• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This is why I'm a volunteer coach

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is why I am a volunteer coach ... My 2 best fencers were out sick and that little girl is Hannah, a freshman who lacks confidence. She stepped up today and beat a girl on one of the best teams in our conference. The other 2 did the same thing. That put us up 3-0 against a highly skilled team that, based on training and skill, could/should have shut us out.

In the photo of the 3 girls, the girl on the left, Jenna, another freshman, almost beat all 3 members of the opposing team in individual bouts. The girl on the right is Katlyn, a Junior who loves to fence but is a casual fencer, kept winning bouts all day. We ended up losing the overall matchup against this team but it was very close, close enough to scare the opposing coach. Just 2 touches separated us in the end. We "lost." But I won. These girls won respect from a top team. I was so happy for them I thought I was going to start crying. These 3 beat every other team the faced off against today; not a bad record for the day!

Attachments

• vNyu5tCXRSycQJCCE3KNQw.jpg
    vNyu5tCXRSycQJCCE3KNQw.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 7y+tUNG4RDG0lO7JgATwYg.jpg
    7y+tUNG4RDG0lO7JgATwYg.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 157

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would gladly coach a sport if the parents would just all stay the fuck away. The parents suck the fun out of everything.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would gladly coach a sport if the parents would just all stay the fuck away. The parents suck the fun out of everything.

One of the nicest things about Olympic style fencing is that parents know NOTHING about the sport and pretty much are a combination of amazed, silent and dumbfounded.

Not one time have I had a parent come close to criticizing me or even hearing of one doing so to one of the other coaches with which I am close friends. Parents have actually been very supportive and grateful. There are moms who show up at our events and bring the coaches Starbucks. Others send in food. Some bring me bourbon!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More good news!

One of my other kids qualified for the Junior Olympics.

So proud of her. Lexi is my captain, ranked as one of the top fencers in our high school conference, and soon to be a Junior Olympian.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in the newspaper and I didn't even have to commit a crime to get my photo published.

Attachments

• 26544020_526980584326504_1188567174_o.jpg
    26544020_526980584326504_1188567174_o.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 111