• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Suspension leveling kit

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone here ever attempt a suspension leveling kit on their truck? I'm not looking to lift it an additional 2 feet in the air and install big swamper tires. All I want to do is lift the front end two inches so it's sitting level with the back.

I've done a bit of research on the ford f150 and apparently ford did away with the torsion bar setup in 2003. On my old durango I just cranked the torsion bars up a few turns to get it sitting level and increase front end clearance. Most pickups nowadays have that butt up in the air look with the back end being 2-3" higher than the front.

So here's what I'm looking at doing to mine......

Before_after_comparison.jpg

And I plan on doing it by installing......

66-2215_400.jpg

It looks to be an easy install. Basically just take the front suspension apart as if you were changing a strut then install the spacer over the top of the strut then reinstall everything. Should be about a 2 hour job. Of course it runs about $200 on average for the spacers but I consulted my go to parts place(ebay) and found the exact same set of spacers that normally sell for $200 listed for $38. So I will be ordering a set.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought you did a lot of hauling/trailering.

If you lift the front then put your camper on the back, you'll be nose up (which sucks since your headlights are now pointing into the trees).

My truck sits the same as the before image above. If I want it level, I'd just toss some sandbags in the bed.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If I want it level, I'd just toss some sandbags in the bed.

That used to be my answer for snow and ice as well. I used to leave them in there most of the year as I thought that they made the truck ride better, until I needed sand for some project around the house. :biggrin:

jwstewar

Mine too. I even changed my rear springs out for ones from a 2500 which raised the rear even more. I cranked the T-bars 2 or 3 rounds I think, help some, but it still has a heck of a rake to it. Of course, since it rarely leaves the yard anymore without towing/hauling it is sitting level most of the time.:yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I read Toyota truck forums a lot. Some people consider those spacers dangerous as in 'another thing to break' because they can suffer sideways torque.

Most people use either adjustable Rancho RS9000 shocks which you can change with a dial on the unit or Bilstein 5100 shocks which you can set to different heights when you install them.

My #1 choice since you tow would be sandbags. #2 the Rancho shocks.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I lifted my last F250 and it seemed to just result in a series of other issues: ball joints, steering issues, faster tire wear. Of course then you'll want the bigger tires, and you'll need new shocks, and .....$$$$

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Well, I had taken your advice and didn't bother with the front lift even though I had the spacers sitting in the garage. I had the truck in the shop the other day getting upper and lower balljoints changed on the drivers side when they discovered a broken front spring. How I broke a spring with only in town driving is beyond me. Anyways, they wanted $280 just for one strut assembly. Ebay provided me with 2 moog struts for $125. Since I'm changing out the struts I'll have them install the spacers. I'm not worried about trailering with this truck anymore. The plan is to keep it a year then trade for something newer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cold weather is hell on our equipment. And you are in some of the coldest weather of us all. Good luck Brian.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The ford is now in like new condition mechanically. She's got a new set of duratracs, brake rotors, pads, calipers, front wheel bearings, struts, ball joints. She's got some minor surface rust but I haven't seen a vehicle over 4 years old up here without some form of rust. Something is nolt right when the streets are still wet at -40. They have been using a new liquid salt that does a good job with ice but eats away at the paint.

Back to the lift. The front end feels a lot higher now with the extra 2". Also. Going from front springs and shocks that had 200k on them to new ones sure made a difference in the ride on the front end. Feels like new.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk