• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to us suv.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The missus and I went out yesterday looking for a replacement vehicle for her van. We need at least a 7 passenger suv with the ability to tow. I still have my 03 durango and love it. We looked at a newer version of mine for her. Its an 05. Comes fully loaded with the 5.7l engine. We also looked at an 05 gmc envoy xl elite. Its nicely equipped and has the 5.3l. The envoy rides a lot nicer and the 5.3l puts out 300 hp. The gm gets way better fuel mileage also but the tow rating is less then the durango.

The durango also rides nice and puts out a crazy amount of horsepower but they are not exactly a prius in the fuel economy dept. Both are selling for near the same price. The question is. Which one do we go with?

uploadfromtaptalk1391947146550.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391947182786.jpg the envoy have a bunch of promo decals on it right now but they would be gone if we buy it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you get the Hemi, I think you should look for one new enough that it can run on 4 cylinders while cruising. In our car this will get you roughly the same high way milage as a Chryslers 3.5 V6 in the same car. The newer engines also have variable valve timing and an additional 25 hp to boot. Not sure but maybe they had this in 08 or newer.

Fuel milage shoud be a consern. You have power and towing in your truck, but does she need all of that too? Cost of operation will exceed the value of the vehical in the long run. How much over is largely determined by fuel milage.

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was the envoy a business vehicle? Driven by a lot of folks? How many miles on each vehicle?
I have the 5.3 engine in my truck. It puts out similar power to my previous truck with a 5.7. I have towed the same boat, around 6,000 pounds, with both trucks and I have not noticed a difference in tow capability. The 5.3 does get a little better gas milage than my 5.7 did.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Both vehicles are at dealerships. So not entirely sure on the history. The envoy just had a bunch of promo decals on it for a sale the dealership has on right now. My durango has the older 5.9L engine and is enough to pull the camper. We'd like the second vehicle to be able to have the ability to haul as well as when we travel back to my hometown we'd like the option of being able to bring both the camper and the boat. The boat is a 16ft Crestliner with subfloor and 40hp engine so it's heavy enough to haul.

I did search out a few other newer durango's with the 5.7 and the option to cut down to 4 cylinders on the hwy but I'd have to take a few days off work to travel to see them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
My 2003 Hemi Durango was a gas guzzler. It was a nice SUV but honestly it got around 11-13MPG unless I was cruising on the highway where it could get 18mpg.

Kane

If I would ever buy a used vehicle, the first thing I'd look at is the odometer. No matter the comparable cosmetics, a low-miles '05 would actually be preferrable to a high-miles '10. Just sayin'.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well. The mileage is decent for both. Around 130k kms each

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you get a CarFax for both? That will give you some history that may help in the decision.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I think we are leaning towards the envoy xl. Mostly for the fuel mileage. The ride is nice as well. The missus likes it. If she's happy then I'm happy.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an 05 Suburban and it was a total POS. what are the wheelbases on each? crawl on your back and look at the condition of the brake and fuel lines on both. They like to rust out along the frames. STOMP the brake pedal hard on each before you buy. Better to blow a line on their dime than yours.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Must be something about those suburbans. My bro had an 06 and his was the same thing. Nothing but problems. He had the air ride suspension. That gave him problems. First the air shocks started leaking then it blew a line. Next, the compressor gave out.

Not sure on the wheelbase. I'll have to look it up. We've always had gmc/chevy's in our family. The ride on the envoy is unreal. Very smooth. I like the fit n finish of the interior. At least I know the engine is tried and true. It's got the 5.3L. Crazy amount of power out of that engine in a vehicle this light. That's the same engine my last full sized truck had.

I know that engine will have enough torque and hp to pull the camper. The wheelbase on the envoy is a little longer then my durango so it should be a little more stable on the highway.

jwstewar

We had an '05 Trailblazer XL LT with the 4.2 inline 6. It rode OK, drove OK, but Monica and I neither one liked it. No room in the front seats, no room in the back unless the 3rd row was folded. What is the point of the third row if it is always folded, we couldn't even fit the weekly groceries behind the third row. We ended up trading it for our '08 Suburban. Have been thrilled with the Suburban. Better fuel mileage, drives much better, rides much better, and LOTS more room. Just had to replace the battery last week. Other than the left side door lock actuators, no issues with it at all.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm 6'2". When I tested the envoy on saturday I could stretch my legs right out with no problems. More then enough leg room for me. The thing I like about the size of the envoy is it's easier to park in the city. I remember cursing every time I went somewhere with my crew cab chev(which is the same size roughly as the suburban). Finding a place to park was a pain in the A$$ to say the least. If it wasn't for the parking issue we would have definately looked at something full sized.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far we are very happy with the envoy purchase. It's got better gas mileage than my durango by far. I try not to drive it though since the rear tire life wouldn't be that long. Man, that 5.3L has power. I can leave a stop light with my tires spinning for 100ft and my back pressed back into the seat. Then I get back into my dodge with the 5.9L and it feels as though I'm hauling around an anchor. This thing ride like a dream. But then again it's a GMC. I've always been a fan of the GM ride and comfort level. Though the durango is fairly comfortable as well and has good seats. I had one minor problem arise on the envoy last night. The front heater completely stopped working. When we got home, I popped the glove box open, wiggled a couple wires in behind and it works again. Guess the heater resistor is on its way out. I ordered another just to be safe. That's minor stuff. I had to change the same thing on the durango already. It's basically two screws and a plug in wire harness.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well. First bit of trouble with the envoy. Started a month ago. We're driving along and let off the gas. It just sputtered and died. Wouldn't restart. After a few minutes it restarted and we were off. A few blocks later it died again almost like it's not getting fuel. We finally made it home and it was fine for a couple weeks. The other day it died again on the wife and wouldn't restart. We had to get it towed. Today. I drove it to a garage about 8km away then came home. Left again and drove for 4km. Without warning it just sputtered and died. I again had to call a tow truck. This time we brought it to the dealer. The engine light was on so I scanned it. It said the crankcase position sensor was faulty. The tow truck brought it to the dealership and of course it started up like nothing was wrong. I told them that they better do more than just drive it around the block. They said they wiggled connectors and everything was fine. I told them that they better change the sensor I suggested as all the signs and symptoms point to it being faulty.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Well. First bit of trouble with the envoy. Started a month ago. We're driving along and let off the gas. It just sputtered and died. Wouldn't restart. After a few minutes it restarted and we were off. A few blocks later it died again almost like it's not getting fuel. We finally made it home and it was fine for a couple weeks. The other day it died again on the wife and wouldn't restart. We had to get it towed. Today. I drove it to a garage about 8km away then came home. Left again and drove for 4km. Without warning it just sputtered and died. I again had to call a tow truck. This time we brought it to the dealer. The engine light was on so I scanned it. It said the crankcase position sensor was faulty. The tow truck brought it to the dealership and of course it started up like nothing was wrong. I told them that they better do more than just drive it around the block. They said they wiggled connectors and everything was fine. I told them that they better change the sensor I suggested as all the signs and symptoms point to it being faulty.

getting that great gm feeling

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
CPS devices usually work well when cold, and fail when hot.
As I was reading your symptoms, I was thinking to tell you to scan and see if CPS shows up.
You answered my question.
The switch should be easy to change - change it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always something. You are not the first I've heard that traded your Durango because of mileage.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't mind having the Durango to graft a small diesel in to than you can have the vehicle and mileage. it would make a great new broom for my wife that thinks she needs to drive every place especially when there is no reason to do so.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
CPS devices usually work well when cold, and fail when hot.
As I was reading your symptoms, I was thinking to tell you to scan and see if CPS shows up.
You answered my question.
The switch should be easy to change - change it.
Lol. Yep. I used to be a gm fan till my last truck. Gmc makes a comfortable truck but I've been swayed away by expensive unexpected repairs in the past.

Way bomb. ..yep. that's what I tried telling those mechanics at the dealership when they said they wiggled a few wires and everything seemed fine. I told them that it happens after about 45 mins of driving. And every time the thing stalls it pops a code for the crank sensor. I had a new sensor sitting in the passenger seat so I told them to change it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Always something. You are not the first I've heard that traded your Durango because of mileage.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the Durango but when it cost me $120 for a tank of gas and I could barely squeeze 350km out of it that's not impressive.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if you do replace crank or cam sensors use oem gm parts I have had a lot of problems with the aftermarket on these sensors.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Fingers crossed but so far it's been running alright with the new sensor.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty bad when a backyard mechanic with a cheap $6 scanner he picked up on ebay can diagnose a vehicle better than the dealership with their multi thousand dollar scanners. They were saying they couldn't find the problem. I told them to change the sensor anyways. So far so good.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my tool isn't a 6.00 piece of equipment but it doesn't need to be re programed most scanners can do the electronic timing to sync the cam and crank sensors.i have one I replaced both crank and cam sensors in its still acting up the mechanic dealing with it now is saying I replaced the wrong sensor he said I should have replaced the exhaust side crank sensor. news flash there is only one crank and cam sensor, he aint got a clue. there is a cam phazer it has been cleaned and checked it is working likely there is a stretched timing chain not allowing the crank and cam to properly sync. or a defective sensor I suggested buy one from gm the customer got an aftermarket part. as I previously posted when it comes to these new vehicles I have not had much luck with aftermarket hall effect sensors its money well spent getting oem 1 out of 3 aftermarket sensors have problems.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is my code scanner. It's just a simple tool that reads the codes. Comes in handy though for what it is. Most used vehicles are running around with blown o2 sensors. Mines been going off intermittently. I can confirm it with this simple tool rather than paying a garage $75 a scan.

bb9ba8d962f8520e66a8d626fd2ef30e.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A little update followed by a big update. First, the sensor was the issue with the envoy. Its been running fine. Since we got it I had to change the brakes and rotors, rear shocks and swaybar links, a fuel line, the camshaft position sensor and a few other odds n ends. Its got 215k on it and lately its been a case of "fill up the oil and antifreeze and check the gas". So before it cost us big $ for an engine job we decided to upgrade to something newer.
I had been looking for a bit for a decent replacement. And with us becoming foster parents for two different agencies we need something that'll hold 5-6 kids and still be able to haul the camper. We just made a deal on a 2012 gmc yukon. Its the basic version with a 5.3l engine cloth interior and seats 9.
706bf537451d1fd8ff2a10b8d599dc39.jpg

Its the same wheelbase as the envoy but full truck width and should do a good job pulling the camper with a proper hitch setup which I will be upgrading before our next big trip.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We get the new to us suv today. I'll probably never BUY a brand brand new vehicle off the lot again. This thing is a 2012 with only 92k on it which equates to around 25k a year average mileage. We've only put on 35k in two years on the envoy. So this will last us a long time. I opted for the extended warranty for the simple reason that I can't do the maintenance I used to on vehicles. As my abilities lessen by the day I want to know that we can just easily bring it in for work as needed. And as far as cost, a new one specd like this is $60000 up here. We're paying less than half that.

Mechanically the envoy is excellent right now aside from pissing oil and antifreeze all over the driveway. I didn't want to get into the expense of rebuilding an engine on a vehicle only worth 7k.