• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Add that to the bill!!!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Well the upper radiator hose decided to spring a leak on me, so it needs replacing or I just need to keep topping the tank. To do the hose, both belts (serp. and H2O pump) and the H2O pump it will run me around $150 at NAPA. Not too bad, and it's to be expected on a car with the miles mine has. I reckon I'll get to replacing and keep her on the road for another year :clap:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well the upper radiator hose decided to spring a leak on me, so it needs replacing or I just need to keep topping the tank. To do the hose, both belts (serp. and H2O pump) and the H2O pump it will run me around $150 at NAPA. Not too bad, and it's to be expected on a car with the miles mine has. I reckon I'll get to replacing and keep her on the road for another year :clap:

As long as you can do it yourself, it is not bad. Paying a mechanic would set you back big time.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh I can do it. But I think I'm gonna put it off for a bit, and just seal where the leak is for now, it's not too bad.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why would a leak in the upper radiator hose suggest the need for a new water pump and belts?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't put off fixing a coolant leak. It is a lot easier than head gasket to repair.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Why would a leak in the upper radiator hose suggest the need for a new water pump and belts?

Well, the belts are original and by milewage should have been done many moons prior, and the water pump (also original) is a known issue in these cars, so if I'm in there, I might as well do it so I don't have to get in there again.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't put off fixing a coolant leak. It is a lot easier than head gasket to repair.

Eh, I'll get to it eventually. Right now I got other financial priorities like getting the damn thing paid for. Oh, and keeping the lights on at home :yum:

I'll have it done within the month. It's not a straightfoward easy job. Nothing is on this car besides an oil change, and even that poses issues due to the oil filter being located above the cat, so you burn the fuck out of yourself if you ain't careful.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the belts are original and by milewage should have been done many moons prior, and the water pump (also original) is a known issue in these cars, so if I'm in there, I might as well do it so I don't have to get in there again.

I would replace just the hose if I was short on cash and the other items were operating. Keep my eye on the belts or replace them. As Muley says, a water leak can lead to much larger problems quickly.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, money ain't entirely the issue, it's time. It's an involved job that I really don't want to do twice. I can get by without the belts for now, those aren't too difficult to replace, but I really would like to do the pump while I am there, kinda dumb not to with the fact that it's a miracle the thing is still going.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So you finally did it after 3 months! Next will be the head gasket since it only got a little warm........:whistling:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
LOL no no headgaskets on this car. Extremely rare for this motor to blow one, and the car stayed parked until the leak was fixed. No overheating, just got a little warm.