• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cold Weather Survival (vehicle survival kits)

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
:tiphat:Some very good advise that will help save your life should you be seperated from your vehicle! I served 15 yrs in the British Commando forces and did the Combat and survival instructors course run by 22 SAS and found myself in Norway in conditions ranging from -30 to - 57 including wind chill factor. These conditions test skills to the limit big time!;)

I've since been the senior instructor for a well know survival company in the UK teaching basic, intermediate, and advanced wilderness survival to those wishing to broaden there knowledge of this life saving skill which we should all posses if possible:smileywac

Always pack the correct equipment for your journey and leave a spare survival kit in the vehicle which should never be touched in any circumstance other than to change the out of date itams like food and medical etc. There should always be food, fire lighting implements, Signaling devices, first aid kit, sleeping bag, some form of light weight shelter. This list is the bear minimum and should be in a water proof strong bag, boxes take up more room due to being rigid.

I could brake down the 4 main basic elements of survival (Fire, water, shelter and food) and talk about each one subject in great detail but time and space is not on my side. But i will answer any questions any one may have on the subject if required:pat:

Make sure you carry the right itams for the right reasons and you absolutely know how to use them in the environment you find yourself in. There is no point in trying to use a stove/Cooker that your not 100% sure how to use high in the snow line in - temperatures with froozen wet hands.............and the story goes on. To help yourself, plan the route and leave a route card with a family/friend, police,etc stating your duration and intentions and that you will personnel collect your route card from them when your back safely or you will ring them to let them know you are off the hill/mountain etc.

Think about it....your Snow trac has rolled over and you are the only person in a fit state to do anything, you salvage what you can from the vehicle because you smell petrol but cant disconnect the battery! You assess the injured and put them in a safe place, your first aid kit is limited along with your Trauma skills, your phone cant get a signal or the battery has gone dead due to the cold temperatures! You cant (Should not)go far from the vehicle due to your team mate having a broken left femar and is going into shock! you put him/her into the sleeping back, make a shelter, try to make a fire (Warmth, moral, Signaling etc),snow=water= Warm sweet drinks along with high calorific food (MRE's).....and the story goes on and could do for some days!!.....unless you give some one your route card so when you dont make contact on the said days or on the day you intend to finish a search party can be scrabled to find you.

The search party will trace your route that you have said you will be taking from start to finish until they come across you and your injured party (Who is hopefully is still alive!). You can do lots to help the Helpers help you, but thats another subject so i will end here before you all fall asleep:eek:

Just plan before you go out and find yourself useing your survival kit for real!! There is an old saying in the Commando's known as the 7 P's, which stands for Prior planning and preparation, prevents piss poor performance.:thumb:
So until next time take care and remember the 7 P's.

:beer: Tommo

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well here we are again getting ready for winter. This morning was pretty "Cool" outside so winter is about a month away for us. I will be digging out my snowcat survival gear from storage. I need to check everything out and see what needs to be replaced. I also have been toying around with getting one of these now for about a year and will make the plunge as soon as possible.

http://www.breitling.com/en/

Attachments

• Picture 32.png
    Picture 32.png
    291 KB · Views: 281
  • Picture 33.png
    Picture 33.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Picture 34.png
    Picture 34.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 35.png
    Picture 35.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 277

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowops, Im sure these are nice but. but dont you think you are better of with the basics. being a seasoned winter survior. with the right sleeping bag
and the basics for survival. ( we have been running the Wiggys brand artic bag for a number of years )and have stayed very cozy at minus 40 on one trip we encountered minus 60 for several days and stayed very comfortable. I typically use to get cold at these temps in the Wiggys bag with a overbag we have stayed out for extended trips with nothing more than bag,overbag,closed cell foam. and MRE's Does this unit have built in GPS?
then maybe I could justify.... I would rather have . Shelter,water,Ideal conditions,fire,food,Time to react. in that order. SWIFFT

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Ive got all those goodies covered. Now I'm just playing! Besides its a cool "Gadget" that can actually save your butt. I am not familiar with the Wiggys bag though. Have any pictures? The bags I currently use are rated for -40 F plus all the wool blankets and ground pads we have. I nice snow cave and some bows will keep us off the snow and a "cold well" will keep the coldest temps off of us. BUT I am still interested in the Wiggys bag.

No it does not have a built in GPS. It broadcasts on the 121.5 frequency. This is monitored by aircraft and satelites.

Besides I do have all the Basics covered. Am I missing something you use? If so please post up! (Wiggys bag is one item I would like to see!) What other gear do you carry that I dont? I'm not sure since this is an old post but I believe this shows what I have in my snowcat. Will check after I post this.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yup this has just about everything we carry. Not including recovery gear. Some of the stuff has been upgraded or replaced due to expiration dates coming up fast ect ect.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here it is. They have some really good prices as well.

Antarctic Sleeping Bag

Product #: 6.3.1

A -60 degree bag. I believe the Antarctic model is the only -60 degree bag made in the world. The loft averages 10 inches, and the weight for a regular length, wide body model is 6.5 pounds. The long wide body weighs 7 pounds. Add $144.00 for the Flexible Temperature Range Sleep System (FTRSS).

Our Price: $350.00

The second bag pictured (orange) is pretty cool as well. This could come in handy when pulling out stuck Kristis and there owners.

Victims Casualty Hypothermia Bag

Product #: 6.8.1

The VCH bag is a development by myself and several search and rescue professionals who gave me almost all of the recommendations that have gone into the making of this product. Their advice has made the VCH a user-friendly product. The interior and exterior fabric are waterproof. The bottom is 1000-denier cordora and the lining and top are 200 denier oxford nylon. Color is black on the bottom and lining. The top is international orange. The top half of the bag separates completely from the bottom half to easily place a victim. The zippers can be opened from either end and either side depending where it is necessary to provide service to the victim. There is a zipper in the middle to expose only a portion of either leg, if that is all that is required. Completely launderable. It weighs approximately 8 pounds and fits in a compression stuff sack that is 11" x 23".

Attachments

• Picture 36.png
    Picture 36.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Picture 37.png
    Picture 37.png
    32 KB · Views: 286

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I just stopped at the Wiggys factory in Grand Junction, CO. They DO have a small retail store in the front office! 40% off Internet price for walk-ins!

Antarctic bag - $210 +$99 w/ FTRSS
Hypothermia bag - $285 (no change from Internet price)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BOB the phone just died as you know. Anyway when I hook up with you later this month lets drop in and see what they got! Maybe I will meet you there next week. Right before you head south. Next HUGE Storm will be hitting that area in 9 days or so.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just stopped at the Wiggys factory in Grand Junction, CO. They DO have a small retail store in the front office! 40% off Internet price for walk-ins!

Antarctic bag - $210 +$99 w/ FTRSS
Hypothermia bag - $285 (no change from Internet price)

We have been very pleased with these bags for a numbers of years we have several :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
In addition to all the neat survival gear that you guys have, it might be good to include some Toilet paper so you are covered when :shitHitFan: .....

Also, I carry a .44 mag, even in the Alaskan winter we have moose that can be an issue and sometimes the bears don't stay in bed like they are suppose to. A .22 rifle or shotgun is good for rabbits and birds should you need food for longer times out if things get stretched out a bit longer.

A Chain saw and extra gas works for making a fire and water proof matches to get things off to a good hot start. When you are cold and shaking, it is really hard to make a "Boyscout" fire with twigs.... A big pile of wood and a little gas really starts the party quickly...

Cheap road flares are good for signals, but they start fires very easly also when you are shaking so bad you can't use matches.

A coffee can with a roll of toilet paper in it and a bottle of rubbing alcohol makes for a good emergency source of quick heat too. Put the roll in the can, place it on something non flamible and pour the alcohol on it and light, it will burn for quite a while and allow you to get some needed heat (UM... you might not use the toilet paper listed for the first reason, so bring two rolls...:yum: )

A pan for melting snow or melting the bottled water you brought that froze...

Couple of cheap blue tarps are great for wind breaks and emergency shelters. You can even roll up in them and flip snow up over you in extreme cold and that will help insulate you and keep you dry.

In sub zero temp's, the "Self heating" military rations don't always get warm enough to "Cook", so getting a fire going and using freeze dried foods that you can add boiling water to is better.

Having some candy and trail bars is good for quick energy too.

Anyway, that is some of the stuff that I felt might be helpfull since we are doing that all winter and summer in both the track rigs, fourwheelers and airplanes.... but first of all, tell someone where and when you are going and coming back...:thumb:

This is a couple of pictures of my camp at the lake at about -40F before the cabin was built... a bit drafty, but better than rolling up in a tarp in the snow... It is located about 40 miles Southwest of Nenana, and just North of Mt. McKinley Park.

Attachments

• Base camp, sign reads, Mark's Mountain House.jpg
    Base camp, sign reads, Mark's Mountain House.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 263
  • Sunday morning with Don Barrett standing by the lumber pile at Totek.jpg
    Sunday morning with Don Barrett standing by the lumber pile at Totek.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 260

Briarpatch

I have a little experience with cold weather survival and having the right equipment. I have attached a news story from Laramie 2 years ago when we were up snowmobiling. On snow machines you are very limited on the type and amount of equipment. I can speak also about the snow shovel, as I had a life link unit which worked great. It did get cracked during the incident and they replaced it free of charge. Any way I spent 14 hours in a snow cave at 11,200 feet in 70 mph winds. The RMK 700 was stuck in a neary by snow ditch. I sure was wishing that I had my tucker that night. I watched the snow cats searching for me most of the night, but they never got closer enough to walk out. At about 2:00 am on new years day a cat got closer enough for me to get out of the cave and get a ride back to town.

It was at the end of May before I could go back and get several things out of the cave that I had left behind.

The two items that I have bought since then is a rescue laser flare that operates on batteries and has a range of 20 miles. Also a storm lighter.

My worst fear was getting hypothermia. That year was the worst I had seen in riding the snowy range in 25 years. I have attached the news release.

Attachments

• Laramie Boomerang.doc
    28 KB · Views: 178

Briarpatch

Here are a few items that I carry from experience of not having them.

Laser Flare, Storm Lighter and small Led Flashlights that only weigh ounces and uses a 9 voly battery they use an LED light. I have attached a picture of the items. Also some pictures digging out the snow cave where I survived for 14 hours. The snow was still deep at the end of May. I was trying to recover some items that were left behind

Briarpatch

Attachments

• 100_0953.jpg
    100_0953.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_0644_2.jpg
    100_0644_2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 100_0643_2.jpg
    100_0643_2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_0638_2.jpg
    100_0638_2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 352

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We carry in our machines..............shovel, first aid kit, blankets, for food, I always pack enough to last at least 2 days when I head out. We always carry a sat phone, cell phone, have radio phones in the groomers. We carry a decent supply of tools as well as some common parts, fittings, hoses etc.... Also, we just started carrying a track repair kit last year after a couple of broken tracks on the trail.

For us, the biggest saftey thing is a way of communication to the outside world. We always have someone as a contact person who knows exactly where we are. Access is easy for us as we are always on groomed trails so it's easy to get in and rescue someone by snowmobile. A few years ago, the BR160 broke down about 40 miles from town.(can't remember exactly what broke but it was something in the drive system) The operator spent the night in the bush and we went out to rescue him in the morning. It wasn't bad though as the machine was still running so at least he had heat(and he had his wife with him to keep him warm)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OH the life! I just love what you guys come up with in Alkaska!

OK its been awhile since I used an alcohol heater. If I remember correctly you pour in the alcohol and then place the roll in. I dont remember a spacer at the bottom. Am I wrong on that? anyway then you light the toilet paper after its soaked up the alcohol. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. Just got back in from snowshoeing. What a blast! It sure got cold out tonight and a 15 MPH breeze didnt help the nose any. Gotta bring my face cover next time.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BRIARPATCH you should get the SPOT satelite tracking unit. With it you can call for emergency help. Also anyone you gave permission to could track you real time and see exactly where you are at. That sure would have come in handy that day! I now sell them for $129 plus shipping which is cheap. I have two that I and my new employee use. Also if you pay the $7.50 insurance for one year you get $100,000 in Search and Rescue fee coverage! Thats a huge deal! Also they will send a helicopter to your location weather permiting and if not then the local SAR ground teams.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BRIARPATCH,
Can you tell me more about that laser flare? That sounds like a good item to have if it does what I think it does.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
OH the life! I just love what you guys come up with in Alkaska!

OK its been awhile since I used an alcohol heater. If I remember correctly you pour in the alcohol and then place the roll in. I dont remember a spacer at the bottom. Am I wrong on that? anyway then you light the toilet paper after its soaked up the alcohol. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. Just got back in from snowshoeing. What a blast! It sure got cold out tonight and a 15 MPH breeze didnt help the nose any. Gotta bring my face cover next time.

The toilet paper acts like a wick, you pour the alcohol over the roll after it is in the can. The bottom of the can will get hot over time so you don't want it to be sitting on something that will burn later on.... If you are in a cab, you want to crack the window open for ventilation, same as in a tent.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
BRIARPATCH,
Can you tell me more about that laser flare? That sounds like a good item to have if it does what I think it does.

There is a lot of them up here in Alaska now, lots of the pilots are putting the laser flare into the survival kits too.

Make sure you put in the lithum batteries, the cold doesn't affect them and they last a long time even in storage. Bit expensive, but really worth the extra cost... When I carry my GPS, I use them and the unit works great in an outside pocket, even at -40 F or C for that matter....the same temp....

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK got it. I thought you ment to keep the toilet paper off the bottom of the can. We did use one in the cab once and we had ventalation. It actually put off a fair amount of heat. dont remember what it was siting on.

kgracey

In case others find it useful, here's my standard snowmobile kit that I carry:

Each snowmobile carries the following:
=======================
(2) hand warmers
(2) lightsticks
(2) spark plugs
(1) belt
(1) toolkit
(1) emergency blanket
(1) LED flashlight
(2) boxes of matches
(2) firesticks
(1) Ortovox avalanche transceiver
(1) tow rope
(1) water
(1) carabiner
(1) 5W handheld radio
(1) cell phone
(1) GPS Receiver
(1) Shovel
(1) Avalanche probe
(1) Emergency candle
(1) spare bulb

Emergency kit contents:
=======================
Benadryl
Neosporin
Anti-itch cream
Bottle Aspirin
Bottle Tylenol
Sunblock

Wound Kit / First Aid
Qtips
4" Ace bandage
Waterproof tape
Band-aids assorted
Gauze pad 3" x 3"
Gauze pad 4" x 4"
Sterile adhesive bandage 4" x 4"
Butterfly closures
Moist towelettes
Tweezers
Hand sanitizer lotion
Emergency guide book

Snowmobile guide map
USGS Topo Map
Bivvy sack
(3) Carabiners

Briarpatch

SnoOps the laser flare uses a wide line. The further the distance the wider the line. It has a range at night 20-30 miles and 3 miles in the daytime. Go to the website to see how it works. Greatland rescue lasers. I think they are made in Alaska.

Briapatch

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
YAh I was trying to figure out why you spaced the toilet paper off the bottom of the can. BUT actually it would prun like a big candle if it was soaked. Ive been thinking about putting a couple of kits together but my favorite brand of coffee now comes either in PLASTIC coffee cans. Guess I need to find a new source of cans or change brands of coffee:pat: .:yum: :snow2_smi:

socal4t12

watch out.....there was a thread in here somewhere about a military surplus place in reno nv. i went there on my last trip through. watch out if you plan on buying anything online. alot of the ammo cans were very rusted and looked like they had battery acid corrosion in them. i think i got the last 3 good .50 cal and 20mm boxes they had. some even had different color lids from the boxes.

but if your looking for a good time, have a few beers, go there and enjoy the junk they have. everything and anything is there, but all of it has been subjected to the winters of reno nv.

mattfidaho

I know I am digging up an old thread, BUT i would be interested in where (pictures maybe) everyone stores there gear...

I have been thinking about using some of the "dry bags" and putting some stuff out side the cat... right now I have about every spare nook filled inside the cat. under seats ect. Just looking for more ideas on how everyone else does it..

Very good info... and I would also Like to add steel wool and 9v battery to the list of ways to start a fire...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I am digging up an old thread, BUT i would be interested in where (pictures maybe) everyone stores there gear...
Well I store mine in various places. I have a tool bag, that has stuff jammed in it, that holds some of it. I also have a couple hidden compartments in the sides of the cargo area (I drive a SUV) and those are jammed full of various gear. Then there is the storage area in the armrest, knives, flashlights, spare loaded 45acp & 9mm magazines, medicines, etc. Extra clothes are carried in bags, changed seasonally. Shovel is bungeed into place against the rear seat back.

BTW, the one thing I find I use most often is the tow strap. Seems like I pull a couple people out of ditches every winter.

As for my Snow Trac, I carry stuff in a duffle and a 5 gallon bucket.

mattfidaho

ok good info, I just seam to run out of room inside when I have to take 3-4 passengers up to there tower site. :( so I have started using the out side tool box more, and then making any of there gear go on the other open racks.

Not a really good pic, but this is kind of what I mean...
BlackMt046.jpg

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Great posting and it would make for a great conversation around the BBQ pit during the Snow Cat Jamboree in Leavenworth WA hint hint come on out Jan 22~25th 2015

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
This has been a great bump and I'm not even a snowcatter. I must have missed it first time around and it's interesting to see how things have progressed, or not, in the past 8 years since this thread started or the 40 years since I took my first winter survival course for hiking in the Scottish Highlands.

Great read!!!!