• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got a new pup - Australian Shepherd

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I picked the 'slow' dog from the litter.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That might make it hard from the beginning but may turn out to be in your favor in the long run.

These Aus Shepards, Border Collies and similar breeds are really smart which can be a PITA at times since they're constantly underfoot wanting you to give them something to do. Mine is mixed with Lab which calms her down quite a bit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He tried to poop in front of the living room TV today. I jumped, shouting, scooped him up, carried him outside and scared the poop back inside him???

Walked around with him for 20 min ... no poop.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
when naming my dog it was a toss up between general lee or sgt Kelly my wife told me I was no longer in the military so the kids liked the dukes of hazard I named him Boss Dog. my youngest's little chick magnet, we call sarge used to follow me in to the voting booth when I was casting a vote for Hillary. he was smart enough to figure out what I was doing in there, if no one takes him out during the day, we will find a donation to hillarys foundation on the floor, right in front of the throne. I haven't scolded him for it as it is easy to clean up there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought I'd give a Mitty update.

Guess its been about 3 weeks and this dog still is NOT house broken. Oh, he's a lot better than he was, but damn. Seems like things are worse when there is a lot of activity in the house, he gets excited and just pees where he stands. As I frequently baby-sit 2 additional dogs I notice that when there are 4 dogs in the house things are worse than when its just Walter & Mitty home with me.

Honestly the 1st week we had him I simply don't believe he was able to control his bladder sufficiently to be housebroken. He now is able to reasonably control himself and is now reasonably aware that he is supposed to go outside but sometimes he just doesn't.

Its very frustrating. I had him at the Vet this morning for regular shots and discussed it with the Vet. She indicated that I'm doing the right stuff, but suggested that I may want to add a food treat as a reward when he does his business outside. Guess its worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 177

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The food treat might be a good idea. Our dogs still get a food treat when they go outside, do their business and get back in the house. The other thing that I did with Gypsy was that when she wasn't tethered to me by a leash, she was crated and she never messed in her crate. She got out of the crate to go outside to do her business, got a treat when we got back inside and went back in to her crate. I know that it sounds cruel but it really isn't. She loved that crate and even when she had the run of the house she would go back in it to catch a nap. She felt safe in there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a crate fan. My wife is not. So we don't use crates. Much to my dismay. We did with all 3 Akitas and our Malamute. Worked great.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that on the way home Mitty got car sick. Literally at the end of the driveway. Barfed in my lap.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, and I forgot to mention that on the way home Mitty got car sick. Literally at the end of the driveway. Barfed in my lap.

That sounds so much like our Gypsy. I feel so sad for her. She can't make it to the vet and back or even in to town without honking. The only reason that I keep the old van is to transport her around. It's 20-years old and she can't do anything to hurt it. What makes it so sad is that we have to kennel her when we go off on RV trips. The other dog loves to travel. If she thinks that you are going in the car/van/truck or RV she is right there, ready to go.

I wish you luck my friend.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mitty came running upstairs today. Got into the bedroom, YAPPED in pain, sat there holding up one of his paws in the air.

Not sure what he did.

Been trying to keep him calm all day. He is lightly limping. When he's excited he will run and shows no sign of pain but when he is walking you can see he is favoring his front left leg.

Not sure what the vet can do. The local vet keeps SUNDAY hours, 10am to 5pm. No added fee for showing up. So we are going to see how Mitty does the rest of the day and tonight. If needed he will be going into the doggy doctor tomorrow morning.

On the bright side the potty training seems to have taken a turn. At least when I am home. No accidents in the house when I am around.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2 dogs went to the Vet's office

2 dogs stopped at Starbucks to share a cup of water :wub:

1 dog barfed all over the backseat of my car on the way home :puke2:

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 164

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. We try to avoid drinks and food for the dogs prior to riding in a vehicle. Marley is fine in a car and will fall asleep within minutes. Thunder needs to be kenneled in the vehicle as he gets very nervous and will throw up.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

jwstewar

We have 3 dogs (well, I think they are dogs, not big enough to be what I consider dogs. 2 Chihuahuas and a Mal-Shi (Maltese/Shih Tzu mix (designer breed FKA as a mutt). The 1 Chihuahua (Sissy - we didn't name her, she was 7 and already named when we got her) and the Mal-Shi (Lilly) love going bye-bye in the car. Both get in the car and can ride without issue. They will lie on the seat or on someone's lap until you stop, then they stand up and look out the window to see if it is time to get out. When they see us packing the camper they both go inside the camper and sit to make sure they get to go. Now the other Chihuahua (Sprinkles, my daughter loves cup cakes with sprinkles and it is her dog) is scared of everything. Someone comes to the house, under the couch. She feels most comfortable sitting on my lap in the chair or sleeping beside me. She absolutely hates cars. Can finally make short trips in the car now without getting sick, used to be we couldn't take her to town without getting sick. But she has started this thing where she "clicks" when she is in the car. I think she is actually panting where she is scared, but it sounds like someone clicking their finger nails or something. It is annoying as hell, but I have to tolerate it because the older 2 kids bitch about it and upsets my youngest daughter so I have to set an example.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My dog (Aus. Shepard/Black Lab mix) had a slow start wanting to ride in vehicles. She'd puke in the truck even on short drives. It took a few years before she was interested in riding but now if I even walk near the truck she'll be right beside me looking at the truck door waiting for it to open so she can get in.

She also loves to ride in the car, on the ATV (Rear cargo cage area) or in the RTV.

She now has no problems going for long trips without incident. Haven't put her in a car for 16 hours but she does perfectly fine on 5-6 hour trips.