• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Changing track width on a Thiokol 1201B

Monk

If a 1201B currently has wide tracks and I wanted to put narrower tracks on it, how difficult would that be? I am new to sno cats and did a search that only discussed cutting the tracks down. I am interested in replacing the tracks with narrower tracks, not cutting them.
Thanks,
Monk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ill go, narrow tracks should be a no-brainer. as long as the pitch is the same, off with the old, on with the new.

If you intend to narrow up the chassis too, then it becomes a bit more involved. the outboard drive axle parts need to be swapped, and the axles for the boggies narrowed. actually the work is easy work, and if you are patient enough you might even find someone willing to swap their narrow parts for your wide ones.

I have seen a thiokol 2100 narrowed up utilizing spryte parts, as I tell my kids, "its just work" do it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I know where there is a set of u type grousers for a sprite once sold by snow trans the rubber is useless but both tracks are I a pile I think they are about 24 to 36 inches wide not as wide as my 2100 j style grousers

Monk

24" would be great. 36" is only a little narrower than where I currently am at 40". The problem is transporting it with the 40" tracks on it. 118" is more than a foot wider than the legal width if I am reading the trailer laws right. What do other guys with wide tracks do? Wrestle the tracks on and off at the destination?

jo5

maybe you should look at how much that 1202B weights
that's why they put 36" an 45" tracks on them
might what to consider a difference cat for your needs

Monk

Thanks guys! It sounds like I will be sticking with the 40" tracks. My neighbor said he had 36" on his and it was perfect.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey monk < i have no idea where you are. with that said I will share a couple random bits from WI.
A) our over size load permits are cheap and easy to obtain. Most folks with any towing experience and a bit of a brain can safely maneuver 6-7000# of snow cat thru winter traffic and road conditions.
B) the standard track on a spryte was 28" the optional tracks are the wider ones. so, if you have some moisture/density in your snow, sprytes, are awesome flotation machines The A model spryte is high in my list of great all around performers in the upper midwest snow conditions. I am just warming up to a full cab C model.
C) detracking and retracking isn't so bad. If you have some help around and a highlift jack, splitting the tracks is not the worst.
just some random thought.
And as J05 says, maybe another cat is in order. (some folks can own just one). I'm thinking another cat should have some company while you are figuring out what meets your needs for over the snow operation.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Monk, you are getting some good advice from the folks here. Redsqwrl is right on with the tracks need to fit the snow conditions you are in. Perhaps two sets of tracks for different conditions. In this state one of the conditions for hauling with over width loads is that you are not permitted to haul when there is snow on the road. Not much help for snow machine guys.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
oversized loads are cancelled when our wonderful Washington state posts traction tires advised on our roads. that is why I cut my tracks down.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point:

During the event is not a smart time to add to the chaos of stupid on the roadway.

the county I live in has some common sense.

this was from one of our larger snow events last year:

OUTAGAMIE COUNTY:

Winter parking restrictions will be enforced. Outagamie County has also lifted a countywide tow ban on side streets, and on I-41 and Wis. 441.

contractors need to get the equipment moved about.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
got to admit even if I haven't got any real snow since I got Brutis I love the fact with no trees around I can drive right along side the roads.

Monk

I would have to transport for this season but hope to have a garage built next summer so it can be left at my property.

Washington State Patrol definitely crossed my mind especially traveling over the snowy pass.

My plan for now is to detrack one side for the trailer ride. Maybe a second set of narrow tracks in the future.

Thanks again guys!