• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

State Department's decision to force foreign service

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
WASHINGTON - Several hundred U.S. diplomats vented anger and frustration Wednesday about the State Department's decision to force foreign service officers to take jobs in Iraq, with some likening it to a "potential death sentence."

In a contentious hour-long "town hall meeting" called to explain the step, these workers peppered the official who signed the order with often hostile complaints about the largest diplomatic call-up since Vietnam. Announced last week, it will require some diplomats - under threat of dismissal -- to serve at the embassy in Baghdad and in so-called Provincial Reconstruction Teams in outlying provinces.
Many expressed serious concern about the ethics of sending diplomats against their will to serve in a war zone, where the embassy staff is largely confined to the so-called "Green Zone," and the safety outside the area is uncertain while a review of the department's use of private security contractors to protect its staff is under way.
"Incoming is coming in every day, rockets are hitting the Green Zone," said Jack Crotty, a senior foreign service officer who once worked as a political adviser with NATO forces.
Employees directly confronted Foreign Service Director General Harry Thomas, who approved the move to so-called "directed assignments" late last Friday to make up for a lack of volunteers to go to Iraq.
"It's one thing if someone believes in what's going on over there and volunteers, but it's another thing to send someone over there on a forced assignment," Crotty said. "I'm sorry, but basically that's a potential death sentence and you know it. Who will raise our children if we are dead or seriously wounded?"
"You know that at any other (country) in the world, the embassy would be closed at this point," Crotty said to loud and sustained applause from the about 300 diplomats who attended the meeting in a large State Department auditorium.
Thomas responded by saying the comments were "filled with inaccuracies" but did not elaborate until challenged by the head of the diplomats' union, the American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), who like Crotty and others, demanded to know why many learned of the decision from news reports.
Thomas took full responsibility for the late notification but objected when AFSA President John Naland said that a recent survey found that only 12 percent of the union's membership believed Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was "fighting for them."
"That's their right but they're wrong," Thomas said, prompting a testy exchange.
"Sometimes if it's 88 to 12, maybe the 88 percent are correct," Naland said. "88 percent of the country believed in slavery at one time, was that correct?" shot back Thomas, who is black, in a remark that drew boos from the crowd. "Don't you or anybody else stand there and tell me I don't care about my colleagues. I am insulted," he added.

They talk the talk but cant walk the walk!!!! Two faced sons of bitches!!:soapbox:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
"Incoming is coming in every day, rockets are hitting the Green Zone," ...basically that's a potential death sentence and you know it. ..."You know that at any other (country) in the world, the embassy would be closed at this point," Crotty said to loud and sustained applause from the about 300 diplomats who attended the meeting in a large State Department auditorium.
They talk the talk but cant walk the walk!!!! Two faced sons of bitches!!
Who do you mean by 'they'? These career International Relations analysts study what's going on, and say it's a deathtrap. Condoleezza and her chiefs who don't have to live over there ignore these guys who know what they are talking about, and say everything's fine. The Commander in Chief declared 'Mission Accomplished!' years ago, based on a political need at home to show progress, rather than based on the conclusions of these same analysts.

Somebody's lying. I don't think it's the career civil servants who are supposed to give unbiased analysis, based on real field observations, now matter what administration is in power. And they are saying 'No Way is that place safe!' - even behind the barricade, in the Green Zone. Even with Blackwater guarding them 24/7.

In other words the king has no clothes, there's no security anywhere in Baghdad, if these career Foreign Service officers know what they are talking about. And if they don't we're in even worse trouble than I thought.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bunch of whinners! Did I whine when my job required me to climb a 40 foot pole in gaffs? NO! How about the Gozila poles the phone company put in to clear a new highway zone. NO and that was over 60 feet in gaffs. Those were potential death zones! Hell most of my work was high risk. It was my job. I did it and didnt complain. Was I ever scared? You bet but you do your job and get it done. OOHHH there cushy Washington office job is going to change for a few months. BFD!