• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seeking Snow Trac info and Kristy sighting.

R

Reddog

Any cat ride that does not end with a snowshoe hike back to the truck brings smiles all around....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Reddog,

I think you now know the attraction some of us have for the Snow Trac machines. Ease of operation, good reliability, and light weight. All coupled with a unique and very efficient drive train. Really what is not to like? Oh yea you cann't spot turn...

Regards, Kirk

utahwilson

I noticed a remote cooler on your fender.do you have a newer dual port engine?

was told when I bought it that the engine was rebuilt and bored out to 1835cc. Seemed to be running hot so I put on the oil cooler and appears to help.

R

Reddog

How many teeth are on the rear driver on the variator?

I crammed my head in the engine compartment and used a laser pointer. Best bet I can come up with is 11 or 12, probably 11. 11 on the little end and 30 on the big end gets me about 2.73 to one. According to this per Lyndon:

The Big Sprockets in the engine compartment came in 36, 38, and 42 tooth combinations. The Small chain sprockets on the Variator came in 11, 12, and 15 tooth combinations. Standard oin a Snow Trac is 12's and 38's. Standard on a Trac Master or Snow Master is 11's & 42's. The difference is roughly 3:1 versus 4:1. This also directly correlates to why Snow Trac's usually have 3 times the miles as hours, and the "Masters" have closer to a 2 times per hour ratio. The machine I tried with the high ratio was lacking in torque at the high end. Just too much track. I had to drop back to lower ratios. It was a Trac Master with at 1776 CC, roughly 90 HP engine. In all one can get 9 possible combinations out of the 3 & 3 gear offering. It is also possible to get a variety of different gearing out of the Transaxels. ST4's were normally shipped with VW Bus Transaxels which have lower gearing than Bug Transaxels. Top speed according to the factory literature in a "Master" is 13.5 MPH, 22 in a Snow Trac. I was able to get over 25 on my 1963 Snow Trac that had the original 36/40 HP 1192 CC engine, on an ice covered road, and a good 30+ MPH out of a Snow Trac with a 1600, 53 HP Motor.

That setup puts me in the ST gearing range. I was running it at about 2200, but read some folks run 3000+ RPM. If she will cruise comfortably at 15 MPH, in decent snow conditions, I'll be more than happy.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
at 4 k im running 15 at 5 k I run 19 mph I have plenty of power I would have liked to see 25 at 4 k

R

Reddog

Idle hands and using up some stuff I had around:

P1050888.JPG

And a link to it in action!

http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/1967snowtrac940/P1050887.MOV

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I see you too have a twin sonic light bar I hope you have an alternator the little generator won't keep up with the draw on that. looks like you have plans to set it up with a chicken band radio

R

Reddog

It came with the CB. I got the TwinSonic off of a AWD van the county had that I bought a while back. Pretty cool rig, dual front diffs, 2 front driveshafts and IFS.
I don't plan to run the beacon much, and I don't think the wig/wag flashers will draw much. Just had it and some time on my hands today....:w00t2: