• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Articulated Track Vehicles "The Engineer" Article

frostypaws

Interesting article from the mid-60s on the history and design of articulated tracked vehicles. There are some familiar machines and other one offs too I thought were interesting. I wonder if the Polecat Mark II is still out there, that would be fun to restore!

Attachments

• 53564552articulated-tracked-vehicles-pdf.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 288

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting, nice to see that early technical information.

frostypaws

My curiosity got the best of me early this week on WNRE (Wilson Nuttall Raimond Engineering Inc.) soooo... using the power of the internet and my google fu skills I managed to contact the last two remaining engineers that worked there :(. I didn't realize they were such an innovative company for the time. One of the engineers was kind enough to scan one of the brochures that contained specifications for the vehicles they designed (from 1954-late 60s). Unfortunately only a few of these machines came to fruition, most of them one-offs. I hope you enjoy the history as much as I did!

I have a bunch of other correspondence from them on the formation, development history, personalities of the 'bosses' and eventual downfall, but since I am not a historian, I will hand most of that to the guy who runs the unusual locomotion website, he does good work :).

Attachments

• WNRE Vehicle Spec's. (1).pdf
    4 MB · Views: 234

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting article from the mid-60s on the history and design of articulated tracked vehicles. There are some familiar machines and other one offs too I thought were interesting. I wonder if the Polecat Mark II is still out there, that would be fun to restore!

The killen Straights was a local machine here in the east central WI area.

they are the hope to find someday machine as they were made about 1 mile from my house.......

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, I wouldn’t mind those contacts if possible I have a Musk-OX
Made in the 80’s it was a Dynometer machine made for testing tanks. I would love to get anything on it.

Attachments

• 4036D50E-F2BF-4F77-BC08-458FF5469DEC.jpeg
    4036D50E-F2BF-4F77-BC08-458FF5469DEC.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 294

Aaron Tucker

Thanks for the info, I wouldn’t mind those contacts if possible I have a Musk-OX
Made in the 80’s it was a Dynometer machine made for testing tanks. I would love to get anything on it.

I thought of you as soon as I saw this thread .You should get that muskox going it was a beast !