• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seeking Snow Trac info and Kristy sighting.

R

Reddog

Any thoughts on foam filling? I know the pros and cons, but in light recreational use, is it really very important?
The ST came with new 3.50-16 motorcycle tires to replace the 3.50-16 Cheng-Shin MC tires that are currently on it. I imagine they are lighter ply rating than the OE units. In this case, I can see foam filling as another big advantage.
Any thoughts??

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Any thoughts on foam filling? I know the pros and cons, but in light recreational use, is it really very important?
The ST came with new 3.50-16 motorcycle tires to replace the 3.50-16 Cheng-Shin MC tires that are currently on it. I imagine they are lighter ply rating than the OE units. In this case, I can see foam filling as another big advantage.
Any thoughts??
The factory tires weren't much more than a bald motor cycle tire alpine guide makes a 4.50x 16 tire that will work. and is pretty much bullet proof there is no weight on the rear tire it just floats and tensions the track. I see no need to add weight just so I don't have to check air pressure.

R

Reddog

The factory tires weren't much more than a bald motor cycle tire....
Pretty much what I had thought. I think I will just go with air to begin with and see how it goes. The added weight seemed like a waste since the ST is so comparatively light to begin with.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember seeing on this fourm a few MC tires that were in pretty bad shape.

R

Reddog

Heading off this AM to hopefully pick up the ST. I will post pics when I get her home.

R

Reddog

Got her home and off the trailer. Seems to run and move well, no brakes...
If anyone recognizes this rig, let me know. I'm interested in some of the history.
P1050856.JPG

and a few more pics...

http://ImageEvent.com/reddog/1967snowtrac940

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
give us the number. that brass boggie is off an st4b. But that is good. Did he have a parts one?
after looking closer it looks like a st4b.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that's a narrowed down snow master I have seen the pics before can't remember where it does have the rare brass boggie also the tracks look a little loose the front wheel should be off the ground. the reason the rear tire looks small is be cause it extends out past the rear by about 12 inches. other wise looks well cared for.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
that's a narrowed down snow master I have seen the pics before can't remember where it does have the rare brass boggie also the tracks look a little loose the front wheel should be off the ground. the reason the rear tire looks small is be cause it extends out past the rear by about 12 inches. other wise looks well cared for.

Look at this picture, look at the distance between the top of the tire guide and the wheel. Also the top flatness of the track.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 138

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes the tracks are way loose......

I agree the rear wheel just looks smallish. too much gap to the fender for it to be corrrect IMHO. IF the track tensioners are all the way out that would explain why.....

Other wise it looks ok....

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the snow master runs a longer track frame and generally uses 3 boggie wheels in the rear rocker assemble I only see 2 in that one .

R

Reddog

Looks like the rear rocker has a place for a middle bogie. I thought the front fenders looked wide for the machine. Think I should install a middle bogie on the rear?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if the tracks are narrowed it must have been working that way. why not give it a try??
can you post a rearend picture?

R

Reddog

I don't think that is my rig, but setup is the same...although the hitch on that one and mine look the same. Is that a ST vs. SM difference??
Supposedly this one was owned by someone from Texas who has a second home in Telluride.
In the original pics, the rear tires and all bogies were flat. With new rear tires on and all bogies filled up, tracks look much better! I'll post a pic or two tomorrow.
I think the rig would function fine with 2 of 3 rear bogies, but since I have one extra tire/wheel assembly and several new bogie tires, I might as well find another one and run 3.
Tomorrow we shall see is adding fluid and bleeding will give us brakes.
Stay tuned....

R

Reddog

I think this thread my need to move to another area. Repairs? Mods? Suggestions?
But as long as I have you here, should the steering wheel caster back to straight ahead or do I need to do that myself??
And did this beast come with an e-brake? I see cables, but no lever/handle/engagement gizmo...

R

Reddog

And a couple more questions:

Speedometer-I see a cable, or a cable housing. Did this go into the tranny?

Engine-Seems to be a later model VW with conventional "bug style" heater boxes, this is non-OE...correct?

Tracks-Belting is tired, but servicable. Since it seems I have a SM with cut down tracks, what are thoughts about going back to full on SM tracks or trying to add a couple inches to each side of the tracks? Wider than now, but not as wide as OE SM tracks. I know the grousers will be an issue to deal with. Are these available or is this a "do it yourself" fabrication project?

Chain tension- Mine are currently very tight in my mind. Basically no slack at all. Is this correct or should I back the adjusters off a little to allow a little slack?

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speedo cable is supposed to attach to the left final drive gear infront of the engine.

Not sure about your heater boxes other than they are different than a car has.

Grousers will be THE issue... Hard to find, especially for the ST4B's...

Yes back off the chain tension a bit. This is done on the out side of the machine inboard of the brake hubs and track drive gears. Check your track tension after, as it will change when you adjust the drive chains.

You need a manual and a parts book. I think both are here on the forum somewhere.

Good luck, Kirk

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a thought:

My recollection is the Snow Tracs are geared higher than Snow Masters or Track Masters making the Snow Tracs faster. When this machine's tracks were narrowed was the gearing changed?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a thought:

My recollection is the Snow Tracs are geared higher than Snow Masters or Track Masters making the Snow Tracs faster. When this machine's tracks were narrowed was the gearing changed?

Very good point. 11 tooth driving 32 tooth I believe is the stock for a standard ST4. Snow masters are different, just not sure how. They give up about 6 mph in top speed...

My guess is that they run a smaller front sprocket as the driver is about at the limit of size for the application.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:
R

Reddog

Just counted, looks like 30 teeth on the front sprocket.
So much for my plans to set the world land speed record for a snow trac....