• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sw48da help with year ID .

crankycrow

Hello i have a chance to buy a sw48da with a perkins diesel and a 4 way blade and auto trans . this machine has new tracks and the sprockets and solid wheels. the engine and undercarriage and lower body look surprisingly good the cab has some rust issues but not real bad . there is 2200 hrs . can anyone give me an est of the year this maybe and if you think it is worth 6500 . can $
thanks for any help .

Attachments

• SW48.jpg
    SW48.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 165
  • SW481.jpg
    SW481.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 164

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess a late 80's machine, if your have the serial it should be the 4 and 5 digit is the year. If the differential is good it would be worth 6500 cnd.
The ring and pinions are almost 3000 from the factory now
Good luck

crankycrow

I would guess a late 80's machine, if your have the serial it should be the 4 and 5 digit is the year. If the differential is good it would be worth 6500 cnd.
The ring and pinions are almost 3000 from the factory now
Good luck

thanks for the reply the owner thought it was a 97 but i was thinking more like an 87 by the body style . as for the differential it seems good as it seems to work good is that the weak point of these machines ? .

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for the reply the owner thought it was a 97 but i was thinking more like an 87 by the body style . as for the differential it seems good as it seems to work good is that the weak point of these machines ? .

Check the serial to know for sure on the date.
Differentials are tough if cared for properly. The correct fluid, not ATF like bombardier recommended for years, a good 30 weight cat T04, amsoil power shift or the like. And keep the water out of the differential drain at least once or more per year. I have found gallons of water in some from accumulation. If stored in the cold it will freeze around the ring gear and when you go to move it
Can ruin the pinion and does no favors to the rest of the parts and bearings

crankycrow

Check the serial to know for sure on the date.
Differentials are tough if cared for properly. The correct fluid, not ATF like bombardier recommended for years, a good 30 weight cat T04, amsoil power shift or the like. And keep the water out of the differential drain at least once or more per year. I have found gallons of water in some from accumulation. If stored in the cold it will freeze around the ring gear and when you go to move it
Can ruin the pinion and does no favors to the rest of the parts and bearings

i could not find a serial num on the machine anywhere but i did find one on the engine ld33618u504180w . so the w would stand for 1992 . and i did find another service sticker from 1998 with 886hrs and 2200 miles . as of now it has 2200 hrs and 6000 miles . so this would put this machine in the 1992 or 93 era .your thoughts . thanks .