• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Adopt a Pet or volunteer

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a website for nationwide pet adoption. Not everyone can afford a new little guy running around your house so volunteering might be the thing for you. If you dont have much time well, how about a 15 minute visit to a shelter? Bring a few treats for a lucky few cats or dogs! Anyhow, here is the website: http://www.petfinder.com/

sierra.jpg

Make an offer: Volunteer!

Walking dogs, cuddling cats, typing, answering the phone, cleaning cages, fundraising -- all of these are tasks that you might be able to perform for your local shelter/rescue organization. Offer your help by signing up on our volunteer database. Our members that need volunteers can search the database and give you a call.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's totally sweet Sushi!!
Soon I'll be visiting the local humane society and taking in dog food, cat food, kitty litter, bleach.. they have such a long list of things they need.
I also enjoy cuddling and loving the little ones waiting for adoption.
Gretchen came from a trusted breeder (not a puppy mill).. but I've owned a lot of dogs in my life who were adopted from shelters and came home with Mama for a nice life :)
I'd have a house full of 4 leggers if I had the time and space.
So my $$ is the thing I do now for them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats where we always get our dogs or cats from :thumb: . We have 3 rescued dogs and 2 cats that rescued us .:yum:
They just seem to know and appreciate us more . They are loyal , loving and part of the family . "Chip", my Spinger ,I took in and adopted when my good friend was killed in a plane crash , is really special even though he has really bad gas :moon: . We have had him 9 years now and my wife would get rid of me before that old moth eaten dog .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The thing I love most about pets is that they love us for who we are... it's that unconditional love that we rarely get from humans.
They don't care if we weigh 500 lbs, are grumpy and have a face full of warts.
All they ask for is food, warmth and a little snuggle now and then.
One of the many dachshunds I adopted was my Sophie.
She lived 3 short years, but let me tell you, that dog taught me so much about patience and unconditional love.
She'd been abused by her former owner to the point that I don't really want to share here..
Let's just say.. her tail had been chopped off and she mothered a litter of puppies before the authorities were called (by a nice elderly lady who found her in a box with the babies)..
That lady found a home for one of the pups when all was said and done.. the other 2 got good homes too!
Sophie came home with me and I loved her like I have never loved any other dog in my life.
She was a black and tan "tweenie".
She was above the weight of a miniature, but below a standard.
She'll always be in my heart as the greatest dog who ever existed.
Shhhhhh (don't tell Gretchen I said that!) :)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Thats where we always get our dogs or cats from :thumb: . We have 3 rescued dogs and 2 cats that rescued us .:yum:
They just seem to know and appreciate us more . They are loyal , loving and part of the family . "Chip", my Spinger ,I took in and adopted when my good friend was killed in a plane crash , is really special even though he has really bad gas :moon: . We have had him 9 years now and my wife would get rid of me before that old moth eaten dog .

Got Gas........... If you need help in locating a dealer, contact me..... Junk....

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Helping out the shelters and rescue groups is a great idea. So is adopting from a shelter or rescue.

Unfortunately, and sadly, we had to put our 8 year old Golden down early this summer because of really bad cancer. My Aussie, she was 17 when I had to put her down because of failing health just a couple months later; I got her from a shelter when she was 9 months old. Hurt like heck to lose that dog... It's only been a few months, I tear up thinking about it.

We have always had a couple of dogs. Our house was empty without them. A few weeks ago, we adopted a year old German Shepherd from a local rescue. She is a sweet dog, although timid around my son and I.

As we started to look for a dog, it was soooo sad seeing all the dogs in shelters and rescues. Tons of them. With the recent loss of our older dogs, and seeing these shelter dogs, it just tears me up sometimes. I'm a bit of a soft hearted person, but can be strong and tough when needed, like on the fire line or hard medical calls(the E228 part of my sig is for the Engine Company I volunteer on). Still seeing all the dogs in shelters, and knowing there are as many cats too, just tugs at my heart.

Supporting the shelters and rescues is definitely a good and noble thing to do.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Helping out the shelters and rescue groups is a great idea. So is adopting from a shelter or rescue.

Unfortunately, and sadly, we had to put our 8 year old Golden down early this summer because of really bad cancer. My Aussie, she was 17 when I had to put her down because of failing health just a couple months later; I got her from a shelter when she was 9 months old. Hurt like heck to lose that dog... It's only been a few months, I tear up thinking about it.

We have always had a couple of dogs. Our house was empty without them. A few weeks ago, we adopted a year old German Shepherd from a local rescue. She is a sweet dog, although timid around my son and I.

As we started to look for a dog, it was soooo sad seeing all the dogs in shelters and rescues. Tons of them. With the recent loss of our older dogs, and seeing these shelter dogs, it just tears me up sometimes. I'm a bit of a soft hearted person, but can be strong and tough when needed, like on the fire line or hard medical calls(the E228 part of my sig is for the Engine Company I volunteer on). Still seeing all the dogs in shelters, and knowing there are as many cats too, just tugs at my heart.

Supporting the shelters and rescues is definitely a good and noble thing to do.

RNE great post. Make sure you PM BoneheadNW. He is an EMT/Firefighter up in the Seattle area on some island - I can never remember the name of.

Then again, Bonehead is a bit odd so may be that isn't such a good idea! :poke: