• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Street Survival" Teen Driving School ~ anyone send their kids?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My neighbor/friend was telling me about this program, its sponsored by some auto enthusiast clubs and The TireRack tire company. It looks darn interesting. Basically it teaches kids how far their car (their parent's car) can be pushed and how to survive.

From their website:
Tire Rack has joined with the non-profit BMW CCA Foundation to bring the Tire Rack Street Survival teen driving program to the nation. Through the volunteer efforts of members of the BMW Car Club of America, the Sports Car Club of America, the Mercedes-Benz Club of America and the Porsche Club of America as well as other automotive enthusiasts who serve as the personal coach with each teen, over 85 schools will be held across the U.S. this year.

It's about more than DRIVING. It's about LIVING!

The school's aim is to reduce deadly car crashes involving teenagers by providing them a controlled setting where they can gain invaluable experience in car control, all with a knowledgeable coach always at their side helping them to understand how important experience is over guessing when the unexpected happens on the road. The volunteers gladly give of their time and talents to help our most valuable resource, young people, gain experience that will allow them to make educated decisions when driving, rather than guessing what to do and whether they, their passenger or others sharing the road with them, will live or die.

Scott Goodyear, veteran IndyCar driver and expert race analyst, has partnered with the Tire Rack Street Survival® program. Goodyear will share his expertise and knowledge as a professional driver with teen drivers enrolled in select Tire Rack Street Survival® programs across the country. Read more.

Watch the Street Survival Videos:
Street Survival (Introduction)
Part 1 (The Promise)
Part 2 (In or Out of Control)
Part 3 (Its More than Noise)

Licensed or permitted drivers ages 16-21 sign up now!

Primary emphasis of the school is a "hands-on" driving experience in real-world situations.

Driving is done in the student's own car to teach him/her about its handling limits and how to control them.

Qualified coaches are in the car with the student throughout the entire day.

The course is wet down (in part) to allow the student to experience "mistakes" at a very slow speed. In this class, mistakes are learning experiences.

Challenging driving courses are created in a controlled area to allow the student to experience abnormal car behavior and then teach him/her how to handle the new situation.

This is not a course for learning how to drive at high speeds. Safety and car control are the objectives.

For detailed information, school calendar/locations, rules and example course visit www.streetsurvival.org

And another of their pages:
The primary emphasis of the Tire Rack Street Survival® is a "hands-on" driving experience in real-world situations! We use your own car to teach you about its handling limits and how you can control them.

The students will become more observant of the traffic situation they find themselves in. They will learn to look far enough ahead to anticipate unwise actions of other drivers. As the students master the application of physics to drive their cars, they will make fewer unwise driving actions themselves. They will understand why they should always wear their own seatbelts, and why they should insist that their passengers wear seatbelts, too.

The Tire Rack Street Survival® school is a safe teen program designed to go beyond today's required driver's education and give teens across the U.S. the driving tools and hands-on experience to become safer, smarter drivers. Trained and qualified in-car driving instructors as well as classroom experience for each student.

"This is not a course for learning how to drive your car at high speeds. Safety and car control are our objectives - saving your life is the result!"

For Students - and - For Parents

Follow the links for more information.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I personally think most Wisconsinites should take this course, multiple times.

The drivers here are the most brain-dead, not-aware-of-their-surroundings, road-hogging, left-lane-driving, rubber-necking, don't-know-how-to-use-an-on-or-off-ramp, no-turn-signal, accident-causing group of drivers I have ever driven amongst.

And these people teach their kids how to drive!

A business associate from Wisconsin had to drive to Grand Rapids the other day. He calls me up and asks why are all these Michigan drivers looking at him badly, and some even flipping him the bird. He specifically called me to ask. I asked if he was in the left lane. Yes. Was everybody passing him in the right lanes? Yes. I said Duh! He says - But the left lane is such a nicer smoother lane!

gawd!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd send my kids to it when they get to that age. I've learned a lot over the years from the accidents I've made. I think I'll buy some beater and let my kids trash it just so they can experience the "joy of the crash" without having to do it the expensive way(s) that I did. :hide:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The drivers here are the most brain-dead, not-aware-of-their-surroundings, road-hogging, left-lane-driving, rubber-necking, don't-know-how-to-use-an-on-or-off-ramp, no-turn-signal, accident-causing group of drivers I have ever driven amongst.
So, you've never been to Jersey? Ohio? I think they're #1 and #2 in terms of the worst drivers.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I lived in Maryland for a while (Kent Island).

Those people would be on the on ramp, speeding up to enter the highway, and then STOP DEAD! if there was any traffic.

I almost crashed the first time it happened. After that, I would just drive the shoulder aound the damn idiots and enter the highway as one should - at highway speed or above.

I love driving the Edens (Chicago) inbound on a medium traffic day. 80-90mph, everybody driving like pros. A nice curvy road, just a fun drive. Everybody mindful of their surroundings.

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not sure. Speed is the cause of most traffic deaths, so if they are not doing high speed maneuvers, then I'm not sure what good it will do.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure. Speed is the cause of most traffic deaths, so if they are not doing high speed maneuvers, then I'm not sure what good it will do.

It looks like they ARE doing high speed driving, the videos show them driving through turns fast enough to squeal the tires and talks about them pushing the car to its limits so they know how to handle it when they get close to the limits. I like the fact that it has them using their family car as opposed to some strange vehicle; by using their own car they will better understand the exact limits of the vehicle they drive every day.