• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camp life

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks a lot like Old Mission peninsula, in Michigan.
I mean the way the water is clear with pebbles etc.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We hit the road yesterday for what was supposed to be a 3 hour drive around 11am. We stopped for lunch and to fill propane an hour into the drive.

That's when the first setback happened. I discovered that one of the hitch pins was missing from the scooter lift. Only thing that held it on was an anti rattle clamp. I found one at a Canadian tire down the road.

I didn't bother to fill up as I had 3/4 tank of gas thinking that the next town has gas an hour away. We got there and both gas stations were closed in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday.

Ok. On to the next town with a small service station. We get there and discover they no longer have a gas pump. Now I'm between a quarter and empty and still have 30 kms to go. We get going and I set the cruise on 75km in a 90 zone so as to save fuel. Not enough. We ran out with 10 km to go. Called caa and waited an hour for gas delivery on the side of the road. Ended up getting here at 5pm and all set up.
4b9a91c8a828c83b6b08f7fdbeb429ad.jpg
2fa916b1c423f0529ccd3e35bc5fb0ee.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why in the world would gas stations be closed on a thursday afternoon. Very strange. Horrible luck. Thank goodness for caa.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why in the world would gas stations be closed on a thursday afternoon. Very strange. Horrible luck. Thank goodness for caa.

Ditto very bizarre. I'm on the edge of rural/suburban area and its odd to ever see a gas station closed. Not sure what time they actually close at night but its well after I go to sleep. And as an early riser I've been past them before 6am and they are open at that time.

Yup, terrible luck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah well. I suppose worst things could happen. Good day today. We took the kiddies into town to do some light shopping. I took a drive to the next town over to pick up my long lost son for a visit with the family and to celebrate his 18th birthday. We had a HUGE bbq with everyone on my dads side of the family. First time in years everyone has been together.
1e933d9c3174f65508bad70d2f041602.jpg
28f9265d382f00ad9c7b0ff0b8efaf84.jpg
df5ccccef17a8dcfc565ced7c38e48a1.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It was nice. Only family members who didn't make it were a couple of cousins. Today we lay to rest my grandmother and uncle.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was nice. Only family members who didn't make it were a couple of cousins. Today we lay to rest my grandmother and uncle.

Great that so many were able to show up. We had our family picnic last weekend. I missed it. Honestly regret not going. I was "busy" with other things and now that I look back I realized those things were just excuses. I should have made the time.

Keep those memories of your family going by continuing to have these wonderful gatherings :clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Back home. Overall the maiden voyage went well with the yukon. I have a couple of modifications to make to the hitch setup before heading out for 3 weeks in August.

So far this month we have spent june 30th-july 9th in the camper then again July 13-17th. We'll be back at our seasonal site for a few weeks this friday then haul it home again August long weekend.
96a29f9ea5c0b1fd74b59ac56904dd8b.jpg
bb096aa1643b13066d06e4b2abe29c30.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So the thought occurred to me that some may wonder how someone with mobility problems can go on any kind of vacation with a camper. In short, here's how it's done.

First, I can't walk far. It depends on the day, the weather, and many other factors on how far I can walk or drive. So it helps to have a troop full of kids to do the heavy lifting such as carrying levelling blocks etc. My camper has a power tongue lift. So if you're strong enough to push a button you can hook up and unhook. My camper has manual levelling jacks. So, to solve that I put on a matching drill bit onto my cordless dewalt impact drill. Voila! Power jacks.

Now, as I said I struggle to walk more than 100ft most days. So rather than restricting myself I have a Bruno chariot scooter lift to go on the back of the vehicle or trailer. I now have the ability to bring my mobility scooter along on rv trips.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So part of the joys of camping is having a proper hitch setup for towing. Last summer when we did our trip out to Manitoba then down into the states, I had a 750lb tongue capacity hitch and bars. It did alright but was maxed out as the camper tongue weight is somewhere over 700lbs.

This spring, I decided to upgrade to a 1000lb hitch and bars. The hitch was more than adequate last weekend hauling in the hills going to geraldton. However, some adjustments were necessary. First, even at its lowest hole on the shank, the hitch was still a bit too high when hooked up. This made it a$$ heavy on the trailer which reduced tongue weight on the yukon making it unstable at anything over 100km with no wind or 85km with a side wind.

I had ordered a friction sway control this spring but didn't have time to install it. As well, the shank on the hitch had 6 holes. I was already on the bottom. So I picked up a new shank with 8 holes. Now the hitch sits about 2" lower. This should increase tongue weight and improve stability. I also installed the friction sway control bar. How it works is a small secondary ball is mounted to both the trailer frame and hitch head. The friction sway control bar mounts to both balls and is held on by two lock clips. I don't have the bars installed in the picture but you get the idea.
7c525a1ed2965f3b0ae6c5842c2a919d.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can fully understand how robin Williams felt in the movie RV. I brought the camper out to camp today. More on that later.

So I hooked the water up and went about my business. About 10 minutes later sewage started pouring out of the ceiling vent cap outside. Apparently I hooked up the water to the sewage tank cleaning system. Well, it started coming out the sewage vent pipe on the roof. I quickly went inside the bathroom to find sewage about to over flow the toilet. Instinctively I tried flushing the toilet. The whole bathroom was now covered in raw sewage.

I cleaned up the mess. Emptied the sewage tank. Hooked up the water to the right valve. And stood outside in the rain for a bit to shower off. Yes. Today was a shitty day.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You got that right. I just washed the camper yesterday. Now there's shit on the roof and running down the outside wall.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice quiet weekend at camp. Went to the beach this afternoon with friends. Tried out the new kayak. It goes well in the water.
39a5be8a8c04295ddadb493201850316.jpg
321be787a8b0c4ec0078bb410057ed65.jpg
e4aaf0cfef339209f7d934e9e357640e.jpg
c68db7eac6cdbe6ca67eac1c0c3f4bbb.jpg
f0f243716d3caffb0c778da4f0323e32.jpg
2b9363945a7f5879c205ad49234baff1.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went out hunting this morning with 2 of the kids and my lovely wife. First time she held/fired a gun. Started her off with the .22. Then a shot with the 12 gauge for comparison. We only got one bird but it's more about the adventure. We can go right from camp with the atvs.
96f96e6103bf5b31d4de085b59b40887.jpg
ef6ec5114d2287ecebe055ce4da40fa8.jpg
0d4d521a420d1637bf2752cbf494fc2a.jpg
4de596fac1b973de8114d1edf187c991.jpg
09ee1b7c37707b378202527b16b6a26f.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How quickly time flies and things change. We were wearing shorts last weekend at camp. Now, it's long pants and sweaters as temps are only a couple degrees above freezing. We are nearing the end of the season here. Next weekend is our thanksgiving. We'll be celebrating with friends out here with a huge potluck turkey dinner. The following day we close up camp for the year. I still plan on a few adventures though with the side by side until snow flies. Today is my wife's birthday. We are celebrating it at camp and will be taking the side by side and atv out in the bush to chase down some birds.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today has been an up and down day at camp. First I was up at 4am in pain. After Pampering my lovely wife for her birthday with breakfast in bed, we had plans to go hunting with both the moto and the Polaris. Went to move the Polaris and one wheel wasn't spinning. Broken axle. Lovely. So I took our oldest son out hunting alone instead. Get back from hunting and found out a buddy of mine was on his Harley and tboned a car. He's in intensive care. Just happened. No idea on his condition.

f9bd9e22bb106be574544c3ec5aaeece.jpg
a239c916540af1ba2de58ccd3199df67.jpg
c15b6750d95e06c3f5990c23ac8264e4.jpg

c56cea347cc0d5e2bfaa6344e280ff52.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been a great weekend at camp so far. I went out hunting for birds twice yesterday. Capped it off with a few drinks around the fire. This is thanksgiving weekend so we are out one extra night tonight. This evening we are having a HUGE potluck thanksgiving dinner with our camp family. Estimates are around 40 adults and kids.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanksgiving dinner at camp was a huge success. One of the turkeys was even cooked in an antique wood fired oven.
41c001c2af7e14ab485fd0af9a77b6cd.jpg
b7f33130c49135de9d285f34d34b73e7.jpg
f74c9e5ab90725b553f87dbec65677f1.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
And......that brings us to the end of another camp season. We've been working our butts off packing groceries stripping beds etc all morning and loading up both vehicles to come home. I will still have to go out next week sometime to change a back axle on the Polaris sportsman 700 and cover the boat, remove batteries etc. Hot water and water system is drained and winterized with rv antifreeze. We are aiming for mid April depending on the weather before getting back out there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One final picture of camp from this year. All closed up for the next 6 months. I headed out this morning after the kids were gone. It took me two hours to change the axle on the atv. Then built a ridgepole for the boat and tarped it. Next was the "honey do" list that my lovely wife provided. All batteries removed and brought home to live in the heated garage. I'm beat.
73f2db4babfee7fc096d4c4abcd5452e.jpg
9fda30d0410fb0109ca64a745569f6a6.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok. So one more picture of camp this year. Only 3 weeks ago I was out there closing up for the winter. Now in spots there's a foot of snow. I brought the side by side out to store for the winter. No need to have it taking up room in the driveway. Same with the flatdeck trailer. Funny how camp is only an hour away and has that much snow. In the city I can still rake the lawn if I wanted.
318a5a218206e2d9a665bdb564ee4f41.jpg
e77939ce3c13882a7d9c5bd72adb2bcc.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I took a drive out to check on things and bring in the side by side yesterday. The snow is mostly gone so it'll be a couple more weeks before we can start camping. I have to bring the cfmoto in for a quick warranty job (side panel had a scratch from factory so they're going to replace it. Then I'll bring it back out and bring in the boat.
2f43d5119006796da7ce2e0988fa7ce6.jpg
de1df814f9867423052a25bae3013805.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Next week I will bring the side by side back out then haul in the camper to get a couple warranty items dealt with. One awning arm needs replacing and an interior moulding is coming off.

When I get the camper back out there, the next thing to come into town is the boat.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went to camp today to bring back the camper and set it up for the summer. Hauled the boat into town. This weekend my lovely wife is taking our 3 foster children out while I head off for a boys weekend with the two oldest boys and my dad for our annual fishing trip. Our friend from Michigan is also coming up.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I loaded up the truck camper and headed out with my son for some family time at our annual fishing camp last weekend. I've been going to the same place every year all my life. My grampa took my dad there all his life every year. My dad took us. We take our kids. It's just an old clay pit leftover from when that section of road was built a long time ago. We launch the boat off the side of the road. No fancy launch. Basically roughing it. It's an annual tradition.

The fishing was excellent. Great memories.
Our friend from Michigan came up again for his 58th year in a row.
d1f53cafa1f5f86aea73a1d0318509f2.jpg
32491e9974e0937497a4e2c351730499.jpg
3c3df758a1463d881ea9276bf027d55b.jpg
98b179bcf87353facc809b509abd7969.jpg
08087c3f932e591776bd225d6ad3efaf.jpg
c9b9a1f7d867045bdafdc6de719c1550.jpg