• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cold Weather Survival (vehicle survival kits)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well since I see we are getting a larger snowcat crowd I thought I might add a post on Cold Weather Survival. I have been driving Snowcats now for about 5 years. I have taken the "Safety One" Snowcat school and winter survival course. Does this make me an expert? NO. But I do work in this enviroment and have a better understanding than most people on how to survive in case something very wrong happens. Over the next few weeks as time permits I will be posting what I personally carry in my own survival kits when I venture out. Some kits are vehicle based others are portable. I would like to stress that a good survival course such as offered by Saftey One should be on anyones list if they work or play in these hostile enviroments. Below is a link to Saftey One.

http://www.safetyoneinc.com/sotc.html

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Cold Weather Survival (survival kits)

While I rarely tavel to remote areas, I would be interested in your thoughts. In college I took a cold weather survival course where we went out in the woods with minimal food and gear for the weekends, trips were always scheduled based on weather (needed enough snow or we wouldn't go).

I want to put together 2 supply boxes for my Snow Trac. One with basic tools, tow straps, parts. The other with some survival/safety gear. While I am only looking for 'the basics' I'd like to know what is a 'critical' item versus what is simply a 'comfort' item.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Cold Weather Survival (survival kits)

Yes I agree. Critical versus comfort. Its funny to hear some stories by instructors from students who had to spend the cold night out in there stuck snowcat. They had there little alcohol stove and there space blankets taped inside the cab and were covered up in a wool blanket. BUT were still very cold. He told me I said you could survive I didnt say you would be all warm and comfy! But with that said you can always make a warm and comfortable shelter (up to a point).

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The container(s) that your survival gear is stored in can sometimes be as important as the gear itself. If the gear is not protected from wear and tear or the environment will it be any good? We have in our other snowcat from my old job a survival kit that never leaves the same location it was placed. So wear and tear is kept down from your typical personal Survival kit, which gets transferred from one vehicle to another. The following pictures are from some new kits I am making for my own Snowcat (SnowMaster).
(Pics to large, will try again later)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the file size your trying to upload snowcat? I modified some of the file types, jpg for example is now 200000, but it has a max width limit of 700 pixels.
If you cannot resize it you can send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.
email address = doc@forumsforums.com

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This container is a water resistant bag. I chose red for visibility reasons. I simply added 8 Mres. (Meals Ready to Eat) since that is as many as this bag will contain. This will keep three adults nourished for 3 days easy. Each MRE has the nutritional value for one person per day. (should be 9 mres but with my personal survival back pack kit I have 2 mres in it plus beef jerky ect.) The kits are not placed in any order. Also you will see there is a water proof tag that shows the contents of each bag. This keeps from searching threw different bags to find one item. (all bags look alike except size)

Attachments

• snowcat ops4.jpg
    snowcat ops4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 678
  • snocat ops31.jpg
    snocat ops31.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 674

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They look pretty heavy duty. They also remind me of my ole duffle bag I had while in the Navy. Ofcourse those were not even close to being waterproof.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
These bags are made of a very heavy duty rubberized canvas. Like the pontoons on a Zodiac. The bags can also be used when empty for things like seat cushions, pillows. bedding ect. Anything to keep you off the snow or ground will help keep you warm. You can even fill one with snow and hang it by the fire and have water. Ect ect.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Since my buisness is to carry crews to remote sites (usually on top of mountains) my survival gear will be of a larger size than most. If you have a Snowcat and have family and friends ride along with you then I would advise you also carry a larger inventory as well. For cars and trucks just down size to what you feel is comfortable. We carry all year long wool blankets, space blankets, real duct tape, mre's and water (if summer). Very simple kit for the cars. These are just more elaborite and for a much longer period of time in the back country. Usually if you can survive for 72 hours then someone will be able to get to you by then. (Thats if they know you are missing and have a good idea where you are). Communication is your best bet for survival.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting stuff. I had no idea that was your business. Makes it even more interesting. So, what mountain range are you climbing to the top of?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you carry any of the compact protable propane heaters, stoves, etc? What about chemical hand warmers?

How about repair tools, or more specifically what tools and spare parts do you carry?

First aid kits, again more specifically what is in the kits?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Bob,
Just starting with the kits. This will be a long post for sure. Yes I carry all of the above. I will list each piece as I repack and replace it and get it ready for my trip to Canada. I do this once a year anyway and usually before winter hits. Do to all me knee surgeries I have had I am getting a late start this year. But then again winter got a real late start.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
These next set of photos are of my personal survival kit. With the exeption of the red bag and white metal box with fire starting kit. All the other gear fits in my back pack. This is about half of my personal gear. I am still waiting for my new stuff to arrive via UPS. Believe it or not all this stuff fits into my back pack and fills it only half way. Including snow shuvel. That breaks down into three pieces and doubles as an emergency sled. The small tan bag next to the MREs is a small light wieght sleeping bag rated to 30 degrees. This is just an extra bag I keep in my pack. I have extreme cold weather sleeping bags in my big red bags.

Attachments

• snocat ops6.jpg
    snocat ops6.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 675
  • snocat ops7.jpg
    snocat ops7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 653
  • snocat ops8.jpg
    snocat ops8.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The tag is for another bag that is currently in my truck.

Attachments

• snocat ops9.jpg
    snocat ops9.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 656
  • snocat ops10.jpg
    snocat ops10.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 639
  • snocat ops11.jpg
    snocat ops11.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 656

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The knives saws and cordage are for building shelters ect. I also carry pictures of my family in one of my kits to help boost the survival instinct.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You mentioned a snow shovel that breaks down. I'm looking at one of these aluminum Life Link shovels, they have collapsable handles. Any experience with this brand or is there a brand you would recommend?

I'm also thinking that I may just strap a shovel onto the roof and that way I could get a solid shaft shovel.

Attachments

• 29_1.JPG
    29_1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 645

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, That looks alot like mine. Mine was made by a company named Voile and has a lifetime garuntee. It is extremley well built ans is not to heavy to pack. it opens up to about 4 feet and is the perfect size for digging out tracks ect. Also great for shelter building as well. The number for the company is (801) 973-8622. It is also made from 6000 series tempered aluminium.

I paid about $45.00 for it at REI.
Found the web site voile-usa.com

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
http://www.voile-usa.com/cgi-bin/plugins/MivaEmpresas/miva?plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=VEOS&Category_Code=VS

Check this link out. Mine is the T6 pro series. They also have a few made with snow saws in the handles and avalanche probes. The snow saw is a good idea. BUT not all snow is alike and makeing an igloo is almost impossible with the snow we get here in the states. Sometimes though I have seen the snow hold together very well for shelter building. But it really isnt needed since we have trees and such. Just another option is all.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the shovel with the tree saw blade inside the handle!!! But I would prefer a D handle to a T handle.

For $50 it seems like a good price too.

Attachments

• twood.jpg
    twood.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 346

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Is there a reason that you don't carry flares? They would be good for signaling overhead search and rescue planes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been giving this a lot of thought, and my needs are far different that the folks out in real remote regions. Here in the midwestern states, I doubt I would be out of CB radio or Cellphone range in most areas that I would travel, I can't imagine anyone being lost around here for multiple days but it is reasonable to assume a breakdown would yeild one very uncomfortable night and maybe a bit longer. So my plan is for a pack that will fit under the right side passenger seat and will be divided into a tool kit for repairs and a modest survival kit.

In the survival kit: 3 MREs, 6 granola/energy bars, Beef Jerky, first aid kit, 3 100% wool Swiss Army surplus blankets, 3 space blankets, 9 chemical hand warmers, 6 chemical light sticks, water proof matches, spark stick, 2 LED flashlights, fresh alkaline batteries each season, 2 hunting knives, folding saw, water, 3 flares. Duct tape. Toilet paper. Candles (remove humidity from the air and create some heat). The point is really to be comfortable and safe for a reasonably short period, hopefully inside the cabin. This is not much more than would be carried in my SUV in the winter but in this area I think it is sufficient.

In the tool kit, are basic tools. The Snow Trac is a very simple vehicle. Basic wrenches, screwdrivers, nut drivers, pliers are all that is really necessary to maintain these. A very sharp knife, like a carpet knife, would help with track repair. The 'variator belt' is probably the area of most concern, it controls the power to the tracks, an extra belt would be necessary in remote areas, I don't have on, I plan to get one. A fan belt. Some extra belting for the tracks would be excellent to carry, I'm planning on making a 24" run of track that could be cut into place as a repair. A good snow shovel, maybe 2 of them! 2 - 2"x30' tow straps.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a signaling kit which contains a flare gun (12 guage but soon 23mm) a East german 5 million candle power flare, 3 other flares, smoke signals (day use only) marking kits ect ect. I have ordered 3 parachute flares which last 5 times longer than just standard flares. Any good Orion kit that has its own container will work fine. The most important thing to remember is to only use it if you "KNOW" someone is looking for you. The general public is not very bright when it comes to emergency signals. Most 99% will ignore red flares ect ect. Case in point a pilot crashed on top of a mountain in Nevada I believe. He broke his legs and could not hike out. He could see a major highway below him. He shot off all off his flares and not one of the vehicles below called in to say anything. Only use them if you know someone is looking for you. In my case we have hourly contact. If that contact is broken then they know I'm in trouble and call in the calvary. Among other things for communication we carry satelite phones so we usually can get contact one way or another. I was planning on waiting until my other flares arrived and new flare gun but will post a pick of what I have now.

Attachments

• snowops13.jpg
    snowops13.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 343
  • snowops14.jpg
    snowops14.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 339
  • snowops15.jpg
    snowops15.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
bob I would carry 2-three foot sections pre drilled of course. I would even get a couple of spare grousers, bolts nuts and washers. Also get one of those shake up flash lights. They work great and since its a diode should last decades if not longer. I was a bit leary until I tried a few out. Now all of my kits have at least one in them. Its the same one in the cheesey commercials.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob the handle on my T6 Shuvel is a D handle. Also that saw in the other handle I believe is a snow saw. Which can help in building a snow shelter of some type depending on type of snow you are in.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Also that saw in the other handle I believe is a snow saw. Which can help in building a snow shelter of some type depending on type of snow you are in.

They offer 2 different types of saws. 1 is a snow saw, the other is a timber saw. The photo I posted above shows the wood cutting version. It sells for $50.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now that is cool. I will get one of those for the outside "Pioneer Kit". That and a light weight axe should round up the kit just fine.