• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seeking Snow Trac info and Kristy sighting.

R

Reddog

I can't get my pointed head into that spot. I'll try to count them tomorrow.

So I got the brakes bled, adjusted and working. Adjusted the chains and tracks. Engine turns out o be a 1600cc dual port with the 009 distributor and a spin on oil filter mod. Runs well.

I took it out for a spin in the parking lot across the street. Shifts thru all the gears and drives well. Planning on a New Years Day maiden voyage.

R

Reddog

this is the speedo hookup
speedohookup.jpg

Thanks for the picture. It confirms that the speedo drive is missing off of my rig. Since it has been revealed that my rig is a Snow Master, and has outboard brakes, maybe the setup is different, but still no hookup in sight.
Bummer....:doh:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In regards to history of the machine.... no clue.
However with that said, I think i may have inquired about that machine a few years ago. I think Cascade auto had the machine on contract. I spent some time discussing the machine with DDS....

I built a speed o connection for a ST4, dont over think it is very simple. I jammed a spring onto the axle, then wittled a wood block to accept a Random speed o cable in the other end of the spring.

I had to disassemble my speedo and rebuild it to get it to work smooth.
Speed o cable was from a Scout. standard square drive on both ends.

I went at it very simple and crude as a learning experience. Now that it works I never seem to make the time to upgrade..... I can snap a photo if you desire.

enjoy your new ride.
Mike

R

Reddog

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I thought the drive would have some sort of gear reduction like on a conventional transmission attachment, but if it is just a direct drive off of the big drive sprocket, I think i can craft something that will work. I mounted a GPS yesterday that should work until I get the OE unit back in shape.
Overall the rig is responding well to love and attention. Spent yesterday welding a few cracked grousers, sorting out a few poor grounds that were causing some lighting issues, cleaning and polishing. She is starting to look as good as she runs.
After looking a little closer and conferring with Don, it appears that a PO at some time decided to cut the longer grousers off to the ST width. Don says this is not an uncommon practice to narrow the rig for trailering. I guess the up side is that if I want to return it to a wider track, I have less work ahead than if I had to replace every grouser, but finding the needed grousers may prove to be difficult. I guess it
s like Mom used to say, "Never cut what you can untie"....
This rig, like many it seems, is missing the under engine tin. Any opinions on fabbing one and putting it back in place?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Reddog the only tin on mine is the air scoop. I drilled holes in the belly pan and removed they transition plate between the body and belly pan. I now have plenty of area for heat to escape and have never had overheating issues even during the summer the one thing I would like to add is a shield across the front of the engine to keep snow off the distributor when running in blowing snow

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have about the same .no deflector just the vw engine tin and floor holes.

R

Reddog

Been too busy polishing...

P1050873.JPG

Hope to get her out tomorrow for a shakedown cruise!

utahwilson

Gorgeous! I have a spring on order to fix my left fron axle assembly. Figured I would give it one more shot before I go with the big wheel conversion. Looks like the front fender is one piece? Good luck on your maiden voyage. It has been 3 years since I have driven mine, but when I did it was a blast. Especially, pulling into the parking lot with all the other snowcats and snowmobies, my snowcat definetly got the most attention. :brows:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0IG8DrZIHM"]P1020154 - YouTube[/ame]

utahwilson

I have a trackmaster and it appears it is in two sections. Outside piece was not there when i picked it up. Inside fender has holes where I assume the outside piece would bolt to. However, there are no holes in the piece that folds down.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 231
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 235
R

Reddog

If I were to guess, I'd say someone put snowtrac fenders on your trackmaster like someone put snow trac tracks on my snow master...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought my master was (cut) down as my machine looks like utahs.
RD:
I am thinking you have a master with just the outside belts cut off. the snow trac st4 tracks are shorter than trac or master or 4b tracs.

R

Reddog

I agree. I can see where the wide grousers have been cut off in slightly different lengths and angles. If I keep the rig long enough to consider re-belting it, I think I will just make the belts extend beyond the wide grouser by 1/2 to 1 inch and call it good. Currently the grousers extend beyond the belting by about that amount.

The tag on the dash of my machine says ST4, would that sound right for a TM/SM??

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree. I can see where the wide grousers have been cut off in slightly different lengths and angles. If I keep the rig long enough to consider re-belting it, I think I will just make the belts extend beyond the wide grouser by 1/2 to 1 inch and call it good. Currently the grousers extend beyond the belting by about that amount.

The tag on the dash of my machine says ST4, would that sound right for a TM/SM??

Is there a "B" behind that ?

ST4B ?

R

Reddog

A B, or not a B, that is the question....
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
No B, just ST and 000940 or 00940, but no "B"

Last edited:

Cletis

That machine appears to be in very good shape. When your done polishing your rig. I have a pu and a jeep that needs done!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey doug the tag should be on the rear passenger side of the machine. Outside the rig.

ST 4's back boggie wheel did not extend off the rear of the machine.

ST-4B's whether a TM or SM did. I am guessing yours is a master with a ST4 tag on it.
FWIW
I know nothing.... Just guessing.

Mike

R

Reddog

No tag outside, just on the RH side of the dash inside. No doubt that it's a SM/TM as others have pointed out. I am inclined to believe that mine was specially built for 007 and the mis-matched tag is a matter of National security.
As far as contract polishing goes , I still got stuff of my own to polish, so you are out of luck....

Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
No tag outside, just on the RH side of the dash inside. No doubt that it's a SM/TM as others have pointed out. I am inclined to believe that mine as specially built for 007 and the mis-matched tag is a matter of National security.
As far as contract polishing goes , I still got stuff of my own to polish, so you are out of luck....

Nope only Big Al has the super secret stealth starting 007 machine what he does not know when he was Panama this year a special ops team snuck in an switched all his plug wires around right after they copied all the super secret stealth features he had installed, see its a part of a new program to save fuel they figure that the KT7 does the best on the trailer and that way he won't hurt the mating cycle of a spotted owls :brows:

Had another thought don't know if anybody remembers Grizzly Adams the show but Jack the old mountain man had a mule
And he was #7 just like Big ALS KT7 had a hell of time getting him to go also always threaten that # 8 was coming soon:yum:

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed a remote cooler on your fender.do you have a newer dual port engine?

R

Reddog

Looks like a good rig. Will be interesting to see what it goes for....

R

Reddog

Sounds like a "online bidding" fee would take the "good" out of some good deals....:bonk:

bavarian

Sounds like a "online bidding" fee would take the "good" out of some good deals....:bonk:

You're absolutely right! It's a pretty rich premium on top of the final value. Once I drag the thing across the border into Kanuckistan there would be more taxes still.
Have to bide my time for a rig for sale up here...

R

Reddog

So finally we got the crew together and headed out for a shakedown cruise

_MG_5226.jpg

Not tons of snow, but enough to get an idea of how she runs and handles

_MG_5229.jpg

All went well. Ran great, no hiccups, Probably going to fiddle with the steering wheel a some, seems to rub on the shaft housing a little. I may have tightened it more than it is used to. Otherwise, seems to be ready to head into the backcountry.

Very cool steering system. I had a chance to traverse a slope that would have given the LMC fits. Very nice to not have to drag a brake to stay on the slope. Also was able to turn uphill without any drama or loss of power. Like I said, not very challenging snow conditions, but enough to get an idea of what the machine was about....

I never got my pointed head into position to count the teeth on the small sprocket. She seems to be very happy to cruise at 10 MPH on the flats in third at about 2100 RPM. If it is geared a little lower than a ST, I think that may be a blessing at our altitude.

Thanks to all who have helped out with this project thus far. Of the cats I have owned so far, this one seems to be my favorite. At least today...