• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I want to learn to play the Ukulele

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For $30 the local music shop is going to install a passive pickup into my new Uke.

I want to put a strap on this new Uke and I use a 'jack strap' plug to hold my strap on the other Uke which holds the strap in place in the pickup jack. By installing a pickup in this new Uke, I can use the same system for securing the strap ... and I can also use a strap and simultaneously be able to plug this this ukulele into the Crate Amplifier too.

So I bought a dedicated ukulele pickup that gets really good reviews (so it can accurately pick up my beginner mistakes and transmit them at louder volumes) and the local shop is going to install it for me. Should have it back from the shop early next week.

I think it was Northern Redneck who originally mentioned the strap jacks??? Whoever it was ... THANKS :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 209

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
F7 Chord ... what sadistic bastard thought up this chord?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
12 Bar Blues, with that damned F7 chord, screws me up but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The arthritis & ligament injury in my left wrist make a proper F7 finger position impossible for me, just can't get my fingers where they belong. I get them on the correct strings but can't get my ring finger near the fret bar so the sound is not nearly as good as it should be ... but I'm at least getting to the point of being able to play it through without too many hiccups.

The video lessons I'm following typically have the song on a 'white board' behind the instructor, so I can see what is coming up before the instructor calls out the next chord. As I am slow to chord changes this helps prepare me to make the change on time (or close to on time). But in this lesson they changed the format and the white board is gone!!! So I watched the lesson, wrote up my own white board notes, and have been managing, with some trouble & some mixed success to play along.

Seems I need both audio & visual cues to get this. I'm OK with admitting that. After all I'm pretty close to tone deaf and have a difficult time clapping to music without watching for visual cues from others who are clapping.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a horrible horrible ukulele player :hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
F Minor ... the new chord from hell itself.

Index finger, first fret, G/1st string
2nd finger -or- ring finger (your choice), first fret, E/3rd string
Little finger, 3 fret, A/4th string​

If you have arthritis and dramatically reduced mobility in your left wrist getting your little finger down to that 3rd fret is about as easy as fitting a fat man through a mouse hole.

I don't have small hands but spanning from 1st to 3rd fret with seriously limited mobility hurts and I can't imagine making a chord change, on the fly, during a song, is going to happen 'in time' with any music, no matter how much I slow down the tempo :mellow:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the bright side I do like playing the new Tiny Tenor ukulele. It has a longer neck with a bit more space between the frets so my fingers have just a little more room. It seems to make it easier for me to play as badly as I can manage to play!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Subscribed to PBS during "Play the Ukulele with The Atomic Sharks" TV special and got a Makala soprano ukulele, CD, DVD and songbook from The Atomic Sharks.

My first Soprano and my first Makala (which is the discount line from the popular brand Kala). WOW this is tiny and there is no way my arthritic left hand is going to like it. But that is no matter, when I subscribed I knew that I would be giving this little Makala MK-S to my niece as a Christmas gift. She wants me to teach her how to play (which will definitely be the blind leading the blind) but I think this little Makala and the song book can help her with some basics.

After reading horror stories about build quality control on the Makala I was unsure what to expect. I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. The set up is not too bad right out of the box, certainly playable. The satin finish has a nice looking semi-open pore surface that is pleasant enough to look at. The fretboard and the saddle appear to be unfinished. Frets are smooth enough and finished nice enough on each end. There are front & side markers for the 5th, 7th and 10th frets. The front dots appear to be mother-fo-pearl but might be simulated MOP? Tuners are unmarked and open gear with white plastic knobs. The little Makala comes equipped with Aquila SuperNylgut strings. Overall I'm pretty happy with this little thing and I won't be embarrassed to give it as a gift.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 189

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Came across this and thought of you. We expect to see your rendition of it posted here. [emoji6]

https://youtu.be/T9WCM4CV5Iw

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Uh, no.

I'm on a few day break, due to frustration. I can form the chords. I can change cords. I can ALMOST keep up with chord changes on several songs at ALMOST normal 4/4 time with the music. So I'm clearly getting better.

BUT, and this is a huge BUT, I HAVE HUGE ISSUES WITH STRUMMING PATTERNS.

Want me to play all down strokes. No problem. Want me to play down/up strokes. No problem. But if the song requires a real strumming patter like D/D/U/U/D/U, which is a very common pattern, I simply get lost and screw up the strum pattern, lose track in the song and abandon all hope that I will ever be able to play anything more complicated than simple children's songs :sad:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It'll come with practice. Strumming took me years to master. And I'm still learning 26 years after starting guitar.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still playing nursery rhymes and children's songs.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still playing nursery rhymes and children's songs.
I remember those days. When I first started playing guitar it was kids songs playing single notes. Once I learned three chords I learned knocking on heaven's door. I played that over and over again for what seemed like a year.

Really though. If you can master 4 basic chords you can play a lot of songs that are popular nowdays. G D EM C. In that order usually. Throw in the odd Am and F chord and you have the basis of a lot of popular music.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My problem is not the chords, its the strumming. I know 8 or 9 common chords ... but switching chords is sometimes a little too slow. Its getting faster, so its just a matter of practice. Still, the strumming patterns are what totally screw me up.

I have no natural rhythm (seriously) and that makes the strumming even worse.

I will never be a good player because my timing always speeds up or trails off, sometimes both in the same song! But I'm playing for ME and not to join a band. Its fun to play, despite the frustration.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's the spirit. For years I just played for me. I kinda reached a level of playing where I could switch chords quickly and keep a steady strumming pattern. For the past 5 years or so I have been playing a lot more and working on my technique. Now my strumming is coming along nicely. I routinely alternate strumming while playing a song. For example. If a song has a chorus that plays over and over again towards the end, I'll start the chorus softly using my hand to mute the strings while strumming gently in downward strokes. Then I'll continue the chorus strumming harder using downstrokes and not muting it anymore with my hand. The final time around on the chorus I'll throw in upstrokes in a steady pattern to build momentum to the end of the song.

Clear as mud?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No updates on this thread for quite a while but I have not given up.

It has been hard to practice during the holiday season, which is also the competitive fencing season, so I've not really had much time to do any real practicing. I have restrung one of my more frequently played ukuleles with a new set of strings. I've messed around a bit. But I need to get back to my daily practice sessions; something I hope to start up again next week.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I guess there is an update. After posting the above 'non-update' early this morning I did find a bit of time a short while ago to pick up the Magic Fluke uke. Played "Dropkick Me Jesus" a couple of times. Badly. But I remembered the chords and managed the chord changes, albeit slowly.

I was pretty happy that I could sort-of/semi manage that little ditty of a song. Its a simple song but on my best day its about as much as I have been able to manage to properly play so the fact that I was able to actually stumble my way through it was heartening.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 272

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still playing (badly) but I'm happy so that is what counts :clap:

I can do a reasonable rendition of Bobby Dare's Dropkick Me Jesus but I'm still horrific when I attempt to play fast songs. Songs in Waltz timing (3/4 time) seem to be my forte.

I'm absolutely loving my Romero Tiny Tenor, its an amazing instrument, way better than I can ever hope to be. And its a joy to play. That said, I'm looking at buying Ukulele #4.

I found a used Cordoba 32T, which is mid-quality level ukulele. Have NOT purchased it. But seriously considering it. IF I can get the price come to down.

Its an all solid tone wood instrument, rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce top. Designed by Pepe Romero Jr, same guy who designed my Tiny Tenor. The Cordoba 32T is a handmade instrument, in China. The brand reputation is only so-so in the Uke community but the "30" series instruments are considered very nice, very much better than the rest of the brand's ukes. The "30" series has Spanish heel construction, which is supposed to be lighter, stronger and more stable than traditional dovetail ukulele construction. Its also touted as allowing the ukulele to have more vibrant tones, resonate better and overall a lighter weight.

The 32T is a true Tenor size ukulele. My other instruments are smaller Concert size instruments. The "Tiny Tenor" is a hybrid, the scale is Tenor length but on a small body and overall a Concert size ukulele.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.36.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.36.40 PM.png
    601 KB · Views: 234
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.36.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.36.14 PM.png
    391.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.30.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 4.30.26 PM.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 243

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I had out of town visitors here for the past week.

One of which used to be a pretty good guitar player, but life got in the way and he has not played with his guitars for the past few years. We got talking about the ukuleles and he plunked around with them but then noticed the guitar case sitting in the corner. Out came my daughter's Spanish style guitar and we struggled through a duet of AMAZING GRACE

First time I had played the ukulele with anyone else playing along side me.

Also first time I played the ukulele with an audience of more than my dogs. I don't even play when my wife is in the room, although she does hear me practice from time to time.

I struggled.

I got lost in the song on a couple attempts.

He got lost in the song at least once.

But we did manage to play a pretty bad version of the song.

And had a lot of fun doing it.

Attachments

• ygv7%M9MSn2BtS0xEu2ItA.jpg
    ygv7%M9MSn2BtS0xEu2ItA.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 226

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OH, for whatever it is worth, I did NOT buy the Cordoba ukulele. I was looking at it at Easter-time and that is when my wife gifted me the aNueNue ukulele so buying a Cordoba will have to be a future purchase.

... and how to keep the wine glasses from spilling too.

That is my 'superpower' :hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it all progresses and I'm slowly getting better.

It'll come with practice. Strumming took me years to master. And I'm still learning 26 years after starting guitar.

Seems like I sort of turned a corner recently on 'strumming patterns' and can now manage a few different strumming patterns ... those have been my bane and the cause of much frustration for me. Practice, Practice, PRACTICE seems to be the only reliable way to manage those.

My wife actually is now commenting that SOME of what I am playing actually sounds like real songs :yum:

Not sure how to SING and PLAY at the same time. With the piano you typically hit one key for each syllable of a word in a song. But with a ukulele its common to apply a 'strumming pattern' that repeats through all/much of a song, and a typical strumming pattern may have 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 strums in the pattern while the song's words (syllable count) may have no correlation to the strums. Confusing to me. Probably pretty simple for an 8 year old :unsure::unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh by the way, if anyone wants to book entertainment for a children's birthday party I can officially announce that KISS THE GIRL from Disney's Little Mermaid is in my repertoire. I'm not demanding. A private jet for transport, a bowl full of all blue M&M in my dressing room, and an adoring audience is more than enough compensation for me!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still plucking away, slow but sure. Still bad, but get improving.

Want to play a Jimmy Buffett tune that is a favorite of mine. Of course I can't find any ukulele tutorials for that song. Found one chord diagram of the song in the key of D, which is tough for me to play so I transposed it to the key of C and that is much easier for me.

Found a youtube guitar tutorial for the song and think I have the strum pattern.

DUDUUDUUDU -and/or- 1+2++3++4+

The strum pattern seems pretty easy but its actually a lot harder to play than it seems like it should be. Then again I'm pretty much a 10 thumbs player as it is and care rarely get through any song error free. Oh sure, sometimes I manage, but I usually screw up a strum pattern somewhere. This one is definitely going to be a challenge.

There is a finger picking intro, have not started to even look into how to gift out the notes to play that on a ukulele yet.

This is the YouTube video I've found. Its where I got the strum pattern. Might be able to use it to figure out the finger picking part too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6h7YObr1Rs

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
DUDUUDUUDU -and/or- 1+2++3++4+

Can’t understand a word you are saying.

My wife is an ESL teacher. I’ll get her to translate for me tonight. :yankchain: