• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Early (?) Trackmaster for sale on Ebay

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This appears to be an early version of the University of Utah Trackmasters. I've seen them in several configurations, but never one quite like this. It looks like it is of an earlier design than many I've seen. We have a member (faustender) who is also selling a U of U Trackmaster, his is the purple one listed for sale on our Forums, it appears that his is newer and a bit more evolved than this one. Here is a link to faustender's thread offering his unit for sale: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=5065

But this is sure interesting looking!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Sno-Cat-Snowcat-Snowmobile-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6736QQihZ002QQitemZ120041110091QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting
s.gif

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Vehicle Description [/FONT]
Custom Sno Cat
This Custom Sno Cat was built in the late 50’s to early 60’s by the Utah Scientific Research Foundation in affiliation with the Utah State Agricultural College. I have included many detailed pictures but if there is something I missed please email me and I can try to get a picture added. This unit features a well maintained flat head Ford with four speed trany with reverse. And runs very well with top speeds approaching 40+. It is a true Joy to drive and gets lots of looks on those snowed in days. With room for four, the possibilities are endless. Buying New Unit so we are selling our old ones to make room. This unit is being sold AS IS and is offered locally so we have the right to end the auction early if sold.To qualified buyers this item is available for local inspection and test drive in Sewell, New Jersey up to and including day of auction. NO WARRANTY! Thank you for looking, check out our other auction.
Thank You and have a blessed day.

Attachments

• 10_3.JPG
    10_3.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 264
  • ff_3.JPG
    ff_3.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 252
  • f0_3.JPG
    f0_3.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 253

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:letitsnow:

The same seller also has a Thiokol 2100-B trail groomer for sale that appears to be in very nice condition. I don't ever post that type of equipment because 98% of our snowcat members are personal users and grooming equipment is not really of much interest to most. That is also why I don't post much of the Bombardier, Piston Bully, etc equipment. But the old snowcats like this one are sure a blast to play with!:cool2:

Attachments

• ae_3.JPG
    ae_3.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 251
  • c3_3.JPG
    c3_3.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 251
  • d3_3.JPG
    d3_3.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 248

jzue1

Hey all, do you think this is a nice machine? Will it go 40+ MPH? I'm in the market to buy a older one to fix up. New to these type...been running a argo for last couple of years. Looking for something that will seat up to 6, good in all types of snow conditions and something that I can experiment on...I love diesels and would like to do a engine swap. I love the looks of the Tucker's. But I've read on some of the posts that they are slow and very loud...especially with the steel tracks. Again, I'm a newbie and would really like input from all. Thanks
Jeff

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very few snow machines will go over 20 to 25mph. I doubt this would top those speeds. As I really know nothing about it, including its origin, I'm not sure what sort of drive system is in this thing and not sure how reliable it is, I would hesitate to recommend something that is as rare as this seems to be. Heck I don't even know if it is a Trackmaster.

For a snowcat that seats 6 to 7 people it is pretty hard to beat the Aktiv Snow Trac ST4. They are typically pretty reasonably priced, they are generally restorable because parts are not terribly hard to find and because they are very simple machines to begin with.

A Thiokol Spryte with a passenger cabin or a Thiokol Imp with a passenger cabin would also be pretty good choices. There are several different techincal issues to look out for with the older Thiokol units, and guys here can tell you the difference (but I'm not one of those guys!).

I don't think you can really go wrong with a classic Tucker Sno-Cat either.

Every brand has its quirks. Every brand has its weakpoints and its strongpoints. But many of the more common older units that are still around share one common trait . . . if they are still running then they probably were very good to begin with! Of the 2000 Snow Tracs that were made it is estimated that at least 1500 are still running. Tucker 300 to 900 series Sno-Cats are also very common (with 300 and 400 series being the easiest to find). Thiokol/DMC/LMC have several good models and I previously mentioned the Imp and Spryte. They went under a couple numerical names as well, but I'll leave it to the Thiokol experts here to steer you to the more reliable models.

jzue1

I like the looks of the Spryte... they look roomy and can carry alot. What is the maintenance like? I read that they have small engines, is there room to maybe do a engine swap with a V-8? Also, with the engine sitting right next to you...Are they loud? Thanks,
Jeff
P.S. Sorry for asking so many question...Just trying to get all info I can. Excellant site.