• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is foil boarding?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's nuts. Seems like that vertical 'stabilizer'(??) would be fighting to go left or right as opposed running straight, especially at slower speeds. I assume the foil has a dihedral to help fight this?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The International windsurfing called the Aloha Classic is now under way and Sno-Surfer placed third in the masters class.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You will need a plane ticket for this one, it's in Maui. Think they have 20 year old scotch thou.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That's nuts. Seems like that vertical 'stabilizer'(??) would be fighting to go left or right as opposed running straight, especially at slower speeds. I assume the foil has a dihedral to help fight this?

Unless I'm mistaken, the vertical strut is not the foil. The Foil is the winged keel under the strut.

On racing sail craft (catamarans) this Wing foil allows the same effect of bringing the board/hull off the water allowing fro higher speeds. However it requires constant corrections, by the helmsman, to maintain that narrow niche of performance. Kinda like sitting on a flagpole.

On large mono-hull sailboats, the "wing" allows them to point up into the wind a bit higher and to advance towards the wind direction as they sail thru the water.

Really fast and challenging sailboarding. Looks like fun!

Thanks for the post!

Sno-Surfer

So yes I'm fresh back from Maui after competing in the final event for the International Windsurfing Tour called the Aloha Classic. It's the longest running, most prestigious wave sailing event in our sport. I first did this event in the mid 90's and still doing it in both the Pro and Masters division. I'm not going to win the pro division these days but I still have a blast competing with them. The Masters division are all the old pros so it's also a very fun but competitive field. I somehow managed to get 3rd in the Master this year. It's not getting any easier and I'll need to get out and practice some more before next year but I sure have fun with it. Great bunch is sailors from all over the world.
Here are a couple of pics from it.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_9983.jpg

Brought in my cheering squad too.

Today I'm back working on the cat. Winter is here. Looking forward to a lot of fun this year with all the cool cats.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are trying to understand this? Can’t seem to get ourselves all the way “wrapped up in it”, but when we do, it should be the first vintage Tucker foil board ever.:brows:

Attachments

• 57EB40D2-5924-459A-A922-82F0D334D7AE.jpg
    57EB40D2-5924-459A-A922-82F0D334D7AE.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 462

Sno-Surfer

Thats fantastic! I think you're on to something. Foil boarding combined with sno cats, what could possibly be better?:biggrin:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of boarding Surfer brought home another snow Boarding award at the Full Sail Banked Slalom.

Sno-Surfer

Thanks Cidertom. I love to snowboard too and used to compete as a pro in the late 80’s before I decided to move to Maui and be a windsurfer. I still love to compete in the occasional Banked Slalom and race old friends. It’s a blast.
Here’s an article on last weekends fun.

https://yobeat.com/2018/04/16/mt-hood-meadows-hosts-12th-annual-full-sail-banked-slalom/

Davenet, good post on Kai Lenny. I’ve known him since he was born and he used to play on the beach next to where I lived on Maui. Absolutely a great kid and best waterman there is. He has a good gig. :thumbup:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, we have a true celebrity on FF. Kewl. :clap: :clap: :clap:

(I realize there might be more celebrities but this is the first one I noticed ...If others are here please speak up and let me know I am wrong.)