

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks i like the idea helps alot havn't had a problem yet except the day i drovethrough over flow the snow stays pretty dry up here in the cold but i will have to do some ting before spring when the stuff starts to get wet started to work on the inside today shot it down with rocker shultz today following with battle ship grey hope the soft compound helps to deaden some of the noise the grey should lighten up the interior so its not such a dungion next stop the seats