• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Secret to putting tracks on?

Manistee

I am trying to put the track back on my DMC 1450 and the track jacks keep slipping off. The first track went on without too much difficulty but the second is being a real stinker. The inner band seems to be tighter than the outer one and the jack keeps slipping off as I try to align the lacing before putting the pin in. Have debated about tying the jack down to the track with rope, but figured it a good idea to ask here first.

Am a bit nervous about how the one end of the jacks pulls on the tracks as well. The hooked end goes into the open edge of the grouser, causing it to roll over a bit instead of pulling against the bottom edge. Do not know if I am using the proper jacks as these are borrowed from where I purchased the machine and they do not know if they are the original jacks or not. Have attached a pic of the jacks collapsed all the way down. The ends are not as wide as the bands so sit on top of them.

Is this correct? Any helpful suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCF2753.jpg
    DSCF2753.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 360

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a modified handy man jack and hook several grousers back from each side of the lacing

Manistee

Mbsieg - It could be a Tucker track jack, have never seen a picture of one of those, or of a proper Thiokol/DMC track jack.

Don - I have been hooking at least two grousers back from the lacing, but cannot go any further back than two on one side and three on the other because the jacks do not have any more adjustment than that.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that should work I normally break track up by the front road wheel. that's because that's how it works best with my handyman setup. in a few instances I have had to hook a come along to the inner or outer to make things move into place. my inner belts are shorter ,as you have all the torque applied to the inner belts, and the outers are there for floatation and support. therefore you can get several inner belt changes to one outer change. worst case you dump the grease on the track adjuster it should be easy to put them on

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
shit it just dawned has happened the tension created by the left track being n has your axle cocked. put a come along on the axle tube and pull it back than your track should just slip on.

Manistee

Before starting to install the tracks I pulled the zerk from the track adjusters and used a jack to push the adjusters all the way in until the front idlers are against the frame. Am going to try dropping one side of the hooks on the track jacks off the inside edge of the belts, so the straight edge bears against the grousers. Hopefully this will give a more even pull, keeping the grousers from tipping and preventing the jacks from slipping off. Did not think this would be so difficult, have not put enough tension on the tracks yet to even lift them off the top of the bogies.

Had wanted to have this completed back in July when the weather was much nicer. The front idlers needed to be re-cast, so took them off and got quotes from several places who all wanted as much to re-cast as it would cost for new wheels. Decided to buy new instead and was told by a supplier they had new ones almost ready to go and they could ship in a couple weeks. That was in mid-July, it was not until the end of September that they actually shipped. It was a couple weeks before I could get to it and put the new idlers on because I had to wait for new bearings to be ordered and shipped. While prepping the bearings I discovered there was a problem with the machining of the idlers, so called the supplier and they offered to replace them at their cost. I could've corrected the problem myself, but elected to accept their offer so I could continue working on other things. Now, between work and a record cold and snowy month of November, I find myself working on this in December cold. The joys of playing with old toys, what is wrong with me that I enjoy this stuff?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The joys of playing with old toys, what is wrong with me that I enjoy this stuff?

What ever is wrong with you is suffered by most all of us here....:ermm:

Some how we manage how to live with it, rather than search for a cure!:yum::yum:

Heated shops help out alot as well.:flowers:

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I think if you look at the adjuster you will find its pulled away by pressure on the other side. I always have this problem with mine a come along or jack to pull your adjuster axle back tight will help you out a lot. I know your pin as I have both cold up here and short days so I find my self working in the dark to

Manistee

Got the track on! Dropping the one side of the jack over the inside edges of the belts did the trick nicely. Slipped the pins in and installed new hardened nylock nuts, then pumped up the adjusters slightly to give about 1/2" clearance between the idlers and the frame. Will run the machine a bit before adjusting track tension any more.

Don, the idler on this side is slightly cocked after looking at it, but not sure there is much I can do about it. The adjuster on this is one square tube sliding inside another and the spindle welded to the side of the sliding arm. They gave me the folder of all work performed on the machine when I purchased it and it shows they had re-welded this spindle/axle after it had been cracked a few years ago. If it proves to be a problem I may have to cut it off to straighten it properly, but it will have to stay this way for now as I don't really want to pull the track again. It would mean I would likely not be able to run it for most of the winter this year.

Could not run it last year because of bad idlers and it needing some repairs, so have never put it on the snow. Am really looking forward to playing with it a bit this winter after doing the repairs this past year. I do have a heated shop, but it is not big enough to pull this machine into it, maybe someday I will have more indoor, heated space. Am currently working on it under a 10'x20' tent, with 3 walls, set up alongside my shop.