• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snocat access

skidoomt

I am sure that public land access is different in each state, but I would enjoy hearing from members what their experience has been when operating an snocat on public lands. Was looking at buying an older tucker or imp, but was not sure where one could operate a machine like this.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You don't elude to where you are from......

I use my machines on Private land with permission.

Frozen lakes

Public snow mobile trails for *grooming*

National forest in areas that are loosely managed,

I have had conversations with WI DNR in regards to my operation in these venues and seem to get the consistent message to contact my local snowmobile club.

I have been contacted by sheriff departments as to availability for various efforts.

I have been trained by the local county sheriff for Snow Patrol purposes.

Using over the snow machines in WI winters has been a positive experience for me and my family leading to many new adventures, Stories, friends and adventures.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my experience has been good to bad on public land. depends on how you approach it and your location.
this question seems to come up every year.

skidoomt

One thing that has me wondering is there is a width restriction on riding on trails defined for a snowmobile. Because a lot of the public land out here is forest service I was wondering their policy.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Each individual national forest can decide and make rules as to width/weight restrictions of snowmobile type vehicles for its own location. The federal register is very broad based with no weight or width restrictions. I know near Bozeman the national forest (Gallatin) put width restrictions on its trail system. So far in WY we are being left alone and they are following the federal register definition of a snowmobile. Mixing snowmobiles and snow cats on the same trail raises the risk for an accident to happen. When an accident happens then the powers to be will begin to look at regulation on snow cats on snowmobile trails. Idaho has began some changes in some areas to the rules to eliminate the potential for conflict between cat and and snowmobiles,
Cats are on the short end of the stick in this debate and will lose the use of snowmobile trails as time progresses. It is best for snow cats to use other trails where their is less confilct to prevent losing their access to all nationa forest trails and roads set up for snowmobiles in the winter. My opinon is that snow cats should stay off the snowmobile trails that are not safe width for two cats to pass side by safely. If they cannot fit then it is too narrow for the snow cats and they should use alternative means.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper is correct. check your forest rules and definition of snowmobile.
then don't upset anyone.

torovision

Nothing written as far as snow cats on snowmobile trails that I've ever heardbut there are few snowmobile trails here and the only snowcats I've ever seen other than the BR-350's that the highway maintenance guys use and my own.
The province law in Alberta dictates that any motorized vehicle being used on public/crown land must be insured and registered regardless if it is for recreational or commercial use. Commercially registered are allowed access to restricted areas, some county's do not allow recreational vehicle use outside of designated trails. Around here I can use it on my farm or on nearby lakes (have to trailer it to the lakes) or I can haul it to the foot hills west of here about 2-21/2 hours and run power line/pipeline right of ways.