• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB nice 4+ person cat with a blade.

Aaron Tucker

Hi i'm looking to buy a nice snowcat that can haul my family for catskiing ,preferiable with a blade and can seat 4+ people .
I have 20-30k cash to spend and I can pick up anywhere in the U.S.

show me what you got ..............:brows::biggrin:

They want 45k at snowtrans for the lmc 1500. I have a lead on another one for 25k but it is a rust bucket .

Yea I never know what they what price wise.

I bought a LMC 1800 owned by the Coast Guard on Kodiak Island for $3000 once. Put a whole knew perspective on rust bucket. It ran and drove fine with very low hours but I couldn't sell it fast enough.

I think if you are patient enough you will find a nice cat in your price range but I would steer away from rusty or broken crap.:wink:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where are you going cat skiing where you need (or are allowed to use) a blade? I had the Forest Service tell me not to make roads on Vail Pass when I had a cat with a blade up there. Looks to me like there are several nice thiokols on Denver craigslist. Are you stuck on Tuckers?

Aaron Tucker

We mostly go to Vail pass. I'd like to use a blade there to build some big jumps . We also got to Montezuma aka little Alaska . I need a blade at Zuma to be able to make a road and get to the top.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
They want 45k at snowtrans for the lmc 1500. I have a lead on another one for 25k but it is a rust bucket .

Aaron, If that's the one listed on ksl.com you might find this thread interesting:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=72033&highlight=jjkane

As the guy who started the thread you'll see my comments at the top as well as several posts from other members. Forum member tomelroy also inspected the machines and provided his thoughts. You'll also see a new name: "Dummyfatpigpoo" who was the winning bidder. He also posted.

Note that the auction was in August of 2015, the machines have been listed on ksl.com almost continuously since...and some are still for sale...

Aaron Tucker

Yes those are the ones I was looking at . Have sine found some others for a decent price .still waiting to here back about a Tucker that I'm interested in.still looking

teamster

I tried calling the guy and left him a message. Answering machine says he's an outfitter, may be busy this time of year. If I get any kind of response I'll let you know. If you get a hold of him, and I can be of any assistance (I'm here in Alberta) let me know.

Aaron Tucker

Haha that nice to hear but I couldn't ask you to do that.I mit just have to risk the drive and hope for the best.He owns a lodge so hopefully he's honest .

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Haha that nice to hear but I couldn't ask you to do that.I mit just have to risk the drive and hope for the best.He owns a lodge so hopefully he's honest .

i would be headed north by now, canadians are a good bunch of folks, good luck, think this is the cat of your dreams...

Red130

For what's its worth, I can tell you first hand that in USFS Region 2 (includes Colorado) that as soon as you drop a blade (or a tiller or a compactor bar) you are moving from over-the-snow travel to either "building road" or "grooming".

We groom cross-country ski trails for a Nordic Club, and are currently waiting on USFS analysis/decision as to whether we can groom a section of road that is regularly used by snowmobiles, but is not groomed by a snowmobile club. I can travel that road in our snowcat, but using a blade or dropping an implement is whole different ballgame in the eyes of the Forest Service. This particular road is already compacted most of the winter (so from a common sense standpoint what difference does it make?) but it is the use of machine that changes the regulatory situation. If anyone cares I can go into the background, it has to do with an agreement that USFS Region 2 reached with US Fish and Wildlife Service over Canada lynx.

From a practical standpoint, I believe they might cut me some slack if all I did was knock down one or two drifts on my way in or out, or if using the blade merely to create a safe place to turn around. A threshold here is probably on the scale of something you could dig by hand (with considerable time/effort), and building a jump might be in that category, but I have no experience with the law enforcement folks on the White River NF, other than running into those guys who patrol from Vail Pass.

Are the people you've dealt with there pretty reasonable?

Aaron Tucker

Red130

I actually helped with the study of the Canadian lynx and the way they use the groomed trail system . I know white river staff and the head ranger John very well.We have been first response for a couple incidents. John and his staff are very relaxed. They are there to make sure no one dies and everyone has fun. you should ave no problem building jumps and taking out drifts . they just dont want anyone building a road to somewhere they have to go rescue.

on another note I bought a snowcat and the search is over .

Thank you to everyone that helped me out . I know I bothered alot of people and took up there time . this cat community is strong like a brother hood .

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
For what's its worth, I can tell you first hand that in USFS Region 2 (includes Colorado) that as soon as you drop a blade (or a tiller or a compactor bar) you are moving from over-the-snow travel to either "building road" or "grooming".

We groom cross-country ski trails for a Nordic Club, and are currently waiting on USFS analysis/decision as to whether we can groom a section of road that is regularly used by snowmobiles, but is not groomed by a snowmobile club. I can travel that road in our snowcat, but using a blade or dropping an implement is whole different ballgame in the eyes of the Forest Service. This particular road is already compacted most of the winter (so from a common sense standpoint what difference does it make?) but it is the use of machine that changes the regulatory situation. If anyone cares I can go into the background, it has to do with an agreement that USFS Region 2 reached with US Fish and Wildlife Service over Canada lynx.

I'm curious as to the background, details and the USFS rules. Could you please explain.

Aaron Tucker

Well we went against some people's better knowledge.
Bought a 1953 743 Tucker freighter.

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_174513.jpg
    IMG_20161113_174513.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20161113_174827.jpg
    IMG_20161113_174827.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 218

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats. Where did you find such a rig? Looks nice from the pic and seems to have had been somewhat loved over its life.